Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

SoCoNoHa's new daily!

15K views 145 replies 15 participants last post by  SoCoNoHa 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is now about my 1997 Legacy GT!

She's a beaut! 5 speed from the factory and no rust, so it's basically a dream come true.

1997 Legacy GT
No motor
3-way adjustable coilovers
Unknown 17x8's

My goals are to have a sporty yet reliable daily driver, but being the only 4-cylinder Subaru I intend to own, there's a high likelihood of different engine/turbo combinations in this cars future.

~Pre-Legacy~

Buggin' out!

2002 Impreza 2.5RS
Automatic

Picked this up for a steal. It belonged to my former roommate and has mostly sat around since he got a G37x. It's already got a nice exhaust setup beginning with unequal length headers. Also the rims are the very same rims from my old LGT.

Already swapped in the seats that were sold as GC seats but weren't, glad to find a good use for them. Also had to replace the stereo, and give it a serious cleansing.

Plans are to boost using STI internals I've got kicking around and auto to manual swap. And a HUGE WING! I would like to bring this to a body shop as there are some dings and scratches but hardly ANY rust! Might as well keep it nice, right?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Nice productive weekend!

186k oil/filter change - her first while in my possession.
New fuel filter, new air filter, couple new vacuum hoses.
Figured out the P0031 code...

Fuel smell led to a seeping fuel hose under the passenger side injector cover. Tightened the clamp and all is well. Got rid of the other cover to clean the bay up. I may paint them and put em back on at some point.

Early Saturday morning I took her up to a northerly section of VT to meet a very cool Vermonter and strip some parts off an 07 Impreza hatch. Shoulda checked the weather, too cold to take pics! The car did great considering it ran for over seven hours straight and no hiccups. I kept it running the two hours I was there to warm up frequently.

Will grab pics of the loot later.

Oh yea, [suspension upgrades] ARE THE TRUTH.

Edit: Turns out I don't have coilovers, but seems to be a quality setup that handles better than anything I've driven.
Swift springs on Tokico struts

#7 · (Edited)
Last weekend's haul:

Swanky new steering wheel, installed.

Clutch master and slave cylinders.

I had a set of pedals for a GC, supposedly they'll fit pretty close, but I said screw it and got the real deal.

Figured this would clean the engine bay up nicely.

Then I picked these up closer to home. Stock WRX muffler and a midpipe good for a 3" DP to stock muffler.

Boost, here I come!

#12 ·
No, that started in 2008 with the GR model. Mine is a hawkeye.

I was referring to the auto/manual swap. Besides what you have, transmission with matching differential, clutch, flywheel, shifter, you also need to figure out how you plan to wire it. You have some options listed here:

Subaru Auto to Manual Transmission Conversion Basic Overview | Subaru Wiring Harnesses and Adapters | iWire Subaru Wiring Services

I am not sure if option 2, having your year, leaves you stuck with a 2002-2003 5sp.

Top it all off, you gotta pull the dash and shit out for wiring, etc. Ugh I am getting old LOL

With all of that said, since I don't plan to keep my car forever, I decided not to do it. I would rather spend the time and money on my other 4 Subarus

#13 ·
Meh, I'm not afraid to cut and splice. I swapped an 01 LGT years ago and the wiring was easy peasy, didn't even have to pull the dash. However I might pull the dash this time to ensure a cleaner job.

Why would the trans year matter? Afaik all I need is the reverse lights and NPS, and I believe those are always just 2 pin connectors. I've got a 98 outback trans, so I hope I don't need 02-03! :drunk:

#15 · (Edited)
Last night I started to get the car ready for manual goodness and installed (replaced?) my remote starter.

Before/During/After

Good riddance!

I mean, works perfectly, anybody want?

Had to relocate the TCU for now as it mounts to the brake pedal assembly.

Then I decided to get the remote starter in there, so I removed the kick panel and...

Hmm. Let's see where those go...

A remote starter! Great, except I have no fob for it, so out it comes. It did make wiring easier by pre locating all the correct ones. It also revealed the purpose of this tap I've been curious about.

The presence of the tap and possibly the removal seem to have damaged the wire.:mad: there's corrosion and a broken strand or two. Sorry for the garbage pic. I wrapped it up tight with tape for now.

Hoping to gather the remaining items for my swap this weekend;
Driveshaft
Shifter/linkage/trim
Crossmember

#17 · (Edited)
First, the bad:

Going round a curve, I must've found some black ice under the snow, as the car simply stopped turning and plowed off to the left.
Impreza, meet guardrail.

He's not very nice.

:(

Yesterday was pretty good though. I went to check out a potential parts car for the RS, an 03 WRX with a blown motor and 'some goodies'. Turns out the body is straight and nearly rust free, the interior actually looks nice, and the 'goodies'... Well check it out!

Without digging in too deep;
APS topmount
PnP/upgraded bearings TD04
Forge wastegate
Forge BOV
Full racing exhaust, no cats, 4" DP...

Also included with sale:
STI pink injectors
DW200 fuel pump
STI front seats
Another modded turbo
Most of the stock stuff.

Welp. That's all for now, gotta figure out a new plan.

#19 ·
Well I think it's a little early to be thinking of the silver car as the 'old one' lol. I may try that swap, but it'll be tedious as the cars are several miles apart and I don't have a GREAT way to transport whole engines. I guess it'll fit in the trunk and bungee it down?

As for the 205, couldn't say. PO said he was getting on the highway and boost spiked to like 28 psi, lost power, and huge smokescreen. My guess is a couple ringlands, but it actually ran for about 15 seconds when I was trying to get it on a trailer. Wouldn't run after that tho. I'm hoping the heads are useable, then I can just drop a short block in there, like a (sigh) built 2.2...

#23 ·
Yeah the GF was pretty good for hauling

I'm driving my brothers '95 530i right now, pretty sweet ride. Found some control arms from a part out so I'll grab those this weekend, I'm really hoping new wheels and control arms will make it drivable. We shall see. I was planning on rebuilding my 99 EJ25D block with STI stuff for silver, but it may go in the black one instead.

I guess my GM is on the back burner again.:mad:

#26 · (Edited)
Some pics of the carnage.

On the bright side, everything went back together pretty easily and she drives straight and smooth! Just needs more bodywork now. I found a WRX being parted out somewhat locally, and got a good deal on the control arms and the shifter trim. Gonna go back for a few more things; drivers door, maybe windshield wiper motor, and definitely the crossmember.

Oh and some things showed up.?

Anyone thing that one big end is a little heavy? Should I ask my machinist if he can balance them further?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.