Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I'll be using a 2.2 block, so hopefully lag won't be an issue. Also the combustion chambers are reportedly the same volume, so compression should be the same either way.

The intake ports on the 20G heads are much larger than the 25D, which would suggest more airflow to me...

Also, if I use the 20G heads on the 2.2, I'll be able to put the 25D's back on the block they came from. I'll build a roster of engines I can just drop in. :projectsti.com:

18e block/22t heads
22e block/20g heads
251 block/25d heads (my 25d is from a '99 LGT)
EZ30... On the back burner.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Hey neighbor! Kinda, I'm right in Concord. I wasn't sure if The Shire was short for NH or not.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that beast of yours prowling the streets.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
Hey neighbor! Kinda, I'm right in Concord. I wasn't sure if The Shire was short for NH or not.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that beast of yours prowling the streets.
I am a big hobbit/LOR fan :banana:

Are you part of the GSS FB page? I am sure you'll see it out and about next summer hopefully.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
It's the return of the 1-8!
No way...
You're kidding...

NOPE!

I had to pull the H6 anyway to get at the rear main seal, and I decided that I want boost again. The H6+SC is gonna have to wait.

The re-swap was very straightforward since I never actually altered the wiring for the H4, just tucked it away and spliced the H6 stuff into the car. Unplug the EZ30 ECU and connect the EJ one. Done.

My 1.8 is in rough shape but in hoping it last long enough to get my 22D stuff back from the machine shop. I guess it would speed things up if I actually brought my stuff to the machine shop...

Anyway, been struggling setting the timing. I always manage to land one of the three shafts off by a tooth. Pretty sure all my valves are bent now. :unamused:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
No luck for you.
But maybe there is!

Could be that what I thought was the sound of valves meeting pistons was actually just the hydraulic lifters being noisy. After running it for a while they quieted down and the engine sounds much better. Unfortunately there are still some issues to work out, massive vacuum leaks being the most obnoxious.

Wishing I hadn't deleted my 1.8 maps...

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Mmmmmm stainlessness....

Looks nice but I won't know fitment till tonight or tomorrow. But I can guess how it'll fit for $200.

Also looks like it'll be louder than I expected :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
Update time!

I've had the EJ25D in there for a few weeks and it's been pretty great. The eBay exhaust is on and sounds AWESOME! It just hangs a little too low in the middle. It's tolerable but not great. The removable silencer is really nice though.
I started with a VF-11 and spool was incredible. I was making boost by 2000 RPM! But the poor little turbo was running out of puff in the upper revs at only 6ish pounds of boost.

So I slapped the TD-04 back on and turned it up to 10psi. This thing is no joke, happily breaks the wheels loose in first and has once in second! :projectsti.com:
I can see why the 2.5 is appreciated. Too bad that 79mm stroke annihilates bearings...

My EJ18 case halves and 22T heads are at the machinist getting spruced up. Here's the whole entire engine minus case halves.

When I get them back I'll be shooting for 20-22 psi, if the TD-04 can push it. If not Meanwhile, I'll be slowly accumulating pieces for a monster 2.2 build: forged goodies, fmic, 20g or bigger, and maybe even proper engine management!

I also picked up some 95 ej22 heads from a legacy. Dual port and roller rockers! Gotta figure out what to do with these, maybe a high comp N/A build...

Currently I'll be sinking the lion's share of my funds into my NEW whip...:naughty: :sunny: :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
The td04 was really huffing wind at 18-19psi on a 2.0 it's likely just going to be making hot air on the 2.5 at 20+. Can you monitor inlet temps?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Lol yea no intercooler is gonna handle that! I meant I'd be looking for that much boost on the 1.8 block. It's gotta be right on the edge.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Here we go again...

After replacing the drivers side exhaust cam seal, which I had to remove the cam itself to do so, I snapped both bolts for the front cam cap... with about .5 lb/ft. :wtf: Seriously I was just holding the head of the ratchet and swinging it to bring them to their seats and tick! It's loose again.
So I swap out the '98 heads for my '99 heads. I didn't have new gaskets, but the installed ones looked so clean...
Long story short, coolant diluted the oil to the point of spinning bearings. Parked.:(

The machine shop called and said the ej18 bores are a little out and should be bored out, but they can't locate oversized pistons. I haven't called the dealership yet, but other than that I couldn't either. I DID find that ej16 pistons are the same bore and offer a bump in compression, which could be great. If I was trying to go that far for 1.8L at this time.

So now an ej22 case is at the shop. The crank looks pretty bad, but I never heard it knocking.

That may have something to do with timing belt jumping...

These two are the best.

The pistons, rods, and case look good, but time will tell. If they're useable, I'll slide the 1.8 crank in there and finally drop the ej20g heads on there. Speaking of...

After hours of research, it seems I have the 'early Legacy ej20g' heads, with huge ports and huger combustion chambers! :naughty: While it's apparently impossible to locate the correct spark plug gaskets, I found them in the hardware bag from the machine shop!?

So now I wait. For the meantime:
-Order gaskets, bearings.
-Throw out bearing
-Wheel bearings
-Tidy engine bay, wiring
-Brakes
-RSB
-FMIC
-4.11 swap?
:projectsti.com:

Oh yeah, twice in a row payroll f'ed up so I haven't gotten paid for two weeks :curse: it's my money and I need it NOW!
Just wanted to vent.

·
Registered
105 Posts
After driving a 4.44 swap around for a while, I'm beginning to think 4.11 is probably the sweet spot between 3.9 or 4.44. At least as far as acceleration goes coupled with highway driving. 4k rpm at 80mph isn't as bad as I thought but man the Ej22 just guzzles gas at that speed.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
After driving a 4.44 swap around for a while, I'm beginning to think 4.11 is probably the sweet spot between 3.9 or 4.44. At least as far as acceleration goes coupled with highway driving. 4k rpm at 80mph isn't as bad as I thought but man the Ej22 just guzzles gas at that speed.
Well, I'm def not building this for economy heheh. Is there a noticeable difference between 4.11 and 4.44 acceleration wise? Iwangofast! Should I hold out for a 4.44?

I'll probly go 4.11 for the meantime to get rid of the CHATTER.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts