Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Some older shots to add to the build process.

Pre-Coilover-Install shots taken 12/21/12 - Sitting on Subaru P1 Springs/Struts

You can tell from the side profile shots that the rear sits lower than the front (saggy butt), but is worsened by my tools/subwoofer box I have in the trunk.

You can also see the almost positive camber on the front wheels.

I forgot I had this pic lying around after I got the car corner weighted. There's probably about 50-60 lbs of stereo equipment and tools in the trunk that could get taken out for more weight reduction, but I don't really track/autocross/etc this car, so they stay in the car.

3/28/13
Trunk light added

3/29/13
Cabin air filter added

Parts

Before:

During: - used my butane soldering iron and its flame attachment to heat my utility knife. Still took a bit of effort to cut through the thicker sections

Not as much debris as I was expecting, but considering the car hasnt been parked under a leafy tree over the last 2.5 years - this stuff must be old.

There was a bit of animal hair, so that probably caused the odors when using the A/C. I used compressed air to blow out the area, and sprayed some lysol in there before putting the filter in.

Done:

That rubber seal gave me a hard time but it finally went in.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks Gary! I'll have some updates on that dash pocket in a bit.

swapped in some new floormats. not exactly the same fit, but I dont mind.

and the cabin filter sticker

I havent posted a recent engine pic because I havent had a chance to do a decent cleaning of it, but oh well here's a shot as-is.

And some side profile shots in case you're wondering what the car looks like without the front wheels turned. The wheel gap does lessen with me in the car. I had Odi set the car up with more rake on purpose.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
thanks for the comments, sorry for the late reply.

i love the FEAL coilovers. now that i've put more miles on them, i dont feel/hear as much binding/clunks as i did when they were first installed.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,871 Posts
I want to do the cabin air filter now, I'm sure it's nasty in there after 200k

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I did some car shopping. its been a while in the making, but well worth the wait. the stars aligned and i had to jump on the deals while they were presenting themselves. sold the g35 and the 330i posted earlier in this thread, got 2013 BMW X5 xDrive50i, 2013 Chevrolet Volt.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Been enjoying reading up on your build. There's a lot of silver coupes on this board, but there's a few that have caught my eye just because how tasteful they've been and the little elements that I'd like to have on mine. Silly things like a V6 grille and the STi seats.

Either way, it's looking good. You've set the bar high for my rescued car to achieve!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Been enjoying reading up on your build. There's a lot of silver coupes on this board, but there's a few that have caught my eye just because how tasteful they've been and the little elements that I'd like to have on mine. Silly things like a V6 grille and the STi seats.

Either way, it's looking good. You've set the bar high for my rescued car to achieve!
thanks man. i feel bad that i havent really done that much to it lately, except to make it more daily driver friendly. i put on the stock wrx muffler and the stock bov, and its nice to not feel like i'm waking up my neighbors when i get home from work at 3-5am in the morning.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
hmmm i picked up a few items recently and the car drives sooo much better.

Oil change with Shell Rotella T6 and Mazda Rx-8 Oil filter
Greddy drainplug
Kartboy subframe bolts
Kartboy exhaust hangers (rear two only)
Whiteline Roll Center adjustment kit
Whiteline Streering rack bushings (30mm)
Rear Diff fluid with Motul 75w90
Trans fluid with Syncromesh/Hypoy-C/Redline Shockproof
Power steering fluid
OEM Power steering reservoir bracket (finally no more ziptie)
Driver-side steering bellows boot was torn so I got that replaced
Alignment/Tire Rotation
TurboXS axleback (LOUD!)

more pics to come...

I had Steve do the install on the Whiteline parts and do some other stuff while the car was on the lift. Even if I had a garage to work on my car with, I really dont have the spare time. So off to the shop it goes.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS
52 Posts
Man, that car is perfect. Exactly what I want to do. How many miles on the swap? Any issues?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Man, that car is perfect. Exactly what I want to do. How many miles on the swap? Any issues?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thank u, other than replacing the original swap harness, original td04, and typical maintenance, no major issues. Swap done in 2003 aprox 70k on swap. Luckily its not a daily.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
So after gather parts and tools for the last couple months, I finally started to tackle my brake install. More pics later, but here are some end product shots with my phone.

The rear calipers have the same mileage as the chassis, which is somewhere in the 160k range. A $30 dollar rebuild kit and some pizza at my local BMW shop for using their parts washer and compressed air to get the caliper pistons out wasn't too bad. The old dust seals had holes and rips in them, but the inside piston seal didnt look too bad.

H6 caliper bracket/ H6 slotted rotors / Stoptech street/perf pads/rebuilt calipers w/OEM subaru rebuild kit

Bought these used off of NASIOC, good deal considering a new Stoptech kit tops $2000.
Stoptech ST40 02-05 WRX BBK / Stoptech street/perf pads

Stoptech recommends at least 2-3mm of clearance from spoke to caliper. :(

I was happy there was no contact, but i can probably only fit a couple sheets of paper between the spoke and the caliper (where the blue arrow points), so 3mm spacers on the way.

I weighed all the parts and such but will post later at home. I was going to hold off on the STi MC/Booster install, but now that I have to wait for the spacers to arrive, I might as well start that project as well.

Getting to this stage has taken about 6-7 hours of actual work time. My GF's cousin referred the rebuilding of the calipers and heat shield removal as "arts and crafts" type of work. I don't like to rush when working on my cars, especially when it comes to brakes and making parts fit which werent supposed to be there in the first place. removing the dust/heatshields in the rear took a long time, even with my $20 spot weld drill bit. it was pretty difficult to center the bit on the spot welds. The front shields took some brute force as well.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Wheel spacers came in. still plenty of hub-centric lip to stick into the wheels. more than the 5-7 full turns of the lugs after being tightened down as well.

Complete side shot. Looks so much better with more rotor in there. The H6 rears look almost as big as the stock fronts did.

Master cylinder/Booster/MC brace shot

I'm not sure if I got all the air out of the system - but maybe its in my head. I hadnt driven the car with the stock brakes for a couple weeks before the install, so I have no reference point for proper brake feel at this point. I did drive my coworker's stock 04 forester XT and my pedal felt much stiffer than his car's.

21 - 40 of 154 Posts