Registered
00 Impreza RSTi 3 Tone Bishes
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've used quite a bit of them already, so far i've used:

1. O.E.M Filters
2. The green Quaker State ones
3. Good ol' Motomaster Formula One Filters

i've heard of other brands..can anybody share what they've seen or used?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
FWIW - Subaru OEM is made by Purolator

Just a little info on the OEM filters:

For H-6 motor they have an oil filter PN different than the H-4's. Everything about the filter is the same size wise, the bypass still opens up at 23 psi, but the filter material surface area for the H-6 is 201 sq/in VS 141 sq/in. for the H-4 filter.

PN for the H-4 = 15208AA060

PN for the H-6 = SOA5165109

I don't know if there is a price difference but it would seem that the H-6 filter might be a good to use on the H-4 too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
oil filter

I don't believe build quality is an issue for filters. Unless you don't change your filter with every oil change (~3000 miles) it isn't that big of a difference. Yeah, micron filtration, the way it looks, how many sq. inches of pleated surface, it all matters. But there are so many more variables in the oil itself also.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I don't believe build quality is an issue for filters.
Not sure about that one. The oil filter houses the valve that maintains the oil pressure. I'd rather go w/ a quality filter myself.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Now granted this did come from a Subaru dealer, but I've heard that "cheap" filters (FRAM, STP, etc.) have been known to literally explode (or maybe burst is a better term) on Subarus due to the higher oil pressure Subarus run.

I've used primarily Subaru oil filters but currently have a Bosch installed. (I've read too many bad reviews of FRAM oil filter build quality to ever use them again.)

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Here we go again.

Anyways, I've been using Fram filters on every 4 cylinder car I've owned since 1978 and have NEVER had a problem. Depending on how much I liked the car the oil was changed every 3k-7k miles.
Currently I primarily use AC Delco on my RS but I can recall using a Fram 2-4 times if I couldn't find a Delco and have never had a problem.

IMO, if the application guide says it fit, it OK in my book, just change the oil routinely:flame:

·
Registered
27 Posts
personally i like the k&n filters. they have a heavy duty valve in them and if youv'e tightened it down too much it has a 1" hex on the bottom so you can use a socket wrench rather than a filter wrench, or in some cases you won't have to stab it with a screw driver.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
The auto parts store I went to didnt have Bosch, so I'm going to use Purolator if it ever stops raining and I can get my ass outside. I think my car has replaced my wife :) I spend more time and money on my car now than her, lol

·
Registered
2000 Imprea 2.5 RS Sedan
54 Posts
Purolator Pure One

My oil (Amsoil) stays cleaner than with the OEM Subaru filter.

A member from the Toronto Subaru Club compared oil filters by cutting it open and found that the OEM Subaru (Six Star brand) had the less pleats compared with the Purolator Pure One.

And the price of the Pure One oil filter is just a little more than the OEM oil filter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Subie Gal said:
i've always used and always will use, OEM...

best fit, no leakage and they're cheap :)

Jamie www.subiegalracing.com
I got a dumb question here. If I wanted the dealer to change my oil could I bring my own oil that I wanted in my engine? Do you think they would laugh If I asked them that?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts