Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,322 Posts
In my baby?! Idk...
I'll let you drive my EZ30 coupe! Twin turbos coming soon...
Not a coupe, and not an ez30, but I saw this guy at West Coast Subaru Show like 8 years ago. I don't know how y'all fit all dem turbos in there. ;)

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
That was pretty much my original plan, battery relocated to trunk and ABS delete to make room for the turbos. Now I plan on low-mounting them. Should be much less piping, lower center of gravity, less heat in the engine bay, and less lag. I'm gonna run a couple TD04's, hopefully it's reasonably responsive.
Just gotta get a couple scavenge pumps and make some oil drain manifold thingies.
I love the skid factory, so informative.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,590 Posts
See I like them up higher, less to worry about and you can get some sick Morrette's and use 1 for the inlets :p

Many moons ago I had the perfect Eaton M90 short snout. I decided to sell it vs going compound hehe. I have also tossed around the idea of a compound turbo, however, realistically at that point I would be making big HP and I don't really want to just go straight, know what I mean? So this duel set up, with the H6 twin throttle bodies is just right.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Many moons ago I had the perfect Eaton M90 short snout. I decided to sell it vs going compound hehe. I have also tossed around the idea of a compound turbo, however, realistically at that point I would be making big HP and I don't really want to just go straight, know what I mean?
Gah, I was looking for one of those for the longest time! They're from the Jaguar, right? I have an M62 I keep wanting to do something with, but it's so small it's almost pointless...

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,322 Posts
I wanna say the Buick 3800 engines that were SC'd got an M90, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: SoCoNoHa

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,590 Posts
eBay! oh god IDR off hand, I may have a note somewhere hidden in this computer haha. Archived since that car was crashed / parted out / moved into another shell to rally on!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
So I've run into the small issue that all my oil filler necks are too large to fit into the valve cover. The bolts line up, though. If push comes to shove I'll chop the bottom off and try running a gasket, or a load of Ulta Black.

Otherwise, progress is good, I'm taking my time tidying things up and rerouting lines, cables, hoses, and such a hundred times. Hopefully firing it up tomorrow!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Attempted start up, she won't even try to catch.
Could be the two-year-old 93 octane fuel in the tank doesn't like a sub-8:1 compression ratio.
Could be a smoked coil pack or igniter.
Could be a rodent gnawed some wires somewhere convenient like under the dash.
I'm gonna start with fresh fuel.

For break in I'm running stock injectors and a factory ECU. I disco'd the cold side intercooler piping so the turbo will just blow through the intercooler to nowhere for now. Hopefully it'll clear out any debris that wound up in there.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Aaaaaaand it's running! I suspected poor grounding somewhere and found it. Pulled apart the engine harness connectors and found a dead pin, of course it had to be one of the ECU grounds... Now I have to check/clean the rest because it'll run mint one minute then stumble and shake the next.
The turbo and pipes were cheap for a reason; turbo spews oil smoke at high rpms and the v-bands for the wastegate are warped and leak.
I have to wire in the radiator fans, burp the coolant, and TRY to get some space between the main harness and the down pipe. Right now they're touching through multiple layers of heat wraps.

I mean at least she looks like eye candy

Love the FOD protection running the turbo to blow the IC clean lol
Thanks! Something about a rotated turbo is just....

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Lots of win lately.
Hundred mile break in DONE.
The turbo was just burning stuff off itself, it boosts pretty well, but I suspect it could be better given the condition of the compressor housing and wheel.
Cleaned up a bunch of connections, swapped in 1000cc injectors, started tuning. It runs well, but I think there's some more iffy connections under the dash possibly.
HEAT MANAGEMENT is high on my priority list, as is a larger intercooler. I'd also like to get an SITC so I can increase timing out of boost; I estimate the CR at 7.5:1 if I'm lucky.
Got some big gaps in the wastegate flanges, which I hope is causing slow/late spool.

Boosting about 15psi, she starts to spool up around 3500 and fully screams by 4500. 6.5k comes up way too fast, but I have a clock speed chip to solder into a spare ECU to get a higher redline. From here it's just tinkering and tuning for speed and driveability.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
FINALLY realized the ej18 throttle body doesn't completely seal against the ej20g manifold, leaving about a 1/8"x1/4" reveal, aka huge vacuum/boost leak. I patched it with a little plate I fashioned. it seems to still have a small vacuum leak in general, but the plate made a huge improvement.
Occasionally there's a massive disturbance that makes the car undrivable, seems to be MAF related as a slight jostle of the sensor housing will stall the motor. I've got a spare MAF to try but I need to either modify it for boost or find a 4" bit of pipe for the sensor and place it in front of the turbo. Or make a proper 3" housing and keep it in location. Hmmmm.... Driving vid later...

·
Registered
56 Posts
sick build! I was thinking of going rotated also but it seems like a ton of work.

Is there a reason youre going for blow through MAF instead of speed density?

101 - 120 of 129 Posts