Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh snap. Bad day for the scoob today. Sputtering and CEL came on. Didn't get it pulled yet, but I don't know if I'm going to.

I was going up a gentle hill, about 35MPH. 2K RPM, taking it easy. I look in my rear view mirror to see some asshole on a street bike doing a wheelie and going about 75 in a 25 zone. He sets it down and speeds past me like nuts.

Two seconds later, I hear the car sputtering lightly, but it still had power. The the CEL came on, flashing, then stayed on. I got to a parking lot and stopped to check the plugs and oil just in case. No problems, so I started it up again and seemed fine except the CEL is still on.

Probably just a misfire? Hence causing the light sputtering an CEL. Then it worked fine after the engine was shut down and started again. Usually those CELs go away on their own. I might reset the ECU at some point too I guess.

Edit: Guess I should post mods too. Prodrive oval tip axelback, PF grounding kit. That's it engine wise. I've had all that stuff on there for a year now.

· Registered
RIP 2000 2.5RS, 1999 RS
625 Posts
Why don't you get the CEL pulled to find out the problem? my guess is something wrong in the fuel delivery system? or maybe you have a faulty spark plug? I'm not sure can't really tell without the CEL pulled, even without the CEL showing the ecu stores it

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the codes pulled..

P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

The incident a few days ago was probably the misfire and the idle crap was probably from the intake I installed before resetting the ECU a few nights ago. I bogged down and didn't idle right until the ECU was reset. Either way, codes cleared. Everything works right again.

Might have to look more into the misfire thing though, that happens every year or two. What spark plug is for cylinder #2?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.