Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RS Sedan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I started to notice a vibration in my steering wheel. It would occur usually when turning left, at any amount of rotation, but could also happen occasionally when turning right. I got my car checked out because I was going on a road trip and my mechanic said he couldn't find any reason for the vibration, but that he checked everything which could fail and assured me that I would be safe on my trip. This gave me peace of mind, but the vibration remained.

I am now on the trip and noticed my steering wheel squeaking last time I drove. The vibration is still there now, in addition to the squeaking.

I have searched/read a few threads about similar vibrations and squeaks and some of the threads say these problems go away once the car has been warmed up. I can assure you that the vibration problem doesn't change whether or not the car is warmed up. The squeaking may however go away, haven't driven enough yet to know, but I will update when I know.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Does this pose any problems that should make me worry about driving the couple hundred miles back home?

Short summary:

-vibration in steering wheel during turns (with power and during idle) - been happening for a few weeks.
-squeaking in steering wheel during turning - just started last night.

Also, info on the car:

2000 Subaru 2.5 RS manual with around 85,000 miles. Everything is original except the intake and the shifter bushings which were replaced with kartboy shifter bushings. The clutch is starting to slip so that will be replaced soon too.

Any input will be highly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RS Sedan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe my mechanic checked it when he did the trip-check which was a little over a week ago. I will check it again in the morning though.

The squeaking really sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel itself. I admit I haven't checked, but is there any way the steering wheel itself could be loose? causing the vibration and the squeaking?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru RS Sedan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm well I would love to hear if you come up with any ideas for what might be the cause. I just started to get used to it. One change though is that it happens at colder temperatures more. Same for you?

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
Edit: wow threadbump.

Vibration during turning only leads my brain toward cv joints. They can live like that for a while before they're eventually unlivable if that turns out to be it.

Squeaking wheel coming from the wheel is probably just that. Clean and armorall in between the back of the steering wheel and the stationary plastic housing and see if that helps. Think dental floss with a folded shop towel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.