Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
My buddy who mods the ez30d ecu's said he was getting reports of occational missfire codes with the LW flywheels.

I put an 06+ WRX clutch kit into my n/a gearbox, it required minimal grinding of one of the ribs. Should hold the power while have a gentle

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
So far my idle isn't completely consistent, but I've also got an O2-lean code due to my exhaust leak. Other than that it runs great. It's crazy how much faster the car feels just because I can shift way way faster. This thing is gonna be nuts with boost! I emailed your buddy a few times, I'll be sending him an ECU eventually, just had to get it running properly first.

Clutch-wise I'm fine with this for my race car, but I definitely won't go this route with the LGT. I think I'll have to just pony up the big bucks for a quality kit, as I want to go for about 450awhp and still be streetable.

And I'm steadily moving 'mr2 steering' up the priority list. Can't seem to have a power steering system in this car that doesn't leak all over the exhaust! I believe I've read about other Subarus being converted to electric steering, just need to relocate the threads and dump more money!
...eh maybe I'll just get new bellows...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Best time yet! I pulled my coupe into the garage at about 5pm, yanked the motor, drilled out the broken clutch fork pivot, and had the motor back in by about 7:30. Not fully reconnected but I'm glad it didn't take all weekend.

Drilling into the bellhousing was sketchy. I was psyched when the ez out actually grabbed it.

Hopefully I still have a chance to break my clutch in properly, I put about 20 miles or so on it with the broken pivot. Meh, might just try a 'hard break in!'

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
That's awesome that you got the broken pivot pin out. What was plan B if that didn't work?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Plan B was swap the transmission.
I've got a 97 Outback trans in the car, and a 98 Outback trans in storage. Different model numbers but identical gearing and diffs. It's good to have a backup!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Finally got my aluminum control arms installed with new ball joints, what a difference! I'd like to get the rear sway and rear strut bars installed next.

I tried welding nuts to the broken exhaust studs but no luck. They just snapped off shorter. Then I tried drilling them out, but again to no avail. They're drilled out as far as they can go and still won't budge, so I'll have to heli-coil them. Oh well. At this point the header leak is so loud it drowns out the rasp and actually sounds slightly better. Hooray?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
Pardon if you've already mentioned it, but what application are the aluminum control arms from?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
They're from a JDM GD sedan. I'm pretty sure the ad said STI but I don't know how true that is or if it matters.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
I got home from work today (lost pretty hard to a Mustang GT) and I could hear this weird squeaking from the engine bay. I pop the hood and see this:

Yeah I just shut the hood and grabbed a beer. I'll take the wagon to work tomorrow.
After 5k with no fluids I say it's earned it's rest. Now I gotta find a smaller belt until I get my spare pump and new, old, hopefully-not-leaking rack installed.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
734 Posts
Wow... I'm actually a bit impressed lol Is that the belt smoking or fluid from the pump?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Could've knocked me over with a feather when I opened my hood!
I had thought it was coming out through the top fitting, but now I believe it's actually the hose itself. It snapped off right at the fitting while removing the pump, and wasn't brittle when I put it on. The next day the PS pump WOULD NOT spin, don't know how much power that thing was sapping, but I bet it was hot!

Looking for a 6 rib, 13/16" wide, ~28" long belt. WHAT THE HELL IS ' 4/7" ' ??

221 - 232 of 232 Posts