Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2005 Legacy GT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been getting a steering wheel shake upwards of 60. It usually comes and goes. I've had my wheels balanced, new tires, new whiteline balljoints and outer tie-rods. The alignment guy at Sears said my D/S inner tie-rod has some play which may be the reason i'm getting a shake. I need a second opinion. Also, What do you guys think about generic e-bay inner tie rods?
-Steve

· Registered
2005 Legacy GT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
149k. i'm gonna go down on my car (no pun intended) and give the tie-rod a tug to ck for play. Prolly gonna get it replaced anyway. thanks for the replies. keep them coming!
-Steve

· Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
11,959 Posts
Tie rods will do that, as will other suspension parts such as bushings, etc. Personally, I think crucial parts like that should be replaced with OEM quality replacements. I don't go cheap on items that could kill me. ;)

· Registered
'06 LGT SWP
344 Posts
I also get a +60mph shake when on the highway, but thats from me hitting a sidewalk 2 years ago, got my bearing replaced, but i should have gotten the whole hub and knuckle changed, since i beleive thats what's causing my wheel to shake, its not perfectly straigh anymore... But i could be wrong..

JP

· Registered
2005 Legacy GT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i was under the impression that a bad bearing would make a humming noise. axle/u-joint nose would make a clicking noise, and tie-rods can cause shaking. thanks. I'll try to look for some Moog components.
-Steve

· project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
4,042 Posts
I had a worn right front ball joint that caused a lot of steering wheel shake, but if you've already replaced all that stuff, seems like tie rods might be your best bet.

· Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
15,387 Posts
make sure you don't have a bad wheel bearing. at 150k, this is a common problem on subies. just lift your wheel off the ground a little, grab the tire on both sides and attempt to wobble the tire. if the whole rim should give a little bit of play. if its excessive, (judgement call) then you may have a bad wheel bearing. you can replace the wheel bearings by having them repacked at a shop OR you can replace the whole entire hub with an 04 sti.

· Registered
2005, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 rs s
147 Posts
I had my steering wheel shake when I hit the brakes after going 60 mph +, The reason for my shaking was due to warped rotors. I don't know if that is the case for you but have the rotors checked if you haven't yet

· Registered
98 2.5RS, GT30R, Haltech E1000
1,299 Posts
I had my steering wheel shake when I hit the brakes after going 60 mph +, The reason for my shaking was due to warped rotors. I don't know if that is the case for you but have the rotors checked if you haven't yet
I've got mild pulsating right now myself... I let my friend take it to his shop to fix it...and charge my AC.... all he ended up doing was crashing my car into a co-worker :rolleyes: now I have AC...but it still SHAKES ....I'm gona fucking give
up on people

· Registered
2005 Legacy GT
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all your help guys. It turned out to be the d/s inner tie rod. The old ones didn't seem to have much play... but, there was play. I changed them today and did a driveway toe alignment with some string. now my steering wheel is off center but the car points STRAIGHT with no pulls.
-Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.