Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing out my oem pads after 67k and I'm swapping out rotors also. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and do the ss brake line upgrade or just wait till I have more cash and do it later. are they worth the $100 to get them?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
well, when i changed my brakes to subaru 4 pots, i put in SS lines too. whole different feeling in the brakes. i would say get it, and get speed bleeders too.

·
ghost impreza
2008 Subaru Legacy GT
363 Posts
As far as I know the master cylinder support bracket does something to the amount of pedal travel vs. how much braking force is actually applied. It is supposed to increse 'pedal feel' and therefore braking control. I don't know about you but my stock brake pedal feels soft. :burnout:

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
the SS lines will stiffen up the pedal a bit, and when your fluid gets hot the brake lines can't swell up. therefore you get the same amount of brake fluid pressure to the calipers. I say they are worth it. I did the lines, ATE super blue fluid, and speed bleeders in about an hour.

·
Registered
52 Posts
imprezars said:
the SS lines will stiffen up the pedal a bit, and when your fluid gets hot the brake lines can't swell up. therefore you get the same amount of brake fluid pressure to the calipers. I say they are worth it. I did the lines, ATE super blue fluid, and speed bleeders in about an hour.
I would only recomend them if your going to due and track or rally racing.

Otherwise the stock rubber hoses should be enough. I guess if you drive your car like your on a track then maybe you should get them.

If you really need that extra pedal control then get the lines. But get new fluid and pads before that.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
yes, do it... One of the best $100 mods out there... along w/ a short shifter...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
10th Warrior said:
all it does is increase "feel". it does jack for performance. pads and fluid on the other hand...
all 3 were done... ;)

the lines and fluid (which you will need w/ lines) did increase perf... you can modulate the brakes better...:D

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
It won't be money wasted especially since you have almost 70k on those rubber brake hoses. If you're a DRIVER get em!

What pads are you looking at??

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Well, call this sort of an "armchair" opinion since I've never used SS lines, however to me it seems they usually aren't a worthwhile mod. One for the butt dyno, and probably needed for show cars, but I don't really see the point.

Yes it doesn't allow the rubber to flex, but also, I would think that finding a possible problem in the line underneath the braiding would be difficult, if not impossible. At least with OEM lines, if it leaks you know where it's at...

New fluid and pads are probably the smarter move for those considering an either/or. If you want them for looks, fine, but if you really want to know about the performance aspect, do some research and see what you find, on both sides of the argument.

-S2-

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Siper2 said:
Well, call this sort of an "armchair" opinion since I've never used SS lines, however to me it seems they usually aren't a worthwhile mod. One for the butt dyno, and probably needed for show cars, but I don't really see the point.

Yes it doesn't allow the rubber to flex, but also, I would think that finding a possible problem in the line underneath the braiding would be difficult, if not impossible. At least with OEM lines, if it leaks you know where it's at...

New fluid and pads are probably the smarter move for those considering an either/or. If you want them for looks, fine, but if you really want to know about the performance aspect, do some research and see what you find, on both sides of the argument.

-S2-
hate to tell you, but you are wrong... the ss lines are great and as for problems... you shouldn't be having them...;)

and oh yeah, did the pads and fluid too... those are good mods as well...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts