Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
I don't think I've shared the Subaru's garage space before either, so here's the tool box and tools I've amassed over the last 17 years. Back in 2003 I was in an automotive school program thinking I would become an auto technician. I finished the program top of my class but I never turned a wrench professionally as I had started in the TV/Movie industry while I was in that auto program. I'm still in the TV/Movie industry now so its funny how certain forks in the road really determine your future.

The automotive program at Citrus College in Glendora, CA used Matco tool boxes and carts, so naturally I wanted those same tools at home.

Top drawer has metric sockets, ratchets, milwaukee guns/drills, screwdrivers etc. Its a mish mash of Matco Silver Eagle, Matco, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, and even some Snap-on sprinkled in there.

Left drawer has soldering/wiring/heatshrink/zipties, right drawer has lubricants/sealants, scan tool, multimeter, measuring tools

Middle drawer has combo wrenches, pliers, etc

Bottom drawer has plastic clips, bolts, screws, nuts, more testing equipment

Bottom compartment has jackstands, lubricants and other sprays

Its crazy to see all my tools now, especially since a much younger version of me would die to have these tools, but current me is like "I dont want to use my spare time to work on my car this weekend". Its downright embarrassing to admit I still pay other people to work my car while having the tools I have, but in many cases I still dont have the right tool. Its not like I have a lift, welder, tire machine, alignment rack or a dyno in the small garage.

Anyway here's a random picture of the PIAA box of the headlights I got earlier in this thread (old but still good bulbs inside)

Speaking of headlights, I was removing the JDM front grill when I saw this guy in between the AC condenser and the radiator. I thought he was dead but he flinched when i banged the radiator support. I swear if I find chewed up wiring anywhere in the garage on the car I will be :curse:. I flung my flexible grabber tool at him and he scurried off towards the rear of the engine bay and I dont know if he escaped outside. Just to be safe i drove the car on the freeway briskly to make sure he wasnt there anymore.

I will take more pics as the detailing process continues over the next few days.

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
351 Posts
Car is looking shiny! I like the garage setup..it would be nice to be able to park my car indoors and have a place to work on it. Fortunately my parents live close by and have a large shop that I get to keep the Forester in :) I really hope that mouse got the eff out of dodge when you spooled up on the freeway. Nobody needs a chewed wiring harness in their life.

Question about the GC8 undertrays. Will the OEM RS tray not fit under an EJ205/207/257? My car is missing the stock one, and would like to get the correct replacement before they are unavailable.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Question about the GC8 undertrays. Will the OEM RS tray not fit under an EJ205/207/257? My car is missing the stock one, and would like to get the correct replacement before they are unavailable.
Typically the N/A and Turbo trays are different. I suggest just picking up an aluminum skid plate. Does the job of sealing the underbody while also providing far more protection.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Honestly I would look at a wrx undertray if you could get your hands on one. Paying what I paid is definitely one of those potential buyers remorse moments. I was looking at various metal undertray but those are kind of pricey too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good to know, thanks guys. I might just go the aluminum route when the time comes. I have a water jet and a press brake at my disposal, so that might be the best choice anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Good to know, thanks guys. I might just go the aluminum route when the time comes. I have a water jet and a press brake at my disposal, so that might be the best choice anyways.
Do this. I'm sculpting the rest of my skid plate from water jet drops and HDPE. It's definitely the way to go if you have the tooling. The main panel in this picture is actually a N/A skid plate. The turbo ones don't have the kick downs on the sides. Not exactly sure why, I thought it was because of the exhaust manifold but this one fit fine with my OEM turbo parts.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I would have done the same if I had access to tooling. How do you like those chassis bars? I hear they make a huge difference or do nothing at all.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I haven't driven the car yet.

That said, they definitely increased rigidity. Those are the 'Ultra Racing' ones from eBay/Amazon (cheaper on Amazon). My garage floor is not level, my 04 STi was impossible to get to sit on 4 jackstands without using some very creative shimming. The RS never had that issue...until I installed the chassis bracing. I'm confident in saying they make the chassis as stiff, if not more stiff that a GD STi. Also, they bolted up super easy.

From a physics standpoint, you can't go wrong. By installing these you are tying the front suspension directly to the rear.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's decided then. I'll make up a cardboard template when the time comes and cut myself out some skidplates. Aluminum is getting damn expensive though!

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
It is. I'm using aluminum for the engine and trans. Going to do the rest of the underbody with HDPE. You can get a 4x8' sheet at Menards for pretty cheap. My buddy used HDPE for his engine skid/underpanel on his 06 Outback XTi. It melted some by the exhaust manifold so he just riveted in some thin metal and it's been good to go for the past two years.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
This car has been in the friends and family circle since 2001 and the 2nd owner of the car (I'm the 4th) found these circa 2002 pics for me. First time I've seen them!

I was under the impression that the car always had some certain mods to it, but based on these pics, it was pretty darn stock!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
Bought some bolts and went to town. Also switched around my oil pressure sender and boost control solenoid.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Subaru Summer Solstice 2018!

Met up with 181stLeader right before roll in

Just after questionable roll-in procedures..

Sometime in the middle of the day.

Results!

Nice weather and overall a great time! I even won a raffle for some clothing wear line from www.subiestyle.com who also happens to own an STM coupe.

Congrats to Dave for taking home some hardware too! There were about 10 GC chassis that we found overall.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
At the Japanese Car Meet at the Petersen Automotive Museum on July 22. I was placed on the 2nd floor because I registered late. No one told me I could move the car to the upper floors until I was almost ready to leave.

Current engine bay shot

Yellow dots are bolts/nuts from Overland Metric, Red dots are screws/nuts/bolts from Bel-Metric. I think I counted over 110 changes. :eek:rly:

I always thought people with polished AC lines actually had them custom made. I just tried some metal polish and a microfiber by hand and the results were rather impressive. I can definitely do more, but these pics are just to show what they came out just by some elbow grease.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Car is looking super clean man! I hope the shots in the parking garage aren't the second floor of the museum..looks pretty lonely there.

So, did you replace all the fasteners in the engine bay with new nuts and bolts?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Thanks man! Yeah that was the 2nd floor. Pretty lonely indeed. I wanted to replace as many bolts as I could with fresh yellow chromate. Many aftermarket metric bolts have head markings and 13mm and 15mm wrench sizes which I didn't want either. A number of bolts and nuts were non OEM with 13mm size too which always bugged me, so it wasnt just an aesthetic thing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dang, that's a bummer nobody let you know.

I feel ya on the 13mm bolts. Especially when everything else is pretty much 10 and 12.

Did you look into getting the original bolts plates, opposed to buying all new?

It looks great. Amazing what some new hardware can do to an engine bay.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Plating would have been roughly the same price or more, so I just opted for new bolts for now haha

121 - 140 of 164 Posts