Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so recently my steering wheel started shaking when I'm on the brakes. It's only the steering wheel, I don't feel shaking in the pedal, car or anywhere else. Also it's only while braking lightly. Once I start braking hard it goes away.
I just had an alignment and recently balanced my wheels. I got new oem rotors no more than 6 months ago, so I don't see how it could be rotors. the pads still have a lot of life on them and look fine, not worn awkwardly or anything at least that I can see, I'm not sure what pads they are though. I don't feel any dragging so I'm assuming my calipers are all working properly. I'm not sure what else it could be, it's not the same as any other brake shake I've seen (as described above). I was thinking maybe axles or bearings or something on the suspension, but why would it only do it when I brake? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

· Premium Member
99 RS, 01 RS, 01 Forester S
1,707 Posts
I'd still bet the brake rotors.

How'd you break in the pads and rotors?

It may not be to late to try again if you didnt break them in right the first time.

I'd find a unpopulated highway stretch with some off ramps (be careful). I'd slow down abruptly and repeatedly from 60 mph to like 10 mph on an off ramp. Try not to come to a complete stop. If you have to stop try and coast not using your brakes. Do this three or four times letting the brakes cool off a little with more highway driving.

Improper beading of the brakes can lead to what you describing. I had a shit pair of the ebc brake pads that made me think I had bad rotors.

Good luck

· Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
404 Posts
I would say it's more than likely your front rotors. If you let go of the wheel and apply moderate break pressure, does the car pull to the left or the right? Generally, the side the car pulls to is the culprit.

Put the car up on stands, remove the wheel and inspect the rotors, you may feel scoring, or even rust. If you feel scoring, that can be because your brake pads are wearing out. If you feel rust, that could be from 3 things, lack of driving, brake pads are so worn they don't make contact, or your pistons are frozen on that side of the caliper.

· Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd still bet the brake rotors.

How'd you break in the pads and rotors?

It may not be to late to try again if you didnt break them in right the first time.

I'd find a unpopulated highway stretch with some off ramps (be careful). I'd slow down abruptly and repeatedly from 60 mph to like 10 mph on an off ramp. Try not to come to a complete stop. If you have to stop try and coast not using your brakes. Do this three or four times letting the brakes cool off a little with more highway driving.

Improper beading of the brakes can lead to what you describing. I had a shit pair of the ebc brake pads that made me think I had bad rotors.

Good luck
Yeah that's what I did when I first got the rotors. I could give it another try though.

I was thinking fluid may have something to do with it, but was leaning towards that not being it. I just bought some super blue either way, just need time to put it in, hopefully that'll fix it, if not then I'll have to keep troubleshooting.

As for the rotors, I'll see if it pulls at all. I already looked at the rotors and pads, they seem fine from what I can see/feel.

· Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump :bump:

ok so I got the super blue in. After words the shaking was still there but significantly less. I proceded to re bed-in my brakes. This got rid of the shaking altogether for about 2 days. Then it came back, however it's still not as bad as it was before changing the fluid. This week I had a chance to get the whole car off the ground, turn it on and check everything out. First thing I noticed was my front axles. They're not bent, but both of them wobble a little while turning. The whole axle does this on both sides in the front only. The rears stay perfectly still. Are they supposed to be like this? Or are all my front cv joints loose or something, and how can I fix this?
But if the axles were the problem wouldn't I feel that even when not braking?

Also my right front rotor would stay still while my left front would spin really fast. Is my right caliper giving more resistance than the left?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.