Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Black
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower bolts on my rear struts have become one with the struts. What tools have y'all used to remove these? The clearance is pretty tight on one of them. This isn't the first time I've removed these but I would just like to hear some other ideas.

Sent from my R800a

·
Registered
2000 RS 1992 SS
103 Posts
^+1 and a lot of liquid wrench. I tried wedging a screwdriver between the strut and the hub (with a hammer). It seemed to help the liquid wrench work. That beaker bar will work soon enough.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
PB Blaster and Impact gun. Works everytime. If the bolt is stubborn, see if you can smack the bolt/nut with a hammer to try and break the rust free, then try and loosen with impact gun, try wiggiling the nut forward and backward (as in switch from tighten/loosen, but don't tighten for too long). Same idea with a breaker bar (use at least a 5ft bar, but the longer the more leverage), but an impact gun will get your further.

All else fails, you could drive it to your local Subaru Dealer/other shop and have them use their skills and tricks to remove it.

·
Registered
98 Black RS GM6
843 Posts
^^

+1

I had an axle nut that was welded so badly to the hub that
I never did get that bastard off. I took it up to Pep Boys to
use their impact and that didnt work either. I finally replaced
the entire hub. Sucked. Either way, I hope it doesnt come to
that for you dude. Good luck!

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
In the days before I was blessed with air tools, PB then some work with a breaker bar and some kind of extension bar seemed to work on most anything.

... except the lateral link bolt, those continue to be, and can suck on, my Moby-Dick.

·
Registered
97 2.5 obs, 98 Legacy GT Daily
1,453 Posts
Its all been said before.

Torch it and either hit it with a strong impact gun or put a long ass breaker bar on it.

I once had the same issue on a legacy and none of the above worked. Hell a 1 inch impact didnt even budge it. I ended up grinding the bolt off both sides of the strut and junking the hub

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
If you can get the nut off the end, that's when you just hammer the shit out of it. Hammer it back and forth. Hopefully you can break it free.

If you grind off the bolt, pull the hub and see if you can press the remainder of it out. If not, junk it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.