1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current owner: StalkerGC
Current Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Years owned: January 2020-Present

This is a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 5-speed coupe in Rally Blue Pearl. It's the first in a new series of project cars I'm building. I work full time as a wedding photographer but since I'm off during the weekdays I've decided to share my love for the GC platform by starting a side project restoring 98-01 2.5RS coupes. I realize it's a very niche market but I've been infatuated with these cars for 20 years and owned them for 14 of those. I've had at least 15 GC imprezas over the years, at least half a dozen of them RS coupes. I've had a few swapped and modified ones and I'm aiming to completely restore this car and others that I've acquired to what I call "enthusiast spec". I'm planning for RSTi builds on all of them with super clean, rust free exteriors and some modified goodies. After seeing the Singer brand name associated with air cooled 911s, I see a market to assemble these cars into beautiful tastefully modified examples, built the way they "should" have came from the factory. I'm planning to do one or two of these a year and ship them off to happy enthusiasts who are unwilling/unable to do all the labor. I'm not really looking to make a huge profit over this, I'm doing it mainly for the cars and want to save as many RSs as possible with the resources and knowledge available to me.

On to this specific car, I acquired this car at 259,000 miles from an owner named Kreg near Lake Hopatcong NJ. He purchased the car from someone out in PA back in 2019 and I have no information about the car before this. I traded a stage2 2004 WRX sedan straight-up for for it because I just love these cars and I enjoy them more than GDs. It was my DD for a little while until I bought a newer Cadillac CT6 twin turbo which turned the RS into a weekend car. It's been well taken care of in my possession. The drivetrain and suspension are 100% stock but I threw in a few aesthetic goodies (JDM tails, dual cupholder, '01 CF trim, clear headlights, Bugeye front/rear seats).

This car was named Faith since I had the utmost faith in the car driving it on a whim across the country back in January of 2021. I had always wanted to do a "cannonball run" and made it solo from NJ-CA in 38 hours and 7 minutes, only stopping for gas and a few coffees. The car ran excellent (aside from the brakes wearing out) and didn't complain at all driving 80mph for a day and a half straight. Did I mention the cruise control didn't work? I had a very sore right foot when I finished. I started the journey at 265,000 and ended the 6 week adventure at 271,000 where it currently sits. It's currently being kept in a friends garage who takes it out once in a while for fun. It'll likely make it back to the StalkerGC restoration garage sometime next year.

This is the first car in the series since it's the first I picked up to do a full restoration to, but unfortunately it's probably going to be the third car I actually finish. I stashed it on the other side of the country since I'm out there quite often and it's a blast to drive in the desert. I also don't have to worry about storing it somewhere here in NJ as space is super limited among the other 5 cars I own.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
On to some cross country photos! All of them are shot on either my Nikon D5 with 35mm F1.4 lens or my Galaxy S7.

Making friends at High Point State Park in Sussex County, NJ

Crossing the Mississippi River in St Louis, about 14 hours into the initial drive.

Somewhere on I40 in New Mexico west of Albuquerque about 30-something hours in.

Somewhere near San Diego at over 38 hours with no sleep. I was EXHAUSTED by then but happy to see the other ocean. The car finally got to rest, too.

A view of the northeast end of the Grand Canyon off of Route 89 about 20 miles south of Horseshoe Bend near Page, AZ

Just outside Bryce Canyon National Park in South Central Utah.

Inside my all time favorite, Zion National Park in Southwestern Utah.

Second trip to Zion, hiking near Angel's Landing

Overlooking my favorite place in the world, Sedona AZ from the hills above Jerome.

This is I17 headed north into Flagstaff, AZ. After leaving Sedona I made the mistake of going through Flagstaff since route 89 was closed and I had to go around. I forgot about the 3000ft elevation difference (Sedona a little over 4000 and Flagstaff about 7000) and got caught in an insane blizzard with these whiteout conditions for over 3 hours. It was definitely the most nerve-wracking time I've ever spent driving. The 4.5 hour trip to Vegas turned into a 7 hour excursion. I'd rather drive cross country 10 more times than do that again. The car handled swimmingly but it was really stressful with no breaks in the storm until we were two hours from Nevada. This storm ended up being that same giant northeast snowstorm that dropped several feet all over NJ/NY/PA/etc. Who says it doesnt snow in the desert? I felt right at home like we were back in NJ.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Enjoying the winter weather hikes in Sedona, AZ

Took a trail rated for Jeeps, had a few front bumper scrapes but the car did fine. Near Sedona, AZ

Cruising around Death Valley on the CA/NV border. I was praying the car wouldn't have any issues as there's no service and it's really hot there (about 80 degrees in February). Survived with no issues!

That's all for now. I've started a brand new instagram account to showcase all of the builds and what's going on in the day-to-day life. It's a dead account right now but I'm going to be starting it up this week with all the photos on here plus more! IG: @ stalkergc

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man, definitely check it out! Its about 2.5hrs northeast of vegas, a quick drive if you fly/drive from there.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
157 Posts
Good read , and would love to see an RS/Singer . About the 80 mph , I`ve always had a hard time grasping that I`m not hurting the motor at the 4:11 geared RPM . Evidently not . Much luck with your new endeavor

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was cruising between 75-80 the whole time. Once out in AZ I was pushing it up near triple digits on some of the desolate roads and the car drove fine. 95% of the drive was "regular highway speeds" and the 270k mile EJ25d didn't even flinch once.

·
Registered
slow bugeye
1 Posts
I flew up to SFO from Long Beach to get mine and thought my drive was a bit of a mission. Holy shit! Kudos bro, I'll be following and hopefully I get to see this thing down in SD sometime.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was there for about 3 days, but if I make it down to socal again I'll let you know! Long drives arent as bad as I thought in the car. I'm wel over 6 ft tall and didnt feel uncomfortable at all. The bugeye seats sit at basically stock height.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah! Ive always had at least two at a time since 2007. 1 wagon, 4 sedans, 3 L coupes and 5 RS coupes that i can recall, they all blur together after a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah! Ive always had at least two at a time since 2007. 1 wagon, 4 sedans, 3 L coupes and 5 RS coupes that i can recall, they all blur together after a while.
I had some RS parts I was hoping to dump on you to support your endeavor. What'd you do with that engine and drivetrain stuff anyway?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will receive your dumps. I've still got everything actually, it's sitting in my garage. I was going to pull the one head off and see how bad the broken cam is and if the shortblock is salvageable. I've got 3 or 4 RS trans including yours and I'm sitting on the hubs in case a wheel bearing goes on one of the cars :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure if you're west coast based these days. I'll offer my help if you're still in the area. I haven't done any work on engine internals and I'd like to see it first hand.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in New Jersey, I just have this specific car stored out west. I'll be in touch when I do an engine teardown and you can come check it out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts