Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Hmm, since you put it like that I'm even more excited.

I need to aquire some slim radiator fans and finish the wiring, then I can fill it with fluids and enjoy it!

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
Not to mention the GC is likely to be lighter then the GD I don't doubt the H6 will be fun to drive. But as mentioned with 17 psi of boost that 22D really felt good.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

If I didn't need a hood...

The ECU and TCU both tucked right in behind the gauge cluster. The wiring just shoots through the hole for the hydraulic clutch. Easy peasy.

I managed to install the H6 wiring without modifying the H4 harness at all. :cool: The new harness just uses T-taps to steal power, ground, cluster signals, etc... I've got a handful of codes due to my old style fuel tank not having all the fancy sensors and a high input in the temp sensor circuit. I believe it's because I initially tried to use the H4 ecu to control the gauges. I should just have to disconnect the H4 ecu.

The EZ30 has been in for about a week now, and besides the gas mileage, I'm a little disappointed. I think it's worth noting, however, that my exhaust setup is horrid. I only had the primaries from the stock H6 exhaust, not including the cat that collects them. So I slapped them on, each with a 30" glass pack to try to quiet it down. It doesn't work very well. There's no power and way too much noise. I'm picking up a dual inlet muffler today for cheap so hopefully I can rig something up that's quieter and doesn't ruin the scavenging effect.

As far as the EJ22D, I've torn it down to the short block but haven't cracked the oil pump or oil pan. I did find some strange substance in the coolant and oil passages; clear gel. Literally like clear hair gel or something. And the oil was silver...
Here's the 2.2 oil plug:

And it looks like my cam journals took some abuse as well.:(

On a positive note, my brother gave me a trans cooler from one of his old trucks.

Not sure if it'll be for power steering or maybe post turbo coolant or..? IDK looks cool.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
New muffler is a success!

Pretty quiet but still got some roar, and collecting the two primaries is a must. There's torque all over the low end when there was none before.

The linear powerband of the EZ30 is very deceptive. It doesn't feel nearly as fast as the EJ22D-T, but according to the speedo it's really not much slower. And I still have leaks at the headers and I'm still pulling hot air in. And I still don't have a turbo...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I was debating between single or twin turbos, just because single could theoretically be much easier to install, but I want twins so damn bad!

I figure with a single turbo I can cut and weld the flanges and first few inches from the H6 exhaust onto a WRX turbo manifold. From there I'm hoping to be able to use standard WRX turbo stuff, most of which I already have, save a FMIC and a bigger turbo.:naughty:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
That would work better for placement, since the driver side has the brake booster and starter. I'd just put the big one in front of the stock location little guy. Hmm...

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
Well, My opinion Twins would be so awesome, but with newer Twin scroll turbo's I suspect single twin scroll would get you the best of everything.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Realistically that would be the best way I think, but I'm not trying to make that custom manifold, and I already have turbos and up pipes. Right now I'm thinking single stock location using as many existing parts as I can.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I aquired a set of OBX headers for my ez30 and WOW! They're connected to my WRX exhaust and it sounds incredible. Exotic in fact. Definitely a better solution than unevenly chopped primaries into a 2-into-1 muffler jammed against the body of the car.

Here's a quick vid. It's a little louder than it seems, but not too loud.
OBX Headers + WRX Exhaust - YouTube

Now I've changed my mind yet again and am reconsidering the Eaton M90 I've got kicking around...

:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
sounds good forced induction is good, the supercharger has some benefits and some cons just as turbo does.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
New seats! :banana: JDM yo!

They feel so much better than my old ones! Too bad they don't match my interior... Or shall I say my interior doesn't match my seats?

I've gotta swap the bottoms so I can sit in the adjustable-hight one.

Edit: Was told these were from a GC, but apparently these are from a GD sti. They sit way high and only three bolt holes line up. The fourth is the one that bolts to the side of the trans tunnel, and it just floats. This creates a problem when occupied, as the weight causes the seat to lean towards the passenger side HARD. Also it kind of twists the back of the seat that way too.

Played around with the rails, and there is NO way to swap the GC rails on to the GD sti seats, or even swap the GD rails between themselves to reverse the seats. I'll have to do some welding to fit these seats, BUT I'm not crazy about the blue...

Anyone wanna trade me some all black/black with white /black with gray seats before I chop these up to fit a GC? They're in great shape, super clean, they smell like a brand new car (PO works at a dealership and had then cleaned). The logos are a little faded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bumer none of the pictures work. I also started a 95L project, the only difference I have the 1.6 90hp engine on mine LOL
I did the 6-speed complete drive train swap but the lack of power at the moment it make 6th useless LOL

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Hmmmm the pics seem to be working fine for me, and I'm not hosting them. Here's a link to my Instagram anyway. imgur: the simple 404 page

Super jealous of your drivetrain... Planning any power mods?

Edit: Oh. 'at the moment'. So I should be asking WHAT are you planning for power mods?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I've been dealing with an OBLITERATED rear seal. There's so much oil leaking out... Well, see for yourself:
Badly blown rear oil seal - YouTube

So I get to pull that sucker outta there because I don't think I can afford to keep putting in half a quart PER DAY... Yea.

And the supercharger thing is proving very difficult. I'm not willing to cut my hood, so I cut the M90 instead, but it still doesn't clear. I think for the time being I'll rebuild my 22D and pull the H6. So here's my question:

EJ20G heads or EJ25D heads???

I've read that the 25D's are based off the 'big port' 20K heads, so they flow better, while the 20G's are capable of higher revs... And have better cams....

Anybody got some insight/advice?

I'm leaning towards the 20G heads for now.

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
I ran ej20g heads on my ej18 for a while, I was not happy with the results. The setup was ej18 block, ej20g heads (Dohc) and sti yellows with a vf39. It was super laggy and made less power than my ej18/ej22 heads (sohc) setup with the same turbo,management and injectors. Looking back I can't recall if I used the ej18 cam wheel and sensor. If you do go the ej20g route I'd suggest using the ej22 intake came wheel and sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 208 Posts