Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been a Subaru guy ever since I got my red 95 Impreza when I was 15 years old. Now that car was slow and boring and a real junker, but it never let me down and I loved it lol. (Can be seen here)

I bought myself a 1991 Mazda Miata as a project car for a fun summer cruiser, but to my stupidity, I sold the red car to my dad which left me with nothing to drive in the winter. Build Theard for anyone interested

With those factors, my Subaru itch getting the best of me, and a great deal found locally on craigslist lead to the purchase of this!

It needs a lot of love but for the low price of $800, who could pass it up!?
2.2 motor and trans? P.O. said they swapped the motor, trans, and rear but I'm not sure how true that is
Needs Body work on rear QP like almost every other GC
Interior Needs some love

It's gonna be a project but I can't wait honestly

Plans?
Full WRX swap, turn it into the my perfect daily beater.

Thanks for reading and once things really do start to happen I'll try to keep this as organized and up-to-date as possible!

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mod List

Engine
2.2l swap (done by P.O.)

Interior/AV
No front speakers lol
Random junk rear speakers located in the trunk lol
Some POS headunit

Exterior
Rust

Suspension/Drive-train
Orange Stock Wheels with non-matching tires

Space filler for now,

Parts to be installed:
Hella Supertones (once clockspring is fixed)
H4 6k HIDs (once headlight wiring is fixed)
New Balljoints

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Table of Content
Post #1- Intro
Post #2- Mod List
Post #4- In The Works
Post #13- Turkey Hill Snow Run

*I also post random pics throughout the thread*

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In the Works

Mods!
RSB
UEL Headers
Wheels and tires

Maintenance!
Valve Cover Gasket
Passenger front axle

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,737 Posts
Make sure to replace the IACV seal. That's something I've been meaning to clean as well.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure to replace the IACV seal. That's something I've been meaning to clean as well.
Yes, minooka said it will be in Monday so once I get time next week I will be cleaning that.

Pulled the codes today lol here's the list, I have matched them all up but not sure where to start to fix the stalling problem.

P0102
P0106
P0107
P0108
P0130 where I think I'm gonna start first
P0302
P0303 I haven't noticed a misfire myself but who knows
P0400

Any help is appreciated! I'm gonna make a post in the troubleshooting section after work.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Went to the junkyard today and pulled a MAF from another car and swapped them, car is running alot better! Usually the car would stall randomly but drove around town and didn't stall once! My idle is still high and I had the codes read at auto zone and only got the first 3^^ and a another (on notebook in car, will add later). I'm gonna start looking for a vacuum leak because my warm idle sits only around 1200 rpm.

Oh and heres an hipster Instagram since I washed the salt and crap off of her. Follow me! Whothef_uckisspudz! ! uploadfromtaptalk1391203723027.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's been running good for the most part. After getting gas she ran like **** and sounded like it was cammed? Still some bugs to work but she's getting there uploadfromtaptalk1391309550319.jpg

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's been running pretty well the past couple days. I'm really hoping it's fixed and that this motor/trans lasts till the spring, then if some other things work out, some big things will be coming for her. And if you can already tell I love taking pictures of her lol. If my class tonight gets canceled, I think I'm gonna break out the DSLR amd snap some snow pics! uploadfromtaptalk1391447071756.jpg

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,283 Posts
Looks like a few boo boos here and there. Can't beat 800 bucks though!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow Fun!!

So we got a good amount of snow today in NEPA so I decieded to break out the DSLR and the GoPro and go for a Turkey Hill run, Heres some photos I got and I am in the process of uploading the videoes!

She was amazing! Got stuck in my backyard due to it have >15 inches of accumulated snow but once I got her out, she beasted through the crap Scranton roads!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been fixing small things here and there. The cold is really killing progress lol. She's been running well, has a temper sometimes but once it passes runs 100%.

Weirdest problem I've been having is when I have the low beams on, only the driver side headlight works, but when I put on the high beams, only the passenger side one works? Tested multiple bulbs in both sides, makes me think it's both connections? Or a ground somewhere? No clue lol

Still need to fix the clock spring, install hellas, maybe HIDs once I fix the headlights, junkyard run for some interior stuff, front speakers. The list is piling up lol uploadfromtaptalk1392129350560.jpg

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Along with the better part of the. Northeast, we have been getting buried in snow the past couple weeks and there's more to come this weekend. I have been playing it safe but did have a little fun going to Walmart for last second Valentine's Day gift (yea I'm that guy haha)

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm through all this!

Anyways, still running about the same. She's been sucking gas but I think that's just the O2 sensor. Just bought a clear corner light from JdmGary, junkyard run this week! uploadfromtaptalk1392399014671.jpg

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Talking to myself "outload"... Well as the warmer weather starts the approach, I am faced with a decision. I have my miata which is my main project car, but I crave the turbo boxer rumble. So I am stuck, I could either sell this car and use that money to start saving towards a wrx, or I could get a wrecked wrx and do a full swap. I have been really weighting the pros and cons of both and have no clue what to do.

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
uploadfromtaptalk1394226348154.jpg

Gave her a bath to wash off all the winter crap, come on spring!

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after trying to sell the car, with no luck, trying to give the car to my sister, who decided she didn't want it:drunk:, which she will no regret, and me getting a new summer job, I have decided to turn this into my perfect daily beater. Right now I am saving up and looking for a full 02-05 WRX parts car to do a complete swap on (Motor, Trans, Seats, and eventually dash). I'll be doing the mechanical part of the swap myself, I figured it will be a great learning experience and from what I've read it won't be toooooooo hard. The wiring I am have sent off since I want nothing to do with that lol

Any advice, experience, or helpful information is always appreciated! I have already read BUNCH of different threads and do feel confident doing what I plan to.

Re-doing first post right now, stay tuned!:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
'97 OBS
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have plans for the bodywork. With 300k on the clock, I'm not gonna go too hard, but I'm gonna try and fix as much as I can

1 - 20 of 25 Posts