Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
EJ205'ed 2000 RS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm almost ready to start my first swap and I was wondering if I need to do anything to the steering rack when swapping a v7 EJ207 into a 1999 RS.

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
steering rack really has nothing to do with the engine other than the lines that goto the pump, worst case you can have custom lines made to fit.
if you did want to swap an sti rack into your car you would have to swap the steering column to match as well.
the spline count on the rack, column and coupler changed in '02 so you need to swap everything.
I used an 04 forester xt rack and an 02 wrx column and coupler in my wagon and it works great.

·
Registered
Y2K GM6 & 65 'Stang Fastback
816 Posts
steering rack really has nothing to do with the engine other than the lines that goto the pump, worst case you can have custom lines made to fit.
if you did want to swap an sti rack into your car you would have to swap the steering column to match as well.
the spline count on the rack, column and coupler changed in '02 so you need to swap everything.
I used an 04 forester xt rack and an 02 wrx column and coupler in my wagon and it works great.
Just to elaborate a little on this, you do not need to swap the column from another car! But you will need to combine the STi and RS link to make it work. L&E Fabrications makes one or...

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t203274-diy-rs-steering-rack-joint-accept-sti-rack.html

The column is doing it the hard way, in my opinion. To use the STi you will need the STi lines and of course, as route69L said, you can make custom lines if you would like. Do the swap and use the JDM lines and the RS rack, I'm pretty sure that combo will work.

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
Just to elaborate a little on this, you do not need to swap the column from another car! But you will need to combine the STi and RS link to make it work. L&E Fabrications makes one or...

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t203274-diy-rs-steering-rack-joint-accept-sti-rack.html

The column is doing it the hard way, in my opinion. To use the STi you will need the STi lines and of course, as route69L said, you can make custom lines if you would like. Do the swap and use the JDM lines and the RS rack, I'm pretty sure that combo will work.
jdm ps lines will not work with a usdm steering rack, the fittings are different on the lines and the rack. usdm lines are male at the rack, jdm lines are female at the rack, without some sort of adapter fitting they wont work.

you can try and weld an rs and an sti coupler together but its really hard to make sure they are perfectly aligned. I had two couplers welded together and the coupler was off just a bit which caused a hard spot while turning, not good going into a corner at 80mph on the track.
swapping columns is cheap, easy and allows you to use the oem coupler, I purchased a complete 02 wrx column on ebay for about $50. I prefer oem vs modified oem parts for my car since it will see track time...

·
Registered
Y2K GM6 & 65 'Stang Fastback
816 Posts
Good call, I wasn't sure about the lines, I'm sure there is a small adapter you can get if you wanted to use the lines. Only reason I said that was because it's an option if you want to keep the PS pump.

I did that DIY I posted. It worked out flawlessly, I used it at the track right after I was done, absolutely no issues whatsoever. Everyone has different options, use what works :)!!

·
Registered
EJ205'ed 2000 RS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. RS I was going to swap into turned out to be a piece of ****. So I guess I have to try and find another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts