Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I was tired of the body roll on my RS and I picked up a set of the SPT springs--which I haven't installed yet. My car's got 42k miles of gentle flat Florida highways.

I didn't think about this before, but do I need to replace the struts? Are they total crap now? Will I have that sought after chopped spring Civic ride?

Mucho thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would guess that the SPT spring rates will be a bit high for the stock struts. You might look to see if you can find a set of used Version 5 struts that someone is upgrading. Otherwise I think I would just go for a set of AGX struts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
so can the springs (eibach or spt) be installed with stock
struts or replaced them both at the same time.
if so, is a spring compressor needed.
thanks for any advice.
hopefully the next mod would be agx struts and
eibach pro kits springs.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You can put the STi springs on the stock struts if you need to. They just won't be damped as well as the AGX or STi V5 strut will provide. You don't need a spring compressor, but it might help re assembly to have one handy. It takes alot of effort to hold everything in place while starting the top nut.

You won't have anything close to the chopped spring Civic ride. The STi rates aren't anywhere close to that stiff.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
FWIW (at least here) autozone rents spring compressors for a deposit of ~$40 and then returns all the money when you return the compressor. not a bad deal ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. :)

If I replace the stock struts with KYB GR2 Struts would that be firm enough--damping wise? I don't need the adjustability of the AGX since a decent autox is 200+ miles away so its very difficult for me to get to one. Plus I don't have mucho $$$ since I'm also restoring my '86 Brat.:sunny:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Matt said:
Thanks for the help. :)

If I replace the stock struts with KYB GR2 Struts would that be firm enough--damping wise? I don't need the adjustability of the AGX since a decent autox is 200+ miles away so its very difficult for me to get to one. Plus I don't have mucho $$$ since I'm also restoring my '86 Brat.:sunny:
i have the GR2's on my car since i don't like to mess with stuff and create unwanted variables...i'd rather have one setting that works for well enough for everything, and just learn around that.

they're about 30% firmer than the stock RS struts, and are excellent for the price. KYB manufactured the v5 struts as i recall, so they must be doing something right. ;)

i'm running H&R springs on them, and i've had no problems with the springs placing too much strain on the struts, which the H&R's are notorious for...only tein's are stiffer. ride quality is very good, and the car turns in MUCH quicker, and sticks like a leech. i did have a small issue with some slight rubbing on the front passenger side, but only in EXTREME cornering circumstances, and it seems to have gone away. part of the problem is that the H&R's are designed with the european spec GC8 WRX in mind, which runs 50-series tires from the factory.

and the ride height and fender gap are oh so perfect. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Adam. :)

I'll probably buy a set from Dale Teague as soon as I can get the $$ together.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robmat said:
As a side note....

The SPT springs were designed with the RS and KYB/AGX struts in mind..

Robmat
Good point. :)

Hopefully I'll have AGXs by the end of the month. :biggest:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts