Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did a engine swap on my 99 rs and everything was going fine until i turned the key. the new engine is an 06. i push started the car down my driveway and it turned over and started but the coolant was way to hot and i dont think the fans were spinning. the starter made a clicking noise that sounded like the battery was dead but i found out it had full battery power. so i thought the starter was broken so i bought a new one and its doing the same thing. what do i do???

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,212 Posts
i just did a engine swap on my 99 rs and everything was going fine until i turned the key. the new engine is an 06. i push started the car down my driveway and it turned over and started but the coolant was way to hot and i dont think the fans were spinning. the starter made a clicking noise that sounded like the battery was dead but i found out it had full battery power. so i thought the starter was broken so i bought a new one and its doing the same thing. what do i do???
Make sure you have all grounds and wires connected to the starter properly.
I've seen this before and one of the grounds was not making sufficient contact.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
Make sure you have all grounds and wires connected to the starter properly.
I've seen this before and one of the grounds was not making sufficient contact.

Good luck.
x2......sounds like its not getting enough power...

check not only the grounds on the starter but all your grounds, you may have forgot one...go ahead and wire brush it up....also clean the battery terminals.....etc...

·
Registered
2015 STI Crystal White Pearl
1,861 Posts
ooohh! looks like i'm not the only one who missed a ground. hope nothing got fried. if you miss certain main grounds that are supposed to be connected directly on the engine/block, your electrical components will find the lowest resistance ground path and ground itself out anywhere in your wiring harnesses. did you smell anything burning during the starting process?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts