Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! This just happened when i got off the freeway , Everytime i turn the wheel and put on a little power, my steering wheel starts to jerk violently. I don't know what is going on,

I do not have a flat tire.

·
Banned
1993 Nissan Skyline GTR32
200 Posts
A few questions: Did you hit anything recently? Anything from a curb to a giant pot-hole? Did anyone borrow your car that may have hit something?

Biggest issue to cause that IMO: bent control arm, if you didn't hit anything and it happend "all of a sudden" then I doubt its the control arm, perhaps it's the inner or outter tie rod that's slightly bent (rock kicked up and hit it? idk), or on the less serious end, you need your wheel(s) to be balanced, although unlikely to cause a serious wheel jerk. Might also want to change/look at your balljoints if you're doing the tie rod ends. All of these small parts are inexpensive, and labor shouldn't be TOO much. (tie rods inner, outter and ball joints = $100 tops. And then another ~$100 for labor, which is kinda high). Other than that, I don't see anything else that can cause a jerky wheel..

Btw, if you're driving straight, does the wheel shake ("dance") side-to-side on its own? Or "rock" side to side?

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
To add to the above, does it also make a grinding/crunching sound when it jerks? This usually points to a wheel bearing

·
Registered
2001 BRP Impreza RS Sedan
318 Posts
Something like this is happening to me at ~60 -70 MPH on the freeway. The steering wheel shakes side to side but doesn't seem like it affects the track of the car. It happened before I swapped my steering wheel and is still happening after.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Something like this is happening to me at ~60 -70 MPH on the freeway. The steering wheel shakes side to side but doesn't seem like it affects the track of the car. It happened before I swapped my steering wheel and is still happening after.
This sounds like your tire/wheels are out of balance, probably lost a wheel weight somehwere. Take it in to a tire shop and have it rebalanced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts