Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So now the patch is in and welded; weld, grind, weld......

This is now ready for duraglass and bondo

The next panel is in

Now the final panel is in. All the rot has been repaired on the left side.

So to put in the square hole for the rocker fastener I made a scribe template our of an Orange Juice bottle

I needed to make a hole like shown

I used the rocker as the guide where to put the hole. Notice the rocker will hide most of the repair.

Here is the hole in the rocker. I drilled it out then used a dremel bit to clear the corners. Notice the hole drilled in the rocker flange, this is to allow the water channel in the rocker drain out of the the flange

YES the rear fascia is trialed with its fasteners looking good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok some more updates. I made a "plug gauge" out of some ABS strips and sanded it until it fit the stock square hole then used it to tune the holes I had to put into the metal.

Looks good

So the Ebay fenders I bought are NFG - don't buy these, they really don't fit the car. With lots and lots and lots of fiddling the would probably fit but it was less work to just fix the OE fenders. I used part of the lower from the new to patch the original then used the rest to practice dent pulling.

Most of it is hidden but it turned out quite nice when I was done.

Bay clean up day. Wow was it a mess. Now on to make new ones.

$300 Worth of bits. In the end this will not be cheap. I will tally up the cost of it all in a later post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I fabbed up some jacking reinforcements so the pinch flange would not get all "jacked up" when changing to race wheels.

Welded in and all sealed up

Ok now getting to it with Evercoat Glass Lite to cover the welding areas.

Smear, sand, smear , sand, smear, sand......you get the point

Evercoat RAGE!

Guide Coat

Coming together

A little dent repair. It actually turned out not too bad.

All prepped

Final masking for the overspray

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally Epoxy Primer!!

So the metal is all done on the left side. I have the finish the fender and prime it then undercoat the car and put the mechanicals back together then start over again on the right side. Fortunately it isn't as badly rusted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
NEED HELP!! I need a photo(s) of the body metal around the fuel filler neck. I can't tell what it is supposed to look like and our car is really NFG. I will post pics soon. A couple of photos in with the fuel filler door open would help a lot. Help a brother out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well lots to catch up on. Still along way to go but we are making progress. Good to get some of the bits off the floor and replaced. Some pics of the brake rebuild. When we got the car the brakes were really weak. After the tear down I could see the rears were totally frozen with dirt, rust etc. Fortunately the caliper pins were not corroded in the slide pockets.

Yes I have a small medial blaster too. Can't really seeing rebuilding brakes without one.

Afterword looks better than new. I use the VHT caliper paint and have had good results with it on street cars. Down the road this will all likely be replaced with race brakes.

Another comparison, blasted vs not blasted.

One corner done. :) The rotor and pads looked fairly new. Probably should replace those too but will try to see if I can get by with these. Already have cubic $$ in this.

So three of the corners had some parts I could carry over but the right rear the jounce pad was complete disintegrated and the dust boot had a crack in it. All new OE Subie bits for the pins, seals, bleed screws, and bolts.

Just for reference I have these guys too

All the hardware is cleaned and ready for reinstall

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
OK back to the body. I thought the right side would be better but whoa was I wrong. I can't believe how many schlock mechanics are still out there. The repairs on this car have been mind blowing to say the least. (BTW watch this, I feel for these guys
)

The lower rear quarter looks similar to the other side was. I was trying to figure out how to work around the fuel filler neck but that will sort out later in this post.

So I start to deep dive the fuel filler area and started shaking my head on how it was looking, "Wow that is a lot of rust", I removed the "fuel Saucer" I know that name because that is the Subaru part name for it. :-(

This is an interesting pic, I will explain what is going on here:

So it isn't really apparent but I have a light shining from the hole in the lower rear quarter (out side of the car) and it is illuminating the gas cap from the inside. Hmm doesn't really seem to be sealed. OK "HOW DOES IT WORK?"

So lets look at the saucer, Hmm I see the drain and drain tube but there isn't any type of seal on the back SOOOO that could only mean that in a fuel overflow the gas will run right into the rear quarter and fill up the right side of the trunk. JUST AWESOME! WTF!!

This is when I put the shout out for pics of what it is supposed to look like. BTW HUGE THANKS TO md00150028 for the pics. That really helped.

More weirdness from the schlock repair guys.

I though that was an OE doubler at first but after walking this through I realized it was another NFG repair job.

Just to make it super confusing there is also this:

That is an OE vent or drain of some type in the lowest part of the rear quarter. That indicates to me Subaru had this as a countermeasure in case the rear filled up with fuel.

So I took a look at the "fuel saucer" and see it was all cut away in the repair. (WTF! Why do this!? How dangerous!)

At this point it all had to come out. It was apparent the fuel filler neck was removed before in. It was super easy to remove.

Let's hear it for pigeon rubbers!

Capped it all off and removed the fuel filler neck.

Just to the right of the "A" and above it is a plug for the fuel hose. I happened to have an old aluminum plug gauge used to size intake ports for porting. Fit like a gem!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Check this out:

Looking good! ;-)

Just getting better!

That hole you see in the center goes right into the trunk,

OK now for the clean up. Can't forget this one, the inner shock tower hole where it all got started. This side was worse that the left.

Rotted metal cut away

On the floor to be discarded;

So after ordering a "Fuel Saucer", kinda a pricey part too here is the comparison:

The left one is the new one and had a the proper flange and it comes with the fuel filler gasket too.

Here is the "B" side and you can see the gasket ti supposed to "kiss up" to the sheetmetal.

The fuel fuller has this gasket:

I have deduced it all sandwiches together with sheet metal between this gasket and the Fuel Saucer gasket. This is what it looks like without the sheet metal and plastic shroud from the fuel saucer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
One more reference pic

OK I am off to do some welding. Patched several of the bits in the rear quarter yesterday so it is slowly moving forward. Making a little relief for that goofy vent.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts