Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd start a build thread for my new baby. She's a 1997 Outback Sport 5 speed with only 144k on her and she is super stock! This has been a dream daily for me since I got my red 95 when I was 15, which also turned me into kind of a huge subaru nerd.
Day after I bought her:

Most current photo:

*Mod List* as of 9/29/18

*Engine*
STOCK PRE SWAP
Stock EJ22
Stromung cat back exhaust
CURRENT SETUP
EJ205 w/ iWire harness merge Build 908
-TOMEI turbo inlet
-Torque Solutions Post MAF silicon hose
-Mishmoto intercooler hoses
-Crawford AOS V2
-Group N motor mounts
-Moroso Oil Pick up
-STi Oil Pan
-Stainless steel oil feed
-Mishmoto Radiator
-iWire GD->GC Radiator Shroud
-CNT catted downpipe
-STi cat back

*Transmission/Drivetrain*
(BLEW CENTER DIFF) 03 WRX drivetrain*

-06 WRX drivetrain

-Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch
-Group N transmisson mount
-TurnIn Concepts shifter linkage update
-KARTBOY short shifter
-KARTBOY shifter bushings front & rear
-KARTBOY transmission crossmember bushing
-KARTBOY Otter ring bushings
-Turn In Concepts street rear diff bushings

*Brake/Wheels/Tires*
-RS 16" 6 spokes
-Continental ExtremeContact DW 205/55 (great tires, poor alignment killed them prematurely)
-JDM 4 POT front brakes
-Centric Premium Blank rotors
-StopTech street performance pads
H6 rear disc brake swap
-Centric Premium Blank rotors
-StopTech street performance pads
Goodrich? Stainless steel lines

*Suspension*
-KYB GR-2
-H&R Sport Lowering Springs
-WRX 17mm RSB
-WRX FSB
-KARTBOY Rear subframe lock down bolts
-WRX wagon/JDM GC rear control arms
-TurnIn Concepts rear control arm bushings

*Interior/A/V*
-V7 steering wheel
-02-03 WRX Seats
-Extended Armrest
-Pioneer AVH-2700BS (Ithink?)
-Back up cam (Half installed atm)
-6.5" Kicker Speakers in front doors
-4" Pioneer Speakers in rear doors
-White LED dome light
-WRX pedals
-Turbosmart boost gauge
-KillerB shift knob (WBM18)

*Exterior*
????????? Plasti Dip (TBI)
-20%tint all around
99-01 clear headlights painted black and retrofited
-Mirimoto Mini H1 5.0 (closeout from TRS) with Mini Gatling Gun Shroud
-DDM 6000k HIDs
Amber corners
Hella Supertones (half wired in atm)
White DDM LED reverse and license plate lights
Rally Armour Mudflaps
S201 hood scoop FRP
OEM bugeye 3 piece lip
RS sideskirts
V6 grille
JDM wagon roof rails (TBI)
Halfass widebody

*TBI=To Be Installed aka I have the parts, they are just sitting in my closet or living room or garage waiting to be installed eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Now, I am the type of guy who loves to do things myself, especially DIY projects, so for this build I decided to do as many random DIYs I can find and think of myself. Right now I'm planning to reupholster the headliner and doorcards, custom fog light set-up, and a couple other random little things. Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed my 99-01 clear headlights

Also installed my LED cabin light and license plate bulbs!

And took her through her first snow storm

Mudflaps and tires hopefully coming this week! Also found a couple more projects I'm gonna try.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I suck at keeping these things up to date like I say I wil.. oh well, lol. I enjoy driving this car car everyday, which is what I've done since picking her up, and I realize why it was always a dream DD for me. Right now she has bugeye wrx seats up front, which are a billion times better than stock, wrx wheels, and rally armours up front, rears were too much of a task that day lol

I'll get pics once I'm near a real computer, or figure out how to upload from my tablet.

There's just one problem... it's slow and soooo boring to drive, not to mention to slipping clutch and the overall need of a tune up for the car. Now that would be cool, but honestly, that's boring.. I recently accepted a good paying job right of school which is relocated me to Charlotte, NC and immediately starting looking for a new car. But after a while I realized that I wasn't going to be about to justify spending the kind of money you clowns are asking for WRXs these days. So I got to thinking, I could pick up a wreck and swap my baby for waaay less, and it would be exactly how I wanted. So that's what I'm gonna do, Im moving in July and hopefully bring both of my baes. I have a good 4+ years of research I've done from all the times I got bored and started to dream, I won't ever feel 100% until it's done but I do feel confident that I can do it. Wiring will be done by someone more than likely, but everything else will be all me and maybe a couple buddies. I'm honestly super excited about this, so any insight, advise, ANYTHING... feel free to share! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Just a couple random pics i have on my shitty phone. I have a couple on my good camera if i ever find the cord to upload them lol.

Currently researching and looking for parts car for swap. Kinda torn between a sick JDM swap or just a regular wrx swap that i can beat the hell out of.. We'll see i guess!

Also gonna do DIY amber corners and a Home Depot front lip in the next week or 2!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, life has its way of making choices for you. I've been torn on doing the swap with me moving to NC in a few months, and with the lose of my only income, which wasn't much due to school and unpaid internship. So instead of swapping her, I'm going to fix her up a bit, make her a fun DD and just go from there.

My biggest issue was the fact that I didn't want to get into ANOTHER project car right now along with my love, my miata. One day down the road I may do something crazy, I'm not getting rid of the car when I move, so who knows.

Anyways... clutch kit, valve cover gaskets, rear struts, and front rotors were ordered! When I bought the car I got brand new front struts and brake pads so once verything shows up and is installed I think she will be a whole new beast. I gotta do some other maintenance like clutch pedal rubber, shift linkage joint, all the older 5 speed subaru stuff.

PS anyone selling lowering springs or a wrx rear sway bar, PM me!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So spring break is here, which can only mean one thing.. time to work on my babies!

Miata will be finishing up coolant reroute and A/C / Power steering delete. Nothing crazy, just to get her back up and running again.

Now teh wagon is getting the treatment: New Clutch, front brake pads and rotors, new struts all the way around, fixing the vavle cover leak, and a couple little things in between. Started the week off by painting my headlight bezels black, followed the DIY and it was super easy and look sick!

Wish me luck for this week yo go as painless as possible!

·
Registered
97 obs
9 Posts
Sweet! Thats exactly what mine looked like when I bought it. I always wanted one and man i was stoked when i got it. Im about to do my suspension as well.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Super happy with how they came out, I want to somehow amber the corners next.

I might hold on the strut install and try and find some lowering springs, just to make it feel less boaty.

Front pads and rotors went smoothly, thanks to my new impact wrench. People don't realize how good they have it with real tool setups, I'm just getting mine up there and it really shows the difference lol Clutch job starts Thursday!

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza OBS
133 Posts
That's twinning with mine haha same color and year! Oh and for the struts they want you to cut and bleed the brake lines what i did was cut a groove in mine so the brake lines didn't have to be cut but thats' just how i did it. Looking nice though!!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a set of RS 6 spokes locally for cheap, had white spray paint laying around from my miata, actually really pleased with how they look! On the hunt for some lowering springs, weather is getting warmer which means some junkyard runs for the rear disc conversion and I'd like to find a mid wing.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really digging these wheels!

This car puzzles me, it like the thing you dream of and once you get it, start questioning it. One day I want to keep her forever and build my dream wagon, the next day I want to sell her for a better down payment on my dream car, 07 spec B if youre wondering. I'm graduating college and moving to from PA to Charlotte, NC to start my new job, and finally having a "nice" car to drive everyday is something I feel like i have finally earned, and a spec B is litteraly perfect for what i want. But this wagon.. This wagon is what i have wanted since i was 16. It, too, could be perfect for what i would want. I just dont know.. I could go on forever... Somethings gonna happen that will decide for me..

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bring this thread back to life!!!

Alot has happened in the last 8 months. Moved to Charlotte, started my first "real" job, bought a miata with a hardtop for a daily until something stated to happen. I couldn't get this car out of my head. I missed it so much that as of last week I drove her down the whole 10 hour trip from Scranton to Charlotte and she didn't miss a beat! So now I have my baby back as my everyday car! Modding has already begun with some amber corner lights and a new pioneer double din, pics coming soon. Tint is coming in the next few weeks, would also like to get the audio working better than just 1 speaker :monkey:, I have some gr-2s to throw on but I'd like to find some springs first. Goal is to get the car looking and handling correctly and comfortablely.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Holy crap a picture! Haha

Got some 20% tint all around, which I'm loving so far. Lots of plans for 2016, stay tuned for inevitable rant about life.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a rant about life would be great, that means living in the past and that's just not what I can do anymore. Need to start looking forward at all the opportunity life has to offer. I think I'm getting ready to start my own path this year, take some chances and be my true self. It's been too long since that's been. So plans for 2016? I plan to show you, rather than try and tell you. Because all this time I've spent too much time and focus on telling, rather than showing.

Stay awesome! Stay positive!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Finally got a garage at the apartment complex I live out so big things to come! Installed new 6.5" Kickers in the front doors and 4" Pioneers in the rear doors. Sounds amazing to finally have a full working stereo haha. Have some parts waiting to go on and be installed and a list of things to pick up so things are getting interesting!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Working a ton has been pretty draining lately, but baewagon keeps a smile on my face and spoiling her makes me happy. Scored a set of H&R springs on sale off of Amazon, been wanting to do a retro fit for forever and pulled the trigger on some mirimoto projectors, buying HIDs once I decide on 5000k vs 6000k

My goal for this weekend is to finally get the rear rally armours on. Maybe actually hook up and wiring in my hella rather than just for show...

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Moved to the south hoping to escape the white stuff but the weather lately has just been odd. Keeping my eyes and options open for a swap donor, having very little luck so far, but it only takes one!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts