Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although, I love my car, the sound system needs major upgrade!

Does anyone have an opinion on what speakers or cd player would work best in the 2002 RS?

I could go with the standard pioneer player, with 6x9's and such, but I'm not sure. I've got the 6 speakers, but 2 are tweaters and the others, i havent even looked at.

In my 66 beetle, I've got 2 pioneer 6x9's, 2 5 1/4's and I believe its a 12" sub in a box. The amp I'm not sure about, but it pushes very hard! I would like the same quality in the RS, but don't want to use the sub.

What are the things to look for or worry about in upgrading the sound system?

respect,
Tim

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I believe that we have 6.5"s all around. You could look for some nice ones to replace all four of them, or keep 6.5"s in the front, and put 6x9's in the back if you want more bass without using a sub. Or, you could go to www.subiesound.com and get one of thier sub enclosures that goes in the side by the back seat (if you have a coupe), so you'll have bass without a box taking up trunk space.

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Stereos add weight. Rip everything out!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love the sound of a good sub, but hate the weight and the way the car moves with all that junk in. I used to have 2 12s in the trunk. Car sounded great, handled pretty good. A couple weekends ago, however, after a part install, I took out the subs for the weekend, and it felt like a different car. After the weekend was over, however, I was disgusted at the sound without the subs. I didn't, however, want to add all the weight in to make the thing handle like a pig again. I brainstormed for other options. 2 8s. No, don't sound good at all. 1 10". No, doesn't have the deep bass that I enjoy. Therefore, I compromised, and stuck with one removable 12". That way, I can still enjoy music when driving on the road, and take it out for race days. You just have to weigh how much performance you're willing to sacrifice for daily driving. Hope this little story helps.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Check out some speakers from Polk Audio. I went with a set of coaxials when I upgraded the door & rear deck speakers in my Legacy. If you have a good enough head unit pushing them, you can get decent sound without amplification. I found the Polks to have very good bass response and handle the highs.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally like the Boston speakers (and the Pro Series fit) and the Subee-Sound sub is a pretty decent box that bolts into the trunk.

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Also check out JL Audio 6.5in coaxials and components. Lots of bang for the buck and they're not too bright like most car audio gear. JL has some great products.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts