Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Outback Sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer, I switched over from a 7" jensen touch screen stereo(that was professionally installed) over to a new Sony stereo that I installed. Before i get to the problem, I just wanna say that all the wires are hooked up right....im pretty sure lol. When swapping over to the Sony unit (dsx-100) i simply used the harness that the pro made for the previous stereo and just matched the wires. Now when I first matched the wires I didnt have any electric tape so I said wth and just used duct tape. Now that worked and it sounded great! Now lets fast forward to about 3 months ago. It had just started getting cold and I was using my heat frequently when I noticed a weird smell almost like burning rubber although I'm not quite sure. After that the my stereo started acting up. It would sound kinda poor but after the car warmed up it got better. I said ok no more duct tape, I'll use shrink wrap on all the wires. Still nothing. Now its gotten even worse. The high pitch sounds and when people say 'S's it sounds very distorted while I use my Ipod via USB then when i switch over to radio, that problem goes away and the bass is distorted. I replaced my front speakers with newer kenwoods, I've pulled it apart a dozen times, checked the wires and I cant seem to find the issue. Now im not sure if its the Sony head unit(which my friend almost begged me not to buy) or the speakers or the wires or a combination. I know I'm not being very clear but any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. I bugs the piss out of me to listen to such shitty music that I even sold my subs and amp and almost all my music stuff all together(weight reduction lol)

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Outback Sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the duct tape was still intact and all the connections were fine when i put the shrink wrap on so idk. Ill see if a different head unit makes a difference otherwise I'm going tune-less

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.