Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. Just wondering if the spt catback avalable through subaru as a oem option is worth it ($375). Does anyone have it, or know what it sounds like (volume levels etc)? thanks!

and are there any other catbacks on the market for the 02-03 RS (I've heard borla might have one, but didn't come up w/a site that sells them for the new rs.

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
You can get any catback for a new style RS if it was made for the old one. Either the manufacturer will have made the adjustment, or you can have a muffler shop do it for you. The only difference is one of the hangers got turned 180 degrees. The flanges are still the same.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
Try searching? There are plenty of Exhausts.. MRT has a Headerback, Stromung has a nice Catback, and Brullen also has a nice Headerback. Don't buy a Borla catback, its shit..

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
I have a old style Stromung on my car also, and never got the hanger rotated and its fine.. I just use the two rear ones with Kartboy hangers, and it works fine..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll probably go for the dual-tip Stromung catback. I like the flat black paint and it's almost stock looking.

they sell it for the new style rs now too, which is a plus. Does $599 sound like a reasonable price? I gota find some sound clips of it too haha...

anyway, thanks!

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
PJ2.5RS said:
I'll probably go for the dual-tip Stromung catback. I like the flat black paint and it's almost stock looking.

they sell it for the new style rs now too, which is a plus. Does $599 sound like a reasonable price? I gota find some sound clips of it too haha...

anyway, thanks!
$599 for the entire catback is not bad, but it's $150 too much just for axle back. And there are a couple clips of Stromung around. The best are of an RS with Borlas and a Stromung. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
To go back on-topic......

We have the SPT catback on our 98RS and it's very nice. Low grumble at idle-cruising yet opens up nicely at WOT. Looks are nice as well....much better than the stock parts.

Our setup is mated to a Borla header and stock cat (for the moment anyway). We have videos where you can hear the sound at www.sourcemotorsports.com

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BAN SUVS...I was thinking the same thing, + 200 for the mid-pipe, it's almost 1k for a damn catback!

Storm... MUCH thanks! I knew someone out there had to have one!! hehe. Think I'm definitely going to go that option. I'm guessing it's not a chambered muffler, but a flow-through design right?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
PJ2.5RS said:
BAN SUVS...I was thinking the same thing, + 200 for the mid-pipe, it's almost 1k for a damn catback!

Storm... MUCH thanks! I knew someone out there had to have one!! hehe. Think I'm definitely going to go that option. I'm guessing it's not a chambered muffler, but a flow-through design right?
It's a chambered muffler. Probably very similar to the stock part, just a more open tip. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey! I've seen that pic on the sccaforums site before... very cool.

got another 2 questions (my last I promise:) I've heard that imprezas don't have the best setup as far as rear wheel bearings go; since yours sees track duty etc, around how often do ya find that the bearings have to be repacked or bearing races replaced?

and around what size sway bar is good for autocross, 22-24mm?

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yep...that's me in Ed's car! (sn#011 btw) Check the site for vids where you can hear the exhaust and intake!
PJ2.5RS said:
hey! I've seen that pic on the sccaforums site before... very cool.

got another 2 questions (my last I promise:) I've heard that imprezas don't have the best setup as far as rear wheel bearings go; since yours sees track duty etc, around how often do ya find that the bearings have to be repacked or bearing races replaced?

and around what size sway bar is good for autocross, 22-24mm?

thanks again!
I won't comment on the bearings cuz it'll surely jinx us!:run:

A good rear swaybar for autocross would depend on your springs and shocks too. The higher the spring rates are, the less bar you'll need to do the same work.....within reason naturally. They have to balance each other. Your driving style plays a role too.

I hate understeer......and am quite familiar with oversteer. I like the rear to follow the front at a lower speed than some might be comfortable with. This sometimes catches up with me in highspeed highload corners, but for most of what we see in a season....I have our rear bar set to 24mm (along with a touch of toe out). For most folks, a 18-22mm bar would be fine with street oriented springs. Our rates are higher.....

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have aol dialup, and it literarly won't stay signed-on long enough to download quicktime to view the movies haha... I'll keep trying though!

I'm definitely a fan of big rear syar bars; I currently have a saturn w/ stock suspension except for a 17.5mm rear bar that even the scca race team found too rigid for the tracks :)

again, thanks!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Aw shit...AOL sucks man! Don't you know that by now? Don't listen to me...I don't know jack diddly.....

Anyway....Where you from? We might be able to arrange a ride!

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
PJ2.5RS said:
I have aol dialup, and it literarly won't stay signed-on long enough to download quicktime to view the movies haha... I'll keep trying though!

I'm definitely a fan of big rear syar bars; I currently have a saturn w/ stock suspension except for a 17.5mm rear bar that even the scca race team found too rigid for the tracks :)

again, thanks!
Try using IE6 instead of AOL's browser. That way AOL doesn't get to see every cookie you use, just some of them. And it seems to be more stable/ faster downloading.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Storm, I'm currently living on long island (nassau county). Funny part is I've never actually had the chance to drive/ride in a RS, just a modded wrx, and a stock wrx... just to get the drool meter pegged, the modded wrx had that 'twister' turbo back exhaust (think the brand was MRT or something like that), 18" prodrive's, and pZero 'rims protectors', full bodykit etc; and the damn salesman never let my friend or I take it around one interesting corner (can't really blame him I guess :)

mpaone, on the subaru site; when pricing a new RS, ya have the option of upgrading the exhaust to the spt one. It says it's just a muffler in the description, but looks like a 'axle-back' exhaust; not a full catback. I'm sure you could go to subaru, or one of the places they distribute to, and get it 'after the fact' as well, probably for a little more though...

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
That sucks...the closest we'll get to you is Rome NY for an event this summer. If we were to meet up in Rome, you'd be able to go for a spirited ride for sure.....
PJ2.5RS said:
Storm, I'm currently living on long island (nassau county). Funny part is I've never actually had the chance to drive/ride in a RS, just a modded wrx, and a stock wrx... just to get the drool meter pegged, the modded wrx had that 'twister' turbo back exhaust (think the brand was MRT or something like that), 18" prodrive's, and pZero 'rims protectors', full bodykit etc; and the damn salesman never let my friend or I take it around one interesting corner (can't really blame him I guess :)

mpaone, on the subaru site; when pricing a new RS, ya have the option of upgrading the exhaust to the spt one. It says it's just a muffler in the description, but looks like a 'axle-back' exhaust; not a full catback. I'm sure you could go to subaru, or one of the places they distribute to, and get it 'after the fact' as well, probably for a little more though...

·
Registered
131 Posts
PJ,

Careful with that SPT Exhaust. I tried to order it yesterday for my '04 RS and found out:

I have to pay for it in cash, can't be added to the purchase price.
The dealers won't install them.
They're not covered under warranty.

I was pissed! I may end up getting it or anther somewhere else later on.

Bill

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn, that puts that exhaust option out the door I guess...

I might as well just go to a shop & have them weild on a spintech muffler. my other choice is that holly warlock muffler; the one that has the second outlet that has a removable cover for more flow/noise...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts