Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Steering rack bushings?

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  2.5RSMatt 
#1 ·
Anyone tried these? I don't think I've seen these before.

"Designed as direct replacements, these high quality, polyurethane bushings replace the factory rubber units to help firm up the steering input and feel.

Whiteline KSR200 Impreza/2.5 RS front steering rack bushings - $20/pair"

And only $20...

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html

#2 ·
So no one has any opinions/experience with these thingies? I'm thinking that they're kinda gimmicky. I personally haven't felt like my steering was lacking so far, but maybe I'm missing out on something. Has anyone replaced they're steering rack before?

#5 ·
I have them on my car. Really nice, greatly improves feedback on turn in. Basically I have full feedback throughout the whole turn. Before, it was mainly like half a second to a second where I couldn't tell how the car was handling as I was going into the corner. Overall a good investment. Installation was kind of annoying but if you stick with it it'll eventually go in. Also I noticed a little more feedback in the steerwheel for highway driving, nothing I don't mind.

#6 ·
I had some work done to my car due to an accident and they had to replace the Rack I ordered them and had them installed I feel that there is more feedback through the wheel which I think is a good thing. I did not install so I cannot speak to that.

--Troy

#14 ·
Honestly, how much of a PITA is the intall? I know that it's tight, but what else makes it difficult? I've had Whiteline bushings sitting in my garage for a month now (with a bunch of other pieces), but have not had the time to put them in.

You and Scubaru have me all skeered Jud :help: ...

lump

#16 ·
lumpy said:
Honestly, how much of a PITA is the intall? I know that it's tight, but what else makes it difficult? I've had Whiteline bushings sitting in my garage for a month now (with a bunch of other pieces), but have not had the time to put them in.

You and Scubaru have me all skeered Jud :help: ...

lump
basically getting under the car and just jiggling until they finally fit in. The passenger side is cake, the driver side is a bitch and a half.

#17 ·
4wdFury said:
basically getting under the car and just jiggling until they finally fit in. The passenger side is cake, the driver side is a bitch and a half.
Is it just the lack of room because of the placement of the lines, the square shape of the driver's side bushing or something more? I gotta admit, I'm not real warm and fuzzy about having to loosen the column as some have suggested. I sure hope that it doesn't come to that :( ...

lump

#21 ·
Bushings Update.

Well the other day Steve (kostamojen) and myself, well mostly Steve, installed my whiteline steering bushings I purchased from subaruwrxparts.com
The driver side was being a real PITA but we finally were able to get it on and when it came time to put the passenger side one on we notcied that is was too small. :mad: Yeah I ordered the wrong ones. Here's the deal. I checked on kastleskorner about which bushings to order, the KSR200 or 202 and the site said for the GC8 to order 200 and for the WRX to order 202. Well I contacted subaruwrxparts.com about it this morning and Brian got back to me within an hour letting me know that the different sizes vary on different model RS's. He is going to swap me the passenger side bushing for a larger one.

Word of advice, measure your bushings before ordering. The passenger side bushing will be either 25mm or 30mm so get that ruler out and make sure you buy the right ones.

Did I feel any difference with just the drivers side bushing? Yes, not a tremendous amount but enough for me to notice. Steering feels more ridgid not with less play. I'm sure it will feel much better once I get the other bushing in.

Are the bushings worth the money? Yes.

I'll personally recommend getting them from www.subaruwrxparts.com as they have wonderful service and will ship right away. BTW I'm not bagging on kastleskorner, it is a mistake easilly made by anyone and is personally my fault for not properly checking by measuring.

Matt L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.