Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 RSTI Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, if this isn't bad luck then I don't know what is... 🤦‍♂️

So I put new tranny and diff fluid in the RSTI for the first time since finishing the swap, got it off the stands, checked the fluid level one last time, everything looked perfect. Then the dipstick broke WHILE PUTTING IT BACK IN THE TUBE. Broke off right at the rivet on the handle and is now stuck about 4-5 inches down.

I've researched and tried everything I can think of to pull it out. Forceps, coat hangers, BBQ skewers, magnets, and even stronger magnets. Either can't reach it or can't get a good grip on it. Now I'm waiting for some better tools to arrive and hoping those will work. The only other options I can think of are to cut the top section off of the tube, or push it in all the way and try to fish it out of the drain hole.

Has this happened to you guys before? I'm totally stumped and super bummed. Keeping it off the road until I get it figured out. The transmission is a 5MT from a V3 STI so who knows what it's already been through, the last thing I want to do is drive with a piece of steel floating around in there.

I'm open to any ideas and brainstorming!

TL;DR
Transmission dipstick broke in tube, can't get it out, please help!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
370 Posts
I've never heard of that before, but are you able to unbolt the tube and pull it out of the pan a little?

Then you could pull the dipstick out through the bottom of the tube.

·
Registered
2001 RSTI Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of that before, but are you able to unbolt the tube and pull it out of the pan a little?

Then you could pull the dipstick out through the bottom of the tube.
The tube is welded to the transmission housing, I’m afraid that’s not an option...

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
370 Posts
What transmission is it? You might have to split the case to get the dipstick out. I had to do that on my 04 STI trans when I broke off the electrical plug and couldn't attach the new one.

·
Registered
2001 RSTI Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What transmission is it? You might have to split the case to get the dipstick out. I had to do that on my 04 STI trans when I broke off the electrical plug and couldn't attach the new one.
I don’t know the code off the top of my head, I’ll have to check after work.

I was wrong about it being welded though, cleaned it up and it looks like it might be press fit.

·
Registered
2001 RSTI Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmission code is TY754VBAAA, 5-speed from a version 5 and 6 STI, not version 3 like I mentioned earlier.

Someone decided to help without telling me while I was away at work, but they only managed to shove it further down. 😑

Doesn't look like its going to come out the same way it went in. I'll try to post more updates as they come.

·
Registered
2001 RSTI Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLVED

Okay, here's what happened. I ordered a cheap endoscope camera on Amazon thinking it would come in handy, totally worth the $40. First I took off the TMIC to give myself more room to work with. These are pictures from inside the dipstick tube looking down into the transmission. The broken end of the dipstick was caught under the lip of the tube and extended all the way down under the center diff.

I tried using the hook attachment on the endoscope to get it out from under the tube, but it was jammed in place pretty well. Time to jack up the car and try pulling it out of the drain hole.

Lo and behold, it was sitting right on top of the plug! All that was left to do was pull the sucker out and refill the tranny.

I'm really glad it didn't turn into a bigger issue than it was. I could have pulled the plug right away and saved myself some grief, but then I wouldn't have a handy new camera for future projects!
Hopefully someone will find this thread useful, I definitely had a hard time finding more info about this problem.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
208 Posts
Congrats on dodging a bullet. Those endoscopes really are worth the money. I recently used one to successfully replace / route the high pressure "send" fuel line, from the fuel pump to where it enters under the driver rear seat, on my 07 wagon without dropping the tank. The scope was indispensable and saved me a shit ton of work and grief. Glad it worked out for you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts