• EZ30D

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
After driving a 4.44 swap around for a while, I'm beginning to think 4.11 is probably the sweet spot between 3.9 or 4.44. At least as far as acceleration goes coupled with highway driving. 4k rpm at 80mph isn't as bad as I thought but man the Ej22 just guzzles gas at that speed.

Well, I'm def not building this for economy heheh. Is there a noticeable difference between 4.11 and 4.44 acceleration wise? Iwangofast! Should I hold out for a 4.44?

I'll probly go 4.11 for the meantime to get rid of the CHATTER.
Yep. You'll notice a big difference in acceleration.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Well I guess I'm looking to go 4.44 then. In other news...

THIS MONTH:

GOALS
New steering rack
New DS control arm/ball joint
Rear sway bar
Rear strut bar
Front mount intercooler
Cruise control
Fog lights
EJ25D ecu swap(maybe)
Aaaaand I've got expensive things on the way for a PROPER motor build. :blow_money_original
:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
I've been waffling around like crazy on what to do with all my cars, but I think I've got a plan nailed down. I'm gonna move forward as planned with my GM, she'll get a built 2.2 with early Legacy RS heads. The WRX will get a 22e short block if the heads are salvageable, and the RS will get a rebuild with STI rods and pistons, hopefully. The knocking is slowly but surely getting worse.

These finally showed up so I'll bring them to the machine shop first thing tomorrow!

EJ22G!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
Not as much progress as I would have liked, but that's life.

Picked up some Tiens on WRX struts for cheap. Turns out they're lowering springs, but that's fine with me.

Chopped out the lower section of the center radiator support bar thing, to make room for a front mount intercooler I've had sitting around forever. I used a bracket I found on a job site to stabilize the remaining portion holding the hood latch. Worked a treat, everything is sturdier than stock!

Scooped up a beautiful CSF aluminum radiator. Thanks GC Beater!

And after I order some ARP head studs, I'll begin my monster 2.2 build!
EJ22E Block
Wiseco Pistons
Manley Rods
ACL Race Bearings
EJ20G HUGE Port Heads
TD06-20G?

Should be good.☀

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
Fmic

Got my front mount intercooler mostly mounted up. Once I add a support down from the crash bar, she'll be rock solid.

Also moved my power steering fluid cooler to one of the fog light holes. I may relocate it yet again if I decide I actually do want brake ducts...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
Random update:

Got my case halves back from the shop a little while ago, but they weren't hot tanked like I asked, only the head mating surfaces were cleaned, and, if the invoice is accurate, they bored the cylinders to the wrong diameter... It says 3.8385, which is the diameter of the poison. Being forged slugs, they need extra clearance, and I would've expected that to be included in the measurement under cylinder bore, no? So I think I'm looking for another machine shop, and the EJ22G build is postponed.

This shop looks good, anyone have any feedback?
Engine Rebuilding Performance Marine & Vintage - Automotive Machine Shop : MA,CT,RI,VT,NH,ME,NY,NJ

On the home front, I tapped a 98' 2.5 head for turbo oil return and coolant feed. Already has the port for turbo oil feed, just plugged with a bolt. I'm gonna use these DOHC heads on the '05 LGT(STI) short block I picked up a while back. Should be good.

And started mocking up my gauge pod. It'll be pretty simple, just a thin steel or aluminum half box, set into the dash in front of the removed center vent. I intend to keep the HVAC controls. I'm not much of a fabricator, but this seems simple enough, we'll see what happens.

Not sure what I wanna do today...
Clean-sand-paint wheels
Swap in new steering rack
Clean-disassemble-clean-sand-clean-paint-clean calipers
Redo engine wiring harness
Redo dash wiring harness
Redo ECU/FIC6 harness
Swap in Invidia DP
Sigh

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #207 (Edited)
Got the engine harness done, just ran out of large plastic sheathing. Now it doesn't run directly over the turbo!

Also discovered what I HOPE was the cause of the full throttle hurkey-jerkey I was experiencing. This is where the returns from the fuel rails tee together and go into the fuel pressure regulator.

Yup, FPR is backwards. ?

Edit: also realised I forgot an O ring behind the oil pump housing. ? ?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
Welp, I can't stick to a plan to save my life. With the discovery of my new 1997 LEGACY GT-

-my plans have again changed for the little 2 door Impreza. I'll be putting the H6 back in and going for broke. I'm thinking FP Red, there's a Red and Green on eBay now, 1300 each. I'll be holding off for now, but I like to keep my eye out.

Anyway, I drove about an hour West to grab these!

That's a slightly modified RallyArmor skid plate for the 1g Impreza, and next to it is it's replacement, a very solid home made 'upgrade' that seems like it'll fit fine and is waaay more diesel.

...$50 for the pair, what now! AND he threw in a band new brake seal kit, brand new brake line, and a brand new O2 sensor for free! I could've died. He's still got a few things I may go back for.

Anyway, much wiring, welding, and general mayhem awaits my '95, and it's gonna be awesome.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Major surgery the past two days! Everything came from the 02 RS, including the trans which is originally from a 98 outback.
I replaced the transmission (and rear diff and driveshaft), which finally lost third gear mid pull on a slight incline. It certainly was NOT the H6, the trans would've let go with the turbo 4 as it was much, much faster. The break happened at about 5k, so not like I was jarring the trans with rough shifting. I think it was cause I missed third and grinded it harder than I ever have in my life recently.
I also replaced the old leaking fuel tank with a newer one with all the sensors to make the EZ30 ECU happy. I also also replaced the rear subframe, rear control arms, lateral links, axles, knuckles, and 'T' brace. Unfortunately they're still on the og bushings but it's a vast improvement over what my 95 had going on. This also means I now have brackets on my lateral links to attach a rear sway bar! I have a bigass adjustable one I'll throw on after I've gotten used to the refreshed underside of the chassis.
A few complications arose in the form of not one, but TWO rotted sets of rear brake lines! Apparently the factory lines disintegrated long ago, and were replaced by someone other than a mechanic. Those decided to snap just about everywhere while I was disturbing things under the car so I took them from the RS as well. Unfortunately, on both cars, the lines that run the length of the chassis and are 90% inside snapped on the small part that's outside. So now I have no brakes for the moment, good thing I can downshift!
I couldn't get the speedo cable out of the 95 trans. The part meant for a wrench is plastic and soft, so out it comes with the trans.
Also I seem to have lost the correct linkage, and the 95 shifter linkage doesn't match the 07 linkage on my 98 transmission... I wire tied the shafts together but it's FORKED.
AND GD abs sensors don't plug and play, they need to be spliced. I'm not even trying to get the sensors out of the hubs (wait for the pics).

The good:
New trans has all the gears and none of the shaft noise! Shorter 4.11 gears should mean more grins when I can safely romp.
Fuel tank no leak.
Smoother, quieter ride.

The bad:
No brakes
No speedo
Can't access 5th or rev due to sloppy shifter

To do:
Fix brake lines
Locate and install my damn shifter
Install speedo cable
Swap front end stuff
Correct a wiring issue
Connect fuel tank sensors
Install interior
Adjust E-brakes
Somehow transform tires piece of rust back into a car

Oh yeah, I picked up a GT35 with rotated pipes for this thing... I am very excite!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Haven't driven this much lately.

I had the ez30 running sweet the first time I put it in, this time I've clearly botched the wiring as it runs beautifully at WOT yet surges at idle and cruise. The EGR valve will also click rapidly for a second or two with ignition on. I've narrowed it down to the main relay staying energized after key off, which was caused by a bad engine ground in my legacy. No such luck here, so I pulled basically the whole harness to trace it out and clean it up.

I've decided not to put the gt35 on this and instead go twin TD04's. Besides it being way overkill for a stock H6, I always wanted two turbos, and my idea for a compound setup unfortunately won't work with the ez30. After deleting ABS there will be plenty of room for the passenger turbo, and the battery has been in the trunk for a while. I expect snaking the downpipes will be the tough part.

Got a sweet lightweight flywheel for free, 11lbs on my scale.

Hellatones

And a little something for the haters

I tried a smaller one first, I thought it 'wouldn't be too much', but it was puny looking, and didn't fit the car at all. I'm sure some will say this doesn't either. I say it looks mean as hell.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
IMG_20200801_062732142_HDR.jpg

I've had the bulkhead harness, dash harness, and ecu-engine harness in and out twice and still the same issue. The main relay remains powered after key off, and the engine hunts/surges except at WOT.

I'll be swapping the ECU into one of my wagons to make sure I'm not wasting my time, but I'm pretty sure it's still a grounding issue. I'm really not sure though.

Def gonna spin my scoop since I'm not using it, and the damn thing tries to pull the hood off the car at speed, and it'll look killer.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
The more I dig into this car the stranger it gets. I assumed the 94 transmission was swapped in by a previous owner, but according to the info plate, that's the factory transmission for this 95 coupe. As well, there are several wiring discrepancies between my 95 schematic and my car. Several connectors in my car simply don't exist in the schematic and some of the wires are different colors and/or different pins for the same function.

Turns out my ECU is fried, likely from the first round of thinning the harness. Decided to start fresh with the ECU and harness from another donor h6. So I'm going through the entire chassis harness, wire by wire, stripping out everything I don't need and rearranging/shortening all the wiring behind the dash. Some day this thing's gonna purr!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #214

Above is the EZ30 harness. I've got the ECU, TCU, engine harness connectors, OBD2 port, and fuel tank sensors all branched off from two plugs that will connect the whole shebang to the Impreza chassis harness. The TCU connectors have that extra coil of wires for the resistors to emulate shift solenoids. Also got my discontinued signal converter wired into the patch harness rather than just into the cluster.

It took about three days of crouching on the floor, cutting, tracing, cross referencing, soldering, de-pinning and re-pinning connectors... I really hope this is it but I triple checked everything so here goes everything. If it still won't run right ill probably go back to a 4-cyl, I've got a few frankenmotors I want to build.

Below compares my harness to the rest of just the dash harness from the outback! And some of my soldered connections, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I can't reasonably pull them apart anyway.

Today:
Tape up EZ30 harness
Double check engine harness is correct
Quadruple check chassis harness is correct
Install EZ30 harness
Succeed or fail

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Fail.
Well, I didn't double check the engine harness. I looked it over and it appears to be unmolested, but I can't tell for sure as I definitely pulled some sheathing off to reroute a couple of connectors. Ugh.
I grounded the ECU and TCU cases and I saw an immediate improvement in my voltages (or lack thereof) across their pins. I think I need to actually go through the engine harness next and make sure it's not shorting out or that I botched a splice.

I tell ya, I miss driving this car. Anyone in New England wanna have a fall meet? I need some motivation.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I've just pulled the engine harness and my patch harness. I definitely did modify the engine harness, so I have to trace that out and see what I effed up. I'm pretty sure it's the engine harness at this point. The EGR valve actuates rapidly for 2 seconds or so at ignition on, so I'm looking at those wires first.

It's a good thing I had to pull the intake manifold to get the harness, because I found one of the coolant crossovers is leaking. At least I have too many Subaru parts.

Can anyone confirm the six speed clutch fork gets pushed TOWARDS the firewall? Is like to go 6mt at some point, but I also want to retain my cable clutch. Currently, said cable pulls the fork towards the firewall, so if the 6mt is the same direction I should think I can get the cable to attach and pull it.

Also, any ideas on what it'll take to get an ez30 to 9+krpm? Any at all?? I'm thinking rods, rod bolts, and bearings should be enough for the bottom end, but I'm a little concerned about the timing chain. I think I could increase oil pressure and possibly port the passages that feed the timing chain tensioners to keep things in line at higher rpms. The chain itself though...
I imagine motorcycle chains spin pretty fast in high gear, so if I could machine (have machined for me) a spacer for the timing cover and custom sprockets, perhaps I could adapt a motorcycle chain to the motor? I know, over the top, but I hear stock ez30's often rattle at just over 7k.
The musings of a madman, perhaps.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Oh my God you guys, all my anguish was the result of a dirty harness connector! I've removed and gone through this stupid harness five times now, and I finally had the brains to spray some contact cleaner in one of the engine harness connectors. I noticed some corrosion on a couple pins. Well, they happened to be the pins for the engine ground wires, and now that they're cleaned up the ez30 purrs like a big cat! Sounds like my motor knocks a little under load, but I've got a freshie with 140k to drop in with a lightweight flywheel and 6 pick clutch! FINALLY time to make use of that welded rear diff!

Once I get this thing cleaned, reassembled, and tidied up, I can get to work on my twin turbo setup! I am very excite!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
664 Posts
That sounds awesome! I have no idea what it would take to get an ez30d to rev that high, but I'd imagine it would involve valve springs and a full balance of 100% of the internals and clutch parts.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Finally got the knocking EZ30 swapped out for a smooth running 140k baby. It was a nightmare though; I couldn't have spilled more oil if I had tried, a bent flywheel inspection cover had me thinking my new motor was worse than the old one, and I snapped the clutch fork pivot ball off at the threads, so, idk what I'm gonna do about that.

Despite my best efforts with a hammer and punch, she's still stuck. Fortunately, the ball will happily stay in the fork, and it seems to sit close enough to where it's supposed to. I had to adjust the cable a bit, thank goodness it's not hydraulic, and it works as well as ever. For now.

11lb flywheel and six-puck clutch mounted. The lightness is rather noticeable! I've always felt auto-to-manual swaps have quicker rpm drops than factory manuals, and the LWFW just makes it crazy. Even shifting at redline I'm hustling to catch next gear without bogging it! It's awesome.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh... I'm gonna need to fix this clutch thing sooner than later. Mostly it's ok but occasionally it must move around in there, the pedal feeling gets wonky.
The LWFW is rather difficult to adjust to. If I'm not going near redline, I have to feather the gas a bit. A fun and interesting challenge, but not one I'd recommend for most.
The six puck clutch is brutal. I think my soft mounts and bushings coupled with the clutch fork issue are making it worse, but she shudders pretty good most take-offs. I'm hoping it smooths out as it wears in.

Oh ya spun my scoop:

I used to be genuinely concerned my hood was gonna fly up on the highway someday, but no longer. And I think it looks great too.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts