Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Got the front springs and struts on! Went to do the rear to find a destroyed top hat and the earliest I can get one is Tuesday so I guess the rear will have to wait till next weekend.

Just having the fronts on has made a major improvement in handing and overall driving!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Really impressed with how well the car handles with just the front. Makes me super excited to see how the rears compliment along with the notdestroyed top hat.

Side skirts are in the mail, along with a bunch of lighting stuff. Trying to make up my mind swap wise, but I think I'm coming to the right conclusions for what I want!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Had the front caliper seize on me, and as much as I wanted to upgrade rather than replace, I was pressed for time. So replaced with remanufactured one and am now hard core on the lookout for a brake upgrade. Went to put rear suspension on but was stop by some stubborn strut mount bolts. After some broken tools and choice words, I decided I was gonna let her beat me do I committed to FINALLY getting the rear RA flaps on.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ohhhhhhh snappppp look what showed up today!!!!!

JDM 4 Pot front calipers
RS 1 pot rear calipers
SS brake lines!

Gonna use common sense and get some blank rotors (H6 rear size btw) and some stop tech street pads! Just have to now gather the rest of the rear brake stuff.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Found some time this weekend to retrofit my headlights and I'm super excited for the results! Parts used will be in mod list, I'm iffy with my HID color choice (6000k), I kinda prefer a whiter look but I may get used to these!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

That's one of the few pics I have on my phone of the lip. Yes, bugeye 3 piece lip that's actually made to fit the RS bumper. I got it with the intention to wait untill I got a V6/RS bumper but got impatience haha it's doesn't fit that great, but the look has grown on me and you can't really tell how bad it fits until you are on top of it. It's mounted with self tapers, a heat gun, and some patience.

Also, visited the shop where I'm planning on picking up my swap and I think I'll be able to do a bit more than first planned! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Bought the baes some rubber this weekend. Got the FRS (girlfriends car) some sport comps and got my baewagon some Continental Extreme contact DW. EBAY has a special going on with Discount Tire Direct and got mine for $328 shipped! Good til the 17th I believe

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Not really much to update as far as the car goes. Tires showed up today but other than that just been getting ready to dive head first into this swap. I am going home to PA for a week, but once I get back, I plan on picking up the engine, trans, and some other goodies we will talk about later. Last weekend, I picked up an engine hoist, engine stand, and yesterday got myself a torch hehehe so I am pretty set tool wise! Once I have the engine and trans, I'll get a set list of everything I need (which I already kinda have an idea but we will see) and get this all rolling. Shooting for teardown to begin no later than April 15!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Finally got my sideskirts on and an s201 hood scoop showed up in the mail the same day! She is really coming together.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

So, this weekend was interesting.. started out by me finally getting a WRX 17mm rsb, the hubs I need to do the rear brake swap, and some parts for a hydro clutch for the swap! Then I go to install the sway bar and when I think I have everything together, I notice the rear wheel is super + cambered out, nopictooembaressing. The top hat had finally given up and the top of the strut was actually going into the fender well. So, I had to commit to getting the rear stuts on. The bottom bolts on both side haven't been touched in 20 years and this car grew up in PA, so they were not easy to get off. But some leverage and a whole can of PB helped get the job done. Really loving how she looks and especially how she handles!

Tl;dr: installed H&R springs and KYB top hats and struts+ 17mm WRX RSB. Car handles amazing now!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Parts are piling up again thanks to Facebook this week. Picked up a V6 grille and JDM roof rack from a guy from Europe off of Facebook. Then a local group member posted a Stromung exhaust! The axle back is legit, don't think the midlife is. Got it for a deal and prolly gonna chop or scrape the midpipe come swap time anyways hehe

Ps, secretly procrastinating the swap because I LOVE how she drive now :(

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 OBS Wagon
35 Posts

Parts are piling up again thanks to Facebook this week. Picked up a V6 grille and JDM roof rack from a guy from Europe off of Facebook. Then a local group member posted a Stromung exhaust! The axle back is legit, don't think the midlife is. Got it for a deal and prolly gonna chop or scrape the midpipe come swap time anyways hehe

Ps, secretly procrastinating the swap because I LOVE how she drive now :(

nice come ups, and yeah there are some really good pages on facebook for the gc/gf cars. Came across some parts myself that i didnt have the funds to get yet. lol But they keep on posting makin me tempted to buy anyway.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)

Had an ok weekend, painted the 6 spokes gold since the white was getting old, LOVE the gold. Also go the cat back on! Sounds great with a little but of NA rumble. Tried tackling the rear brakes but got stuck on a PO destroyed axle nut, thankfully I planned on changing axel when I swap anyways! Trying to pick up a pick up truck in the coming weeks to drive while I work on the BAEwagon.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Another week, another post lol

Pretty awesome weekend this week. My GF loved her FRS but it was just too small for her, so we have been looking to replace it. We'll this beautiful 08 OBXT came up for sale at a local dealership and we snatched it up! So far she is an amazing car.

And going back on subject I finally picked up a beater 98 Dodge Ram 1500 for a daily/tow rig. This IS HUGE for this swap. I'll use this to pick up all the parts, drive while I do the swap, and will then become a tow rig/work truck for me once bae is back together!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Some sex showed up in the mail! WRX wagon/JDM GC rear control arms fitted with TiC bushings!

Gonna take a trip to a shop called 42 autosports this week. I need to order some parts and have been looking for a localish tuner.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

More fun stuff popping up everywhere! KartBoy Short Shifter and bushing, and KartBoy transmission crossmember bushings. Just also ordered the TiC shifter update and once that comes in I'll see about installing them all to fix my limp donkey **** shifter.

*SwapSobStory
So, life always has its ways of butting in whenever I attempt a swap. Once again I am looking at another major move in the coming months. Could be Nashville, could be Cali, could be back home to PA, could be anywhere. So with that said, I am trying to make sure I am 100% ready to go at the drop of a hat, and taking apart the BAEwagon, no matter how much research and experience I have, I know unforseeable problems come up in cars and I can't afford for that to happen. So the swap is on hold FOR NOW. I still do have a bunch of parts that I'm gonna try and get installed and enjoy. The $$ isn't going anywhere, I've had the cash for a couple months but have hesitated to pull the trigger. Plans may change since I have more time to save money for the swap, currently researching the difference between the JDM 205 I was looking at and a V7 or maybe even V8 ej207. I may stick with the 205 for $$ purposes but a 207 has always been my dream, so who knows!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts