• Total voters
101 - 120 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
It's time for a new engine again! :mixed:

Since installing the 22 block/25 head engine, my idle was atrocious, but the car drove fine. Then it stopped charging and would lose power as I drove. Turned out to be a bad ground I finally found 3 days ago. Both problems solved! Then it started overheating 2 days ago.
No heat from the vents and the top radiator hose feels like steel when it's running, waaay too much pressure. Sometimes some hoses are cool and others are hot... It's gotta be clogged, right? Knowing me I left a paper towel wadded up in a coolant port somewhere... ugh.
Anyway, after limping it home last night, if the headgaskets weren't blown before, they definitely are now. My car was smoking like no tomorrow, so much so the cops stopped me to see what's up. Luckily I was already almost home so they let me go. And the temp gauge never actually maxxed out, it would get close but then drop back down a little bit towards normal. I babied her home and she wasn't happy. The idle was rough and it wouldn't cool off. Bummer.

So today I'll try to find/remove the blockage and get the car driveable again, while we figure out where to go from here.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Who's the smartass that voted 'other' and didn't make a suggestion?

I'll just chock that one up to a '13B-REW' vote. :rolleyes:

I'll be pulling the engine tonight, probly tossing the 1.8 back in just so I have something to drive for the week.

Friday's the deadline people!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Hmmmmm... got a particular 2.5 in mind? Like a 251 bottom end with 25D heads? I could probly afford to do something like that.

I guess I wanted to do something ...less conventional than matching heads and block. Also if it's a 4-banger it'll be boosted. Can't live without it now that I've had a taste!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I didn't vote but anything with the phase I Ej22 will be interesting to me as you can be my Guinea pig for what I do with my Ej22 😉

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 WRS-TI
127 Posts
Sounds like you're familiar with this, but what kind of ECU tuning is required running a EJ22 block with EJ25d heads? or EJ25 block with EJ22T heads? I'm running an EJ255 long block, but would like to put in a EJ257 shortblock!

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
Sounds like you're familiar with this, but what kind of ECU tuning is required running a EJ22 block with EJ25d heads? or EJ25 block with EJ22T heads? I'm running an EJ255 long block, but would like to put in a EJ257 shortblock!
Usually you can use the factory ECU with a piggyback as long as you retain all of the original sensors from the original ecu. Swapping over the cam wheels is usually necessary however. I ran a ej18 (sohc) with ej20g (dohc) heads and intake manifold. Swapped the ej18 stuff onto the 20g manifold and used the cam gear from the ej18 so the ignition timing would be right. Used a greddy emanage to modify fuel and timing from there.

What are the differences in the 255 long block vs 257? pistons? The crank is the same and I believe the block is also the same (semi closed deck).

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 WRS-TI
127 Posts
Usually you can use the factory ECU with a piggyback as long as you retain all of the original sensors from the original ecu. Swapping over the cam wheels is usually necessary however. I ran a ej18 (sohc) with ej20g (dohc) heads and intake manifold. Swapped the ej18 stuff onto the 20g manifold and used the cam gear from the ej18 so the ignition timing would be right. Used a greddy emanage to modify fuel and timing from there.

What are the differences in the 255 long block vs 257? pistons? The crank is the same and I believe the block is also the same (semi closed deck).
Hey, good info man! Did you get your overheating issue figured out? $500 dollars worth of gaskets on a wadded up paper towel left in the cooling system?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Nah I'm yanking the motor right now to find out but I believe the heads are just warped. I took them from a blown up motor and didn't have them machined, shame on me.

Got the EJ18/EJ22T motor rebuilt, just need to swap some stuff over like injectors, wiring, ignitor, throttle body...

Gonna be a late night.

·
Registered
Bluebird
690 Posts
I voted the 22 block/22t heads combo. Looks like you're already deep in it though, good luck and hope it's not too bad.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 WRS-TI
127 Posts
Nah I'm yanking the motor right now to find out but I believe the heads are just warped. I took them from a blown up motor and didn't have them machined, shame on me.

Got the EJ18/EJ22T motor rebuilt, just need to swap some stuff over like injectors, wiring, ignitor, throttle body...

Gonna be a late night.
"The power of boost compels you!"

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
"The power of boost compels you!"
F YES it does!

Flat4awd, I'm not surprised that was you.,
Unfortunately, I did some reading after making the poll and it seems the ej22t heads aren't very good besides being dual port. The small valves really hinder airflow. Apparently compression ratio is the same between the 22e and 22t heads. I probly won't use them for anything besides the 1.8 block, personally I think they suit it well.

For now, I got the 18/22t combo back in there, running better than ever at 13ish psi. Maybe 14. Definitely need some ignition retard to go more, but it feels as fast as the 22/25d did so that's cool. It's still pressurizing the crank and breathers which I have to chalk up to blow-by/leaking valve seals.

The 22/25d is going to the machine shop for sure because it's awesome and it'll go into something. Found my turbo oil return house absolutely annihilated. One piece became three connected by a thread. Probly had something to do with the smoking, and probly was caused by the up-pipe bracket not being connected to the back of the 25d head, where there's no useable bolt hole.

I'll leave the poll a little longer, but I'm leaning towards the ez30. I have a 97 Legacy L sedan 5mt that my brother crashed for me that will probly inherit the ej22d. We'll see. I think for now I'll focus on my SVX, although I was eyeing an FIC6...:naughty:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Pulled the trigger on the FIC 6, should be here Friday! :banana:

Forgot to order 2.2k resistors for the apparent crank/cam signal noise issue, maybe I'll get lucky and won't need them...

Excited.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 WRS-TI
127 Posts
F YES it does!

Flat4awd, I'm not surprised that was you.,
Unfortunately, I did some reading after making the poll and it seems the ej22t heads aren't very good besides being dual port. The small valves really hinder airflow. Apparently compression ratio is the same between the 22e and 22t heads. I probly won't use them for anything besides the 1.8 block, personally I think they suit it well.

For now, I got the 18/22t combo back in there, running better than ever at 13ish psi. Maybe 14. Definitely need some ignition retard to go more, but it feels as fast as the 22/25d did so that's cool. It's still pressurizing the crank and breathers which I have to chalk up to blow-by/leaking valve seals.

The 22/25d is going to the machine shop for sure because it's awesome and it'll go into something. Found my turbo oil return house absolutely annihilated. One piece became three connected by a thread. Probly had something to do with the smoking, and probly was caused by the up-pipe bracket not being connected to the back of the 25d head, where there's no useable bolt hole.

I'll leave the poll a little longer, but I'm leaning towards the ez30. I have a 97 Legacy L sedan 5mt that my brother crashed for me that will probly inherit the ej22d. We'll see. I think for now I'll focus on my SVX, although I was eyeing an FIC6...:naughty:

How about you experiment with a port job on the 22t head, get it machined, resurfaced and valve job, and either run it with the 18 or 25 block? You want to try something different, well according to wiki

"There were only 899 EJ22T models reaching the United States (and Canada?) between 1991-1994."

Just a thought. Do what works best for you.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I do like the idea of 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block with STI rods and pistons, add boost... But the machine work will be money I don't have right now. The 1.8 is running really well right now and I'll have ignition control soon enough. I've narrowed it down to the ez30d or the ej22d, the former being more reliable and better low end/drive-ability, the latter being an easier install and probly faster overall...

I want the 6 cylinder but I also want boost. Ej engines and parts are easier and cheaper to come by so I feel more comfortable tinkering with boost. I've got time to think about it.

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
I do like the idea of 2.2 heads on a 2.5 block with STI rods and pistons, add boost... But the machine work will be money I don't have right now. The 1.8 is running really well right now and I'll have ignition control soon enough. I've narrowed it down to the ez30d or the ej22d, the former being more reliable and better low end/drive-ability, the latter being an easier install and probly faster overall...

I want the 6 cylinder but I also want boost. Ej engines and parts are easier and cheaper to come by so I feel more comfortable tinkering with boost. I've got time to think about it.
I know we must have said something about this before but why not boost the EZ30? granted your only going to want 8-10 psi of boost but that should net you 300+ at the wheel

·
Registered
92 SVX Pearl White/Black
182 Posts
by the way, damn you work fast since I last logged on 2 complete motor swaps, lmao

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
by the way, damn you work fast since I last logged on 2 complete motor swaps, lmao
Thanks! I'm actually getting ready for another:help: although it won't be the ez30 yet...

I got the AEM FIC 6 on Wednesday, wired it in Friday morning, and spent all weekend tuning it. As far as the FIC6 goes, LOVE IT! At first I thought I was getting the 'subaru crank signal noise' due to missing at higher load and/or rpms, but it turned out I'm not very good at guessing a base tune when I've never tuned before. Weird, right?

Anyway, I started out trying to adjust the injectors output table to control fuel, but didn't get anything that was consistently smooth and driveable. I did a buttload of research on everything from Subarus to Chevys, MAF to MAP, OBD1/2... tons of reading for every type of setup.

Now I'm using the MAF table to dial back the signal to the ecu. Basically the same thing my potentiometer did, but this is obviously more versatile and precise. Fueling is cherry, running around pre boost AFR's are in the 14:1 area, and boost is about 12.75ish tapering to 12:1. :banana:

Next up was ignition. I used the 'create base ignition map' feature to take out 1 degree of timing per pound of boost... WAAAY to much retard. She was missing like crazy even at low boost. I have to run stock timing all the way up to 10psi, THEN start pulling it back, in very small increments.

Then there's the Injector Response Time, which I had to drop way down to keep from going crazy rich under boost and full throttle. The FIC6 also has a neat acceleration feature, that temporarily adds fuel for sudden throttle increases. Settings can be confusing and include:
Sensitivity [amount of throttle change required to trigger]
Fuel [% amount to increase fuel PER 'Sensitivity']
Limit [maximum % amount of fuel that can be added]
Time [delay after throttle increase before additional fuel tapers to zero]

So finally, Sunday night I managed to dial in a solid tune with great drive-ability and no missing or detonation, and promptly obliterate my turbo oil seal by being a dumbass and trying to block the pressure from my catch can. I plugged the breather for like a second, and smoke started billowing out of a leak between my turbo and downpipe. Now when I get into boost, my car creates this amazing smokescreen, and I can make daring escapes! And shut down the road....

I think my 'tuning' process just about killed my car anyway, the pressure coming out of my breathers and crank vent is unreal. Must've been those shitty felt gaskets :drunk:

101 - 120 of 208 Posts