Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt subaru related but my budy has a turbo 1.8 jetta that the dealership is claiming the spark plug was blown out of the cylinder.I've seen a few threads on here about it but it just seems odd and the dealership is telling him it's becuse they were never changed. ( it has 60 k on it) which sounds even more like a load of crap.

·
Registered
2005 impreza sw regal blue
36 Posts
was it just running rough and did he see it was missing before they told him about it? If the plug actually came out, the threads in the block may have been stripped from prior plug changes or maybe the wrong plug was installed. i did that to a dirtbike, put the wrong plug in (it threaded just lose) and it held for awhile but eventually blew it out and hit me in the leg lol. bottom line, old plugs dont blow out, they quit working.

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nahh he said he was driving down the road and it just made a loud bang and started running real rough and he couldnt go over 5mph. to me it sounds like it may be a side effect of something else.

·
Registered
99 impreza rs 2.5 black
870 Posts
The same thing happened to my 96 Ranger. It only blew the insides out, the ceramic part, and the wire was blown up. Removed the bottom half of plug and replaced wire and truck ran fine till the engine seperated from tranny.

·
Registered
2005 impreza sw regal blue
36 Posts
nahh he said he was driving down the road and it just made a loud bang and started running real rough and he couldnt go over 5mph. to me it sounds like it may be a side effect of something else.
sounds like it blew out ....mmmm

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
I had this happen once (Achieva), and it was because when the plugs were changed, one was left too loose. Heat built up around the threads (AL head), and eventually it blew out out the hole. It would still run about 35 or 40, though the 3-banger sounded awful...

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it just sucks for him cause his extended warranty doesn't look like they will cover it, and a new aluminum head with install is pricey. The worst part is he doesn't even like the car and still owes money on it.

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
I got somebody to helicoil mine. He just really greased up the tap (to catch the shavings), and tapped the head on the engine. I had it for another 15K or so after before selling with no issues. So, that's at least possible. Visibility on our engines is way different than a GM Quad 4 (plugs are right on top), but it still might beat the $1000 or $1500 for anything removing the head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts