Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 99 Legacy A/T w/ 2.5
Where is the starter, and how easy is it to replace myself?

Thanks

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was the starter too, but then someone told me that's the ignition coil and the starter is somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
Starter and solonoid are on the same 2 bolts on the bell housing. One is a bolt and the other is a nut, I think. It has been a while since I looked, but I did replace mine in a parking lot. Nothing like coming out after a nice dinner and finding your car won't start. At all.

Just be sure to disconnect the leads to the starter and put them far away from each other, as you could short out the battery. This is bad. Otherwise, any starter from a Subaru A/T should be fine. I think my replacement was a used Forrester starter that I bought on eBay. And before I "moved" to Germany, it was working fine and my family hasn't called to tell me the car is broken yet, so I assume it is still working fine.

There are a lot of hoses and things in the way. Removing the airbox/intake may be a worthwhile thing as well in order to gain more work space. Ratcheting wrenches are a godsend, if not you may be able to get a ratchet in there. The top bolt/nut is easy to do, it is the other one on the opposite side of the starter from the first one that is a royal PITA and will give you the most problems. But it is definitely doable by yourself.

·
Wagon Mafia
2002 WRX Wagon PSM
1,748 Posts
aegean93l said:
I thought that was the starter too, but then someone told me that's the ignition coil and the starter is somewhere else.
Ummm the ignition coil is on top of the intake manifold unless the motor is coil on plug. The starter on any impreza or legacy is on the drivers side, back near the firewall mounted to the top corner of the transmission on that side. It's fairly easy to change as long as you can reach the bottom bolt.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,884 Posts
Well there are two ways that subaru bolted the starter. Is your legacy DOHC? If it is you will have a stud on the bell housing. So when you take your hardware off it wont fall on you. Now if you are SOHC be careful there will be nothing holding it when you take the bolts out.

The top one goes from the top. The bottom one is much easier to get to from the bottom if you run the car up on ramps.

Before you replace the starter are you sure thats the problem. The battery is sometimes why it wont start. Before you get another one pop the starter out and take it to advance so then can check it.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kay95 said:
Well there are two ways that subaru bolted the starter. Is your legacy DOHC? If it is you will have a stud on the bell housing. So when you take your hardware off it wont fall on you. Now if you are SOHC be careful there will be nothing holding it when you take the bolts out.

The top one goes from the top. The bottom one is much easier to get to from the bottom if you run the car up on ramps.

Before you replace the starter are you sure thats the problem. The battery is sometimes why it wont start. Before you get another one pop the starter out and take it to advance so then can check it.
It's DOHC, and luckily I just bought some ramps, so it shouldn't be too hard.
It's definately the starter. It was having random problems starting this winter, and my mechanic told me the starter might be on it's way out, but would be hard to prove until it got worse. Yesterday it wouldn't start so we had it towed to the garage and the mechanic said it's the starter.

I can get one at a junkyard for $35. Is that a reasonable price? I figure the mechanic will probably charge at least $200 after labor and everything.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well I went ahead and bought the starter from the junkyard for $35. Probably install it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah... I'm still wondering what this thing on the firewall is. just out of curiosity. I always thought this was the starter for some reason.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished replacing the starter. And the best part is... it works! It only took less than an hour and it wasn't too hard at all.

I think I'll be going Premium pretty soon. This site has helped me out so many times and I want to finally give back.

·
Premium Member
98 RBP RS
674 Posts
aegean93l said:
Oh yeah... I'm still wondering what this thing on the firewall is. just out of curiosity. I always thought this was the starter for some reason.
windshield wiper motor :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts