Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'97 BrightonRS '93 Impreza FWD
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have questions...

My steering rack creaks and pops. I originally though it was the axles, but I replaced them with brand new ones and it didn't change anything. No matter what I am doing, the steering rack makes a 'groan' noise with any input from the steering wheel. The steering rack also seems to like to get caught in the direction I am turning... So when I make a left turn, the car pulls left, right turn and the car pulls right. Has anyone experienced this before and what was the problem?

Also, it was brought to my attention that Subaru says to use brake fluid and NOT power steering fluid... why?

·
Registered
Black 2001 RS
787 Posts
Brake fluid for....power steering? No. It uses ATF, AKA power steering fluid.

Check the steering rack bushings, they're accessible from under the car, you need remove nothing to get to them. That groan may be the PS pump getting old.

·
Registered
'97 BrightonRS '93 Impreza FWD
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake fluid for....power steering? No. It uses ATF, AKA power steering fluid.

Check the steering rack bushings, they're accessible from under the car, you need remove nothing to get to them. That groan may be the PS pump getting old.
Yes yes ATF... :facepalm: that's what I meant lol. I did not think ATF and P/S fluid were the same.

I will check those bushings, thanks!

·
Registered
'00 RS EG33, '05 STI, '92 SVX
135 Posts
They are not. More than likely the pump is old becuase it has never had a drain/flush/fill. The creaking is potentially cavitation due to bad rotor vanes. Replace pump, and fill with atf.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.