Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm about 90 percent of the way through an auto to manual swap in my 95 impreza LX coupe. I am using a JDM TY754VBAAA and trans crossmember out of a v5/6 STI, a 4.44 LSD from an 04 FXT, and a driveshaft out of an 03 WRX. As I understand it, on the impreza there is only the 5 and 6 speed driveshaft lengths. The driveshaft goes into the transmission fine and looks like it might be the right length (it will engage the splines in the transmission and the flange on the driveshaft simultaneously, but when I line the carrier in the middle up with its respective bolt holes, the driveshaft is about an inch too short to reach the flange on the rear diff. I have searched through every thread Google would bring up on the topic and have come up dry. Is the rear subframe clocked differently in the older cars? Is the forester diff shorter than an impreza diff? is the driveshaft in the 95 impreza longer than later WRX's? Please help, i'm about out of ideas!
Thanks, Bren

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
2001 RS 5 Speed Shaft - Length: 60.375"
2003 WRX 5 Speed Shaft - Length: 60.125
2003 WRX Automatic Shaft - Length: 57.75"

Sounds like you have an auto shaft which are shorter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved! The driveshaft I have is one with a CV joint instead of a u-joint, and it had merely gotten compressed about an inch. Bolted the carrier up and tried pulling the driveshaft a little, sure enough it telescoped out easily enough to reach the differential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts