Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you guys think. I had an ebay SRI on for about four months.

Today I just installed an autozone intake pipe on my stock torque box. Drove it. It nows screams at WOT, but finally my torque is back.

Don't know what to go with.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Good shit bro. I think I might do this. Would you recommend this over my CAI?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I haven't driven it further then a couple blocks so I can't tell exactly how well it works as a whole. But as far as I can tell now, my torque is finally back, which I have been missing for months. How much did you spend on your CAI?

·
Registered
22 Posts
what other mods do you have?
I just put o short ram on my car, and i'm not sure i like it. I have delta cams , perrin light weight crank pulley , i might try this , how much is that auto zone deal?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just simple cheap mods. Strut braces (front and rear), TB bypass, custom rad shroud, custom 2 3/8" exhaust with ebay muffler. Autozone intake pipe - 39.99.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Well I haven't driven it further then a couple blocks so I can't tell exactly how well it works as a whole. But as far as I can tell now, my torque is finally back, which I have been missing for months. How much did you spend on your CAI?
$150 if I recall

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Read up on "hybrid intakes" here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

And btw, I was reading some tech docs yesterday and the reason that "torque box" is there is specifically to gain low even torque/power (hence the name). In fact, the entire intake system was designed around that basically.

Also, isn't the filter already in the torque box there? I've seen some people just run a pipe down to the fender wall without a filter on the end because the filter is actually in that box.

·
ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
2,778 Posts
Read up on "hybrid intakes" here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

Also, isn't the filter already in the torque box there? I've seen some people just run a pipe down to the fender wall without a filter on the end because the filter is actually in that box.
+1 on the filter already being in there. The torque box has the panel filter in it already so another filter on the end would screw that up wouldnt it? Ive seen the Ganzflow intake for sale on here recently. Its basically a pipe that comes off the stock torque box and goes into the fender like a CAI. Supposed to be the best way to get colder air in there, flow better than the snorkus, and still maintain torque.

·
ITS TURBO TIME!
05 LGT limited
2,778 Posts
im actually in the middle of experimenting with short ram vs stock torque box. I bought that same one off ebay 2 weeks ago. It gives the car some extra breathing up top. but i do notice a slight...and i mean slight decrease in pull down low. My only issue is at WOT i cant hear my exhaust rumble over the intake noise. And the short ram definitely makes it sound like those riced up hondas imo.

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
I have a PDM CAI which they don't really make anymore. Basically as you can see it's just a pipe that goes into the fender. The downside is since I still have fogs I think it may still be drawing air from the engine compartment because according to my ScanGuage the IAT's are still pretty high. I even applied some foil to the intake to cut down radient heat and that cut temps about 20º or so, but there usually still higher than ambient. I think if I were to run on track I'd replace the fog on the right side with an intake duct and run some 3" hose from it to the pipe in the fender well.

I just changed my intake again adding a 3" elbow...

here's a link to my thread: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84807

1 - 10 of 10 Posts