Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Interior still looks like a subaru

sorry if this is a repost; I looked but nothing looked similar.

I'd say that Subaru reused these designs used on the Saab for the new 2008 impreza if I had to guess; I see similiarities anyway. The backend is completely different though; not sure where they came up with that. but I can see the biggest similarity on the front end.

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
You do realize that Saab, who's owned by GM, got the styling and driveline from Subaru back when they had 20% stock in Subaru, right??

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I know this; but from my understanding saab designed that car based off the impreza. Basically saab took the impreza and styled it to their liking then named it a 9-2x. the 2008 Tribeca is also based off of a vehicle that was called 9-6x that was never released.

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
gray_scoob_punk said:
yes I know this; but from my understanding saab designed that car based off the impreza. Basically saab took the impreza and styled it to their liking then named it a 9-2x. the 2008 Tribeca is also based off of a vehicle that was called 9-6x that was never released.
So if Saab took the design cues (which, in reality, they just used the same body panels, and altered some slightly) from Subaru and, by your theory, Subaru took design cues from Saab...wouldn't Subaru really be taking design cues from themselves???

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
>>> the 2008 Tribeca is also based off of a vehicle that was called 9-6x that was never released. <<<

Can you back up this claim... you got images of this project that was killed? I just got our dealer presentation of the 2008 Tribeca. It seems the official line was to make it closer to the design of the Highlander (and they got very close if you look).

They dropped the B9 because Mazda stole the '9' for the CX-9 and Subaru didn't want any confusion... If you look closely, Mazda pretty much stole the whole profile/roofline/side window architecture! :loser:

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NW OBS said:
>>> the 2008 Tribeca is also based off of a vehicle that was called 9-6x that was never released. <<<

Can you back up this claim... you got images of this project that was killed? I just got our dealer presentation of the 2008 Tribeca. It seems the official line was to make it closer to the design of the Highlander (and they got very close if you look).

They dropped the B9 because Mazda stole the '9' for the CX-9 and Subaru didn't want any confusion... If you look closely, Mazda pretty much stole the whole profile/roofline/side window architecture! :loser:

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Well, considering that when the preliminary designs where made for the new Impreza,, GM still owned parts of both, and they probably where working together. And I think that's a good thing, because these new designs are much cleaner looking to me than the previous. Hell, even the Saab versions of the Impreza wagon had a smooth, clean look to it that many people preferred over the Subaru front end. But especially the Tribeca though; the original looked like ass, and the new one looks much smoother and cleaner. Of course, this is all personal opinion based on my preferences for the looks.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
The Saab version looks like the OLD Tribeca (no wonder, right?), down to the three piece grill. Yes, Saab had access to the old design and penned their own version, that they decided not use...

Whatever. The new Tribeca is safer, will probably sell more units... but I find it a bore compared to the bold (love it, or hate it) version one. :confused:

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
agreed; I hated the front end on the 06-07 impreza and on the 07 tribeca. The new Tribeca looks good but I can't say much for the new impreza, especially the RS it looks soo damn plain.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
The Saab 9-7X is a production model, it's a rebadged GMC Yukon I believe.

It came after the 9-6X was ditched, yes.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107494

I wouldn't be surprised is Subaru took a design idea from the 9-2X's front end; I always liked it very much.

But, people are always yammering on and on about how the '08 "looks like" damned near any car on the planet, so I really don't care.

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
I don't think that Saab really had anything to do with how the 08 Impreza is styled.
As for the Tribeca, I'm going to assume it was basically the same deal. They were jointly designed, but when GM sold their stock, the rights to the design were retained by Subaru, thus, we get a new Tribeca, and the 9-7x looks like a Chevy Trailblazer..
In fact, a quick jaunt to GM's site will show you that the current Saab 9-7X UTE, is based on the Trailblazer chassis shared with the GMC Envoy, and Buick Rainier.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
who cares the new impreza is ugly. i wish they'd just bring back the gc and improve on that chassis..or..make a car that isnt ugly

the only new subaru id buy is a legacy..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts