Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
^Thanks!

After some research I've found ...nothing. The hill holders have a brake line that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the brake master cylinder, I have no such line.

Bue, can you elaborate what you mean by clutch delay?

I was thinking it was probably a luxury feature to lighten and smooth out the clutch feel.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Pretty much everything is in place!

I was having some issues getting hood clearance with the 06/07 WRX top mount, which is usually the solution for N/A-T setups. Turns out the Cruise control diaphragm was holding things up.

So I bent the crap outta the bracket and got the needed clearance, but then the clutch reservoir became an issue. Naturally, it lines up with one of the intercooler inlet elbows.

After digging through a box of clutch cylinders and finding none shorter than the GC/GD, I was about ready to order a front mount setup for a GC and try to modify it when I realized I could rotate the reservoir on the cylinder.

It's no longer supported by the cylinder but it still seems pretty solid, and isn't leaking yet. And with that, the intercooler fits!
Before:

After:

Doesn't look like much, but that's the difference between the hood closing and not.

I'm really close to filling the fluids and firing it! Still gotta install the BPV, gauges, and piggyback. And I have no muffler. GC exhaust is closer than GD exhaust, but not quite long enough for a BD. Oh well, I don't like straight pipes, but at least it's got a turbo!

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
154 Posts
God you make me look like a tortoise with how quickly you get things done. It's looking fantastic

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,119 Posts
Damn I am too late! I have a solution that works on the slanted ones, so it should yours too! No need to bleed either!!

Remove the cap:

Check fitment:

Tighten clamps on TMIC to TB. Done!

*I do not endorse this message. :lol:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Damn I am too late! I have a solution that works on the slanted ones, so it should yours too! No need to bleed either!!
Well damn, I'd say that's the trick alright, wish I had one of those slanted intercoolers... But I don't think it'll work with my intercooler, one of the inlets is directly above the clutch master.

God you make me look like a tortoise with how quickly you get things done. It's looking fantastic
Haha thanks dude! Don't worry about speed, that'll come. Yours is waaay better put together than mine. Quick and dirty is how I roll! :monkey:

As for progress, I was feeling pretty good about it, but I just filled her up with oil only to find my oil pan leaking where the dipstick support bracket is(was) welded on.

So that's a bummer. I'll have to see if I can disco the engine mounts and lift it enough to swap the pan. Really don't want to pull the motor back out.

In other news, I have 3 different TMIC shrouds and none of them fit a second gen Legacy. (bue car already cleared this one up.)

The one on the left is what was on the hood, so maybe I'll try to fashion one from it. I'm confident the scoop will direct enough air through the intercooler if I don't though.

VERY close to having my ideal legacy!
Essentials:
0) Swap oil pan :mad:
1) Install FIC6
2) Install oil pressure/afr/boost gauges
3) Install Walbro 255
4) Install catch can/pcv system
5) Bleed clutch

Non-essentials:
Tweak exhaust
Intercooler shroud
TD06-20G :naughty:

Gotta get inspected first though, and I'm hoping I can pull it off with the stock injectors and a disconnected waste gate flapper. And a spacer on the O2 of course.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
:lol:

The joke was running with no cap on. Not the tmic.

It was how I bought the wagon. I will be fixing it.
Ooooooooohhhhhhhh hahaha, r/woosh!

That reminds me of my coupe, found a tube sock zip-tied over the MAF for a filter when I bought it. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
VERY close to having my ideal legacy!
Essentials:
✓) Swap oil pan
1 ) Install FIC6
2 ) Install oil pressure/afr/boost gauges
3 ) Install Walbro 255
4 ) Install catch can/pcv system
✓) Bleed clutch
Well, I did manage to swap the oil pan without removing the engine. All I had to do was undo the engine mounts and dog bone mount. I also disconnected the AC lines so they weren't stressed. Then, with the car already jacked up some, I used a hoist to lift the engine about 4 or 5 inches off the crossmember. With a swivel socket on an extension I was able to get to all the pan bolts. Pain in the ass, though.

I also bled the clutch, after about 4 hours across 2 days. Never had this issue before, but standard bleeding procedures would not work, and I had to reverse feed fluid into the slave cylinder like 10 ml at a time.

Hopefully she'll fire today.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
^Me too! After removing the leaky pan I briefly wiped the block down and let it drip overnight, then cleaned it again. IDK, but it looked good. Right now I'm just hoping I got the dipstick tube seated.

Well, now I'm up, might as well get back to it.
:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got everything under the hood tidied up. The dual catch can setup looks great, but imgur now wants me to download the app and follow a bunch of crap and give them access to ALL my photos ...yea right. So no pics till I figure out another way to host. :curse:

Anyway, I've double and triple checked my wiring, and the car cranks but won't start. Tested the crank and cam sensors, both good. Does anyone know if there were different phase 1 crank timing sprockets?? I'm sure the installed one is P1 N/A, might be 95 ej18, or 97 ej22. Hell, could be a 98 ej25, would it make a difference?

Oh well, off to check my wiring again.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,119 Posts
Flickr pro for me.

"Nothing free lasts forever"

Never understood those words until I grew up. No really, sit there and think how much was actually free when you were a kid that is not now.

Love Life

Fuck you Lucy

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yea, the good ol' days are good for a reason haha.

With imgur, it's not even about the money for me. I downloaded the app, and I still couldn't upload until I gave them permission to access all my photos. Ahem, some of those are private and don't need to be on the internet :naughty: but I digress...

Wiring still seems to be correct. All the piggyback wires are connected to the correct chassis wires, but with my luck I botched one of my slices and it's not getting continuity. Other than that I've got to take the timing covers off to visually compare the timing sprockets with the ones from the car. She cranks like a champ and the exhaust smells of fuel, so I'm guessing it's a no speak issue. All the same components, ignitor, coil pack, wires...

:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Swapped the old ej18 coil pack and wires on, and she sputtered and tried to catch! Getting warmer. I pulled a bunch more fuel and bam, fired right up. Now I'm dealing with a leaking turbo coolant supply fitting. Probly because I used the wrong tap after drilling the hole. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,696 Posts
Yea, the good ol' days are good for a reason haha.

With imgur, it's not even about the money for me. I downloaded the app, and I still couldn't upload until I gave them permission to access all my photos. Ahem, some of those are private and don't need to be on the internet :naughty: but I digress...
Mobile problems. Use a PC and you're golden.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts