Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 subaru 2.5rs w/ wrx swap
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 about turn 18 in march I recently bought a 2001 RS My Dream car you could say and I wanna start making her drive better! What's suspension,breaks do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
what are you going to do with the car? how much can you afford to budget towards each item?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daily driver for now would like to go to track in summer to try it out. I have a steady job so I don't really have a budget just trying to get good part so I don't have to keep replacing them .

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
I see your profile says its swapped already, wanna tell us whats already been done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 2.5 wrx motor with sti turbo n invidea down pipe to apexi exhaust all 3inch has also invidea up pipe has the wrx sub frame stock headers.stage 2 excdy clutch and flywheel.06wrx harness complete with column and computer.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
A 2.5 wrx motor with sti turbo n invidea down pipe to apexi exhaust all 3inch has also invidea up pipe has the wrx sub frame stock headers.stage 2 excdy clutch and flywheel.06wrx harness complete with column and computer.
Damn, son. Can we has pics? lol

Sounds like it's good to go powertrain-wise.

What suspension is on it now? Personally for street use, I recommend a spring/strut combo as opposed to coilovers. Coilovers are more complex, tend to rust more, and NEED to be corner balanced to work correctly.. plus they're much more expensive. You're looking at $1500+ for a set and they tend to have higher spring rates.. which aren't super daily driver friendly unless you love being jarred around or don't have many pothole where you like.

Given you are swapped, I'd go with springs and a higher end adjustable strut. AGX work well, but I wouldn't consider them high end. They do have adjustability. D-Specs are great, but I have no idea of they make them for GC.

Brakes wise, getting something like StopTech pads and Centric's premium rotors are good. If you're looking to spend more, a full 4-2 pot upgrade is usually next. More expensive, but they look better and will stop a bit better as the rotors themselves are bigger.

All depends. Honestly, I roll with the Stoptech/Centric combo with a heavier GD WRX and find they have a TON of stopping power for the street and autocross. Tires are your main stopping issue... what tires/wheels do you have? More grip with tires = better stopping, cornering, etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Only swapped over the engine/running gear? Didn't do WRX brakes or anything?

If thats the case, cheap way to go is 02-05 WRX front rotors and calipers. Or go 4pot 06/07 WRX with that years rear calipers. That'll give you more braking. I suggest doing NAPA/Centric/etc rotors and Hawk pads of your flavor. I run HPS pads on my RS and STi, dust isn't HORRIBLE, but could be better.

Next id do Sway bars and end links. I think 22mm rear and 18mm front is a good set up(someone can correct me...), end links are rather, generic.

Then suspension. Could do KYB struts and lowering spring, or go coils. Can find a set of decent coils that may need one rebuilt for less than $100 for cheap on here if your patient.

My .02cents.

Edit-cmiovino beat me...lol. I was typing...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, son. Can we has pics? lol

Sounds like it's good to go powertrain-wise.

What suspension is on it now? Personally for street use, I recommend a spring/strut combo as opposed to coilovers. Coilovers are more complex, tend to rust more, and NEED to be corner balanced to work correctly.. plus they're much more expensive. You're looking at $1500+ for a set and they tend to have higher spring rates.. which aren't super daily driver friendly unless you love being jarred around or don't have many pothole where you like.

Given you are swapped, I'd go with springs and a higher end adjustable strut. AGX work well, but I wouldn't consider them high end. They do have adjustability. D-Specs are great, but I have no idea of they make them for GC.

Brakes wise, getting something like StopTech pads and Centric's premium rotors are good. If you're looking to spend more, a full 4-2 pot upgrade is usually next. More expensive, but they look better and will stop a bit better as the rotors themselves are bigger.

All depends. Honestly, I roll with the Stoptech/Centric combo with a heavier GD WRX and find they have a TON of stopping power for the street and autocross. Tires are your main stopping issue... what tires/wheels do you have? More grip with tires = better stopping, cornering, etc.
I don't know how to post pics of it. And It was a good deal I got it for $2,300 just had to get the wiring for the swapp done. It needs a paint job but I was gonna paint it anyways. It has stock wheels/suspension etc... I was thinking stop tech as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only swapped over the engine/running gear? Didn't do WRX brakes or anything?

If thats the case, cheap way to go is 02-05 WRX front rotors and calipers. Or go 4pot 06/07 WRX with that years rear calipers. That'll give you more braking. I suggest doing NAPA/Centric/etc rotors and Hawk pads of your flavor. I run HPS pads on my RS and STi, dust isn't HORRIBLE, but could be better.

Next id do Sway bars and end links. I think 22mm rear and 18mm front is a good set up(someone can correct me...), end links are rather, generic.

Then suspension. Could do KYB struts and lowering spring, or go coils. Can find a set of decent coils that may need one rebuilt for less than $100 for cheap on here if your patient.
My .02cents.

Edit-cmiovino beat me...lol. I was typing...
Yeah that's all that was done to it as far as I know that's the information the pervious owner gave me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't want to go too cheap I plan on slowly building it up and my goal is to push about 400hp to the wheels. If it's gonna be a strong running car I want it to be ready before it gets that kind of power.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Yeah that's all that was done to it as far as I know that's the information the pervious owner gave me
If any WRX version of the brakes were swapped over, I think you're good to go with those calipers. Freshening up the rotors/pads can help. I'd keep it as it is. Look into a master cylinder brace for a more positive feel. It won't directly help you stop better, but will help with the brake feel... which is nice and feels more sporty. They're around $75 and can be installed in 20min with hand tools.

I did forget swaybars, which Pittcrew mentioned.

From what we're finding out now, it looks like this car has a bunch of modified stuff on it... I'd look into more about finding what you have first. If we're telling you to get WRX brakes and you already have them, no use swapping them then lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now there's still lots of snow outside but as soon as it starts getting a bit warmer I will be looking more in to everything it has. I doubt it has anything done to suspension and breaks the previous owner said he had kept it sock till he dropped the WRX In

·
Registered
'98 L Coupe
116 Posts
i like how you think. for a solid DD, ive found that you should factor in a good ratio of comfort, performance, and reliability. You should decide how long you going to keep the car, and what percentage it's going to be DD vs track/HPDE/Competition How many miles are you going to realistically put on the car a yr? How easy would it be to get replacement/maintenance parts?

Suspension: I'm running AST on my other car and I've found that it's expensive to buy, expensive to maintain (if anything breaks), and it wears out faster than i expected. I exclusively DD the car with occasional canyon runs. I put about 7-10k a yr on the car, of which 90% is commute miles. Ive gotten about 2 yrs out of the ASTs before they need to go back for a nitrogen recharge. The recharge itself is cheap, but i expected to get at least 5 yr of use before anything like this would be required. However, the benefits vastly outweigh the minor inconveniences. Was it worth it? yes. Would i do it again? probably not since there are other setups out there that will give me the same performance and comfort with longer periods of reliability. Cheaper too, i might add.

Brakes: For brakes, ive found that running high grade pads on the street is kind of a waste of money. I usually have 2 sets of pads and rotors for cars that intend to see dual purpose. one set of track pads and rotors, and one set of slightly higher than oem performance pads and rotors for the street. its easy to change them out the night before i go out driving, or before a track event. But i do recommend doing all the other reliability mods like SS brake lines, clean performance fluids, and reliable master cyl and slave (if youre running hydro). The calipers themselves should also be inspected occasionally for binding and wear. As to the actual parts themselves, i'm still learning as well so no recommendation from me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking track around 2 times a month but I do love cruising back roads. As for DD I work within 15 min of my house 15 minutes of school so I wouldn't use it much only when I have days off work/school. Trying to stay with 10k a year no beat it too much to try to save money so when it does blow I have money to have it fully rebuilt from the inside! I really plan to never sell this car unless god forbid I am in need of money for an emergency. I'm really trying to so my reasearch and get the DYI projects out the way to begin.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Aren't wheel cylinders for drum brakes? Seems kinda pointless if all 4 corners are disk....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts