Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
The Gauge should fit in one of these slots. I don't have a/c anymore, so no need to change from hot to cold.

Also I thought about removing the Air vents and replacing them with a clock and Compass, set in plexiglass and put in those spots lol
You mean for my oil gauge? Ya, I briefly considered it but I DO have AC and I'll be keeping it. I like the idea of setting them into something in place of the vents. I was thinking along the same lines...

It'll be interesting to compare our results, we could do a dual reveal or something:blol:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
Dang double posts!

Well, anyway...

My heads are still at the machine shop (just didn't pick them up) and neither my headgaskets nor my turbo seal kits showed up, so I basically tore my car apart for no reason. I plan to have everything for the long weekend so it get done. I'd also like to do my front suspension and rear sway bar, but might not get there.

It never ends :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
As a matter of fact I just started pulling the motor out of the Impreza. I should have my 2.5D heads back from the shop today, and if my gaskets show up as well I can reassemble my 22D, toss her in, and start tuning! I am a little concerned about the block though. I'll have to throw it together and see what the compression looks like I guess. Hopefully the rings don't leak too bad. If they do, it's EZ30 time!

I'm thinking of getting 20K/R cams for the 25D heads, supposed to be a drop-in upgrade.

Nice, was considering turboing mine as well, but I'd also really like a balls to the wall N/A build with higher CR and revs, finish it off by porting the hell outta the exhaust... yea.

By the way your SVX looks sick with the blacked out tails, I may have to copy you...

That is a cool Infiniti! Haven't seen one of those before...

You can't make me!

I know it's a great engine, yet strangely it just doesn't interest me much. I mean, if I got one for free or something...
Yes the blacked out tails really make it look different copy away I don't mind.
I briefly thought about a N/A build, but I like turbos, besides getting n/a power on the EG33 is expensive, because no one mass produces parts mainly. I recall Shotgun Slade spent $40k to get 150? maybe HP more.
It looks like he got 246 AWHP and that $40k might have been total car build not just engine, but it still gives a indication of what it could cost.
Yeah I never knew about the 03-04 Infiniti M45 body style until I saw this one for sale, the new, 06+ have a totally different design, this one looks like a cross between the Marauder/Crown Vic and faintly the Skyline R34

Yea, I guess I could do the wrx swap, but it kinda feels like cheating to me. I wanted to put the EZ30 in before I even bought the car, I'm still determined to do it at some point.

As far as weight, iirc the EZ30D is about 70lbs heavier than the ej251, and only 0.75 inches longer front to back. I'll have to cut up the radiator support to use the h6 one, or fashion a coolant header to use the gc one. Stock EZ30 exhaust supposedly doesn't clear the engine crossmember, but I've got a pipe bender, a welder, and a couple old subaru exhausts. I'll make it happen.
My wiring is basically already done. :)

And don't worry about me, I can take it. I appreciate the input of all; questions, comments, concerns, heckles, suggestions, bring it on.

Have you looked for an SVX? You could get one with 4 wheel steering! Not sure what they go for over there, but they're cheap as dirt stateside. And I'd give up my Impreza before I part with my SVX. I'd give up a lot of things first.
I very well could be wrong but I don't think you need to even change the radiator, or if so just use the wrx one no need to modify the radiator support when you use the EZ30, on the other hand the EG33 yep lots of modification for that. the other benefit that I am aware of if you use the EZ30 in the GC8 you can keep the A/C because the rad position and the a/c condenser stay in the same place

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I very well could be wrong but I don't think you need to even change the radiator, or if so just use the wrx one no need to modify the radiator support when you use the EZ30, on the other hand the EG33 yep lots of modification for that. the other benefit that I am aware of if you use the EZ30 in the GC8 you can keep the A/C because the rad position and the a/c condenser stay in the same place
Well, the EZ30 actually has two coolant returns in the top tank of the radiator, and the engine has one outlet on each head! That's what the aforementioned 'coolant header' would do, simply combine the two outputs on the motor into one for the 4cyl rad. But the EZ30 rad is like twice as thick as the 4cyl.

Also I just tested it, the EZ30 rad drops right into a gc and fits perfectly!! The only issue is any stock fans will be far too thick to fit between the H6 and the rad.

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
Well, the EZ30 actually has two coolant returns in the top tank of the radiator, and the engine has one outlet on each head! That's what the aforementioned 'coolant header' would do, simply combine the two outputs on the motor into one for the 4cyl rad. But the EZ30 rad is like twice as thick as the 4cyl.

Also I just tested it, the EZ30 rad drops right into a gc and fits perfectly!! The only issue is any stock fans will be far too thick to fit between the H6 and the rad.
interesting to know, maybe some pusher fans on the outside?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Good news, everyone!

I've had my EJ22D back in for about a week now and until today it wouldn't rev past 4k. Turns out I needed more resistance across the cam/crank position sensor signals going into my AEM FIC 6. You know, to clean up all the signal noise...

With the 1.8 (and the 22D first time around) I used a 1.5k ohm resistor to clean up some noise in the signals. Worked like a charm. This time it wasn't enough, and adding another 1.5k resistor in series to both signals had now solved my problem.

I've read about the sensors being different for the early 90s engines, so maybe that's why the '95 1.8 stuff worked with less resistance and the '99 25d stuff needed more?

Whatever.

I've got a smooth rev range now and I'm pulling 1 degree of timing for each pound of boost. Hitting about 12psi for the moment, it feels great!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I'm back, bitches!

I destroyed my old phone and forgot my password. Then when I would request a password reset email, it would never show up in my inbox. With the help of Flat4awd and George.of.the.jungle I was finally able to get in touch with Joshua and he fixed the issue straight away.
Thank you guys!

I had a bit of a breakthrough with the FIC6 and am now boosting to 17 psi. It felt really fast for a few days but now I want more! So I'm looking into a larger turbo, maybe a 16g or 18g, not sure. But I'm about at the limit of my new used TurboXS MBC which I love.

Some guy on NASIOC had good results running an MBC and an EBC in parallel, but I've read much about people having trouble controlling boost much above wastegate pressure. So rather than push my TD04 to the edge of it's efficiency and have inconsistent boost, I'll just run a huge turbo! :naughty:

I also finally painted my wheels! :sunny:

Currently, my long term goals for the car are to get a set of ej22t takeout pistons from Crawford and drop em into a fresh ej22e block I've got kicking around. Balance the assembly so I can spin it to about 8k and I think I'll be happy. I'll stick it in between the 25D heads I'm currently running with a 222 gasket for a CR of around 7.8. Can you say 30psi?! Well, we'll see... I'll obviously need better engine management to spin it faster and handle that much boost, the FIC only goes to 25psi and can't change redline.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
:kissyfaceemoji:

wheels look good! and damnit. if my engine lasts a bit it seems i need to look into engine management.
Hell yea dude! I've been really really really happy with the AEM, but then again that's all I have experience with. But if you just need timing and fuel control it's great.

·
Registered
Bluebird
690 Posts
I've been busy with work so I didn't catch this post, damn that looks good with those wheels! Glad you got your account straightened out bro.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
This was Friday: :mad:
Bad sounds - YouTube

Either my oil pump failed or the oil pickup tube failed. Not sure yet, but I had a pan full of oil with ZERO oil pressure. Needless to say, engines need oil pressure.

This is now:

Spent way too much time trying to preserve the functionality my a.c. considering I just ground a hole through the compressor housing anyway!
I tried to keep my 1.8 compressor, and it bolts up if you grind away a little bit of the bracket. But it's too deep, and intersects with the intake manifold. I ground some here, I ground some there, I go back here and PSSSSSSSHHHHHHH. so no ac for me.

I had already grabbed a power steering pump and lines from the same h6 wagon that donated my brakes, so I swapped 'em in. Now I'm hoping my alternator will somehow bolt up to the brackets, otherwise I'll have to find the proper connector for the ez30 alt and splice it in....

The exhaust from the heads to right before the secondary cat fits. I chopped the cat out for ...something else so it's gonna be loud. I'll probly throw some glass packs on there and run true dual till I can have a shop make a sweet setup for me.

Now I just have to pull the 1.8 wiring back through the firewall, tuck it aside, shove the 3.0 wiring through and plug it all in! I've got like 8 wires to splice and a resistor pack to create but I'll hopefully get that done tomorrow after work... :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Haha maybe, but then I wouldn't have had all the fun of turbos! I plan on leaving the 4 cyl wiring and ecu in case I want to go back.

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
best solution figure out how to turbo the H6, even twins if you have 2 small turbos already

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
Seriously though after running turbo H4 (which probably had as much or more power then the N/A 3.0) you will be disappointed in the H6 in a short time

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,723 Posts
Seriously though after running turbo H4 (which probably had as much or more power then the N/A 3.0) you will be disappointed in the H6 in a short time

The EZ30 has pretty much the exact same power output as a stock ej205, with a much better torque curve. H6 in a GC is stupid fun.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
The EZ30 has pretty much the exact same power output as a stock ej205, with a much better torque curve. H6 in a GC is stupid fun.
I've got the old EZ30, about 220 hp at the crank. Rudimentary calculations put my 22D with 17psi at about 300 crank, so less top end. But I'm expecting FAR superior driveability. And yes I intend to do whatever I have to do to turbo the H6!

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,723 Posts
EJ205 is only 227/217, so about the same. I've driven both a 'Stage 2' EJ205 and a EZ30 coupe. The H6 coupe was definitely more fun.

141 - 160 of 208 Posts