Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. This will be my first post so thanks for any help you peeps can offer.

I picked up a 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5l from a used car dealership about a month ago. It was running a bit rough but had a rust free body so I made them an offer and they accepted. Basically I just dove right in to the Subaru world accepting that I would be learning a few things in the near future as I dealt with repairs....

Anyway ... the engine was vibrating at just around 1500 rpm. Rev it higher and it smooths out. It does vibrate a little bit in park and neutral.

After trying a few of the usual things(spark plugs, motor mounts) I noticed that the accessory pully on the crankshaft was wobbling a bit so I took it off and found a mess....
Wheel Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system
Auto part Wheel Tire Rim Automotive wheel system
Auto part Gear Automotive wheel system Wheel Bicycle part
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Rotor

So how screwed am I? Only about 3/4 of the key came out. The rest is still in there and I can’t get the timing pully/sprocket thingy off.
It looks like the pully/sprocket is off by about 5 degrees or so. Would this be the cause of it vibrating at 1,500rpm? Could I just stick my welder in there and fill up the key area and call it good?

Should I just buy a jdm wrx engine?😜

Thanks again for any helpful advice.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
You're going to have to pull the sprocket to see if the crank's keyway is totally boned. If keyway isn't too boned, you can just put a new key in, get a new crank sprocket and pully and be on your way.

If it's boned, you can replace the crank (probably not cost effective) or get a new oem woodruff key and have it welded in permanently. Or swap in a different motor if that's your goal anyways, now's your chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts