Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speakers can't take my new Alpine CDA-7894

Just want some feedback on speakers from fellow 2.5RS owners.

I'm looking to spend about 200-250 ( ebays are cheaper )

I'm gonna keep stock sub ( yes it is horrible ) and alpine has internal amp.

So I'm looking forward to find something to match my deck and horrible sub.

I'm not a base fanatic but I do care about clarity.

My friends recommend :

Infinity
Focal
Boston Acoustics
Pioneer
Mb Quart

I'm leaning towards MB Quart PDA 213
Found one for $198 on ebay

Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, go to a shop and bring your favorite CD which you know how the song should sound like, and listen to all of them. Then, think how they will sound in conjunction with your sub, and go from there.

For example, for my Typhoon I listened to some Alpines, Infinity's, and Bostons. The Infinity's sucked, the Alpines had great bass, but the Bostons had no bass but were very clear. I ended up getting the Bostons since I did not want the speakers to distort because of heavy bass (like the Alpines) since I had a sub which would take care of the low end. So, in a nutshell, the Bostons handle the mids and highs, have virtually no bass, and then my sub handles all the low stuff. All in all it sounds very good to my ear.

And that's what you should do - what sounds good to YOU is the most important. My buddy hates the way my stereo sounds, but then I hate the way his sounds. It's all personal preference!

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speaker size

I've been searching the forum and i'm confused about speaker sizes. What sizes are they for 19992.5 rs? Someone saids 6.5 all around and some ppl say 6.5 on front and 5 1/2 on rear.

Will MB Quart PDA 213 fit without any problems?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
99 I don't know.

2000 and 2001 use 6.5 all around though, so I would assume it's the same. You can just stick your head under the rear deck via the trunk though and eyeball them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1999 is 6.5 all the way around. I've got Polk Audio Components in the front, and infinities in the rear. Sounds great, and you get a little better sound up front with the components. You can finally put a tweeter in the little tweeter spot in the door!

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
I have the infinity reference 605cs in the fronts. One of the lower-end models actually, but I think they sound great. Decent bass and good clarity... perhaps a bit too sharp though. No complaints here.. but I'm not a huge audiofile, either. Still need a new HU or amp to really test them, though..

·
Registered
18 Posts
component speakers all the way. i have rockford fosgate. you need an amp though. they sound great.
the only problem is that you need to find a flat ,(shallow speaker) or you have to build a kind of ring to mount them on.
ALso you have to cut a little of the molding on the back of the door away to make sure it is clear for the speaker to move.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Best Buy sells 1/4" spacer rings which I used to mount my Boston Pro Series 6.4's in the front doors. In case you didn't know, the Boston PS' speakers are massively deep and otherwise don't even come close to clearing the window when it's rolled down, but the spacers work perfect. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
psaeko said:
I'm leaning towards MB Quart PDA 213
Found one for $198 on ebay

Any opinions?
I've had two sets of MB Quart speakers and they are really tough and sound killer. My only complaint is that they were power thirsty little bastards. It was a few years back so they may have made them more efficient since then but I’d take that into consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts