Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and didn't learn a whole lot :( But never fear, I stopped by too early and there will be new info coming out today.

For those that don't know, I'm talking about the 2003 North American International Auto Show. Yesterday was the start of press week so the show is still closed to the public but since I work for Michelin I usually get to go down there early and check it out. As soon as I finished my work responsibilities I headed straight for the Subaru booth and this is what I learned:

When I arrived I was disappointed to see that all of their cars except for the Baha were still covered up. Just like last year they had a central display with one car on a slanted ramp, it may have been covered up but I'd have to be a moron to not know it was an Impreza of some kind. I asked a woman at the desk and she gave me a few details. The first was that they are unveiling these cars today, at 4pm EST. Unfortunately I had to leave the show at 2pm and I'm now back at the office. She did mention that they might be simultaneously unveiling them on the website at 4PM but my last check of the site a few minutes ago didn't seem to support that. There was no hype or even a hint that it was coming.

Anyway on to the lovely details I got.. the woman admitted that it was indeed the 2004 WRX STi that was under the cover but that it wasn't what many people were expecting. Her crew was trained for it's unveiling yesterday and were quite suprised at the details. Unfortunately that's all I could get out of her but I was able to discern a few additional things from looking at the covered vehicle.

If you throw a blanket over your Subaru there are a few basic features that will stand out, the hood scoop, the general body shape and the rear wing. I couldn't tell for sure but it looked like it had a larger scoop than the current RS's/WRX's, I could be wrong there though. The two things I am absolutely sure of though are that the body style is unique from the current WRX, and that the spoiler is tall. The car resembles and might even be the same as the JDM WRX STi. It's a muscle car type look with "shelflike" curves, definately not a bubble car or anything like that. The spoiler is big like a 22B spoiler although i couldn't tell exactly what it looked like. It had a bookshelf appearance to it though, that I am sure of.

Anyway as I finish typing this the unveiling is only 20 minutes away. If I can get back down there again I will try to get a picture of it but this is the best I can do for now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The public week starts sometime this weekend and I already have tickets for that so if I can't make it down again this week I will be sure to get one next week. Some news site will probably have something up on it by then but if not I'll get one for you guys.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
The STi tachometer goes to 9,000 rpm. For weight savings, a sound system is not standard in the car, but Subaru dealers can install an optional unit, the company said.
no sound system, i like that! does it come with a roof scoop or a/c? i want roof scoop, so don't need a/c.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one at the show didn't have a roof scoop so it's definately not a standard feature. Maybe it will be an option from the dealer but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
engine

the Engine on the new STI will be a 300hp 2.5 liter turbo. the regular WRX will still have the 2.0 liter engine w/ same output.

:biggest:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts