Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
04 wrx wrb
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the borla header and injen intake....Am I going to notice a big diffrence?:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have the headers and a weapon r (same idea) intake. the sound is nice but, it will make you itch for the cat-back. as for power... you might feel the need for a bit more. your butt dyno on the other hand will be very happy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Jaships said:
I just ordered the borla header and injen intake....Am I going to notice a big diffrence?:D
Intake = Nice sound... probably won't hear it over the Borla's. Peformance wise... loss of low end and increase top end... not bad!

Headers = great sound.... performance unless you have a free flow catback won't notice anything but the sweet sound....

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have the same intake/header combo as you. together they compliment each other well. you will most likely notice more gains then myself since i still have the stock CAT (damn STS rules). Enjoy the sound and the performance!

*edit*

and I DID NOT notice any loss of low-end power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you have to have stock cats for STS? i thought as long as you had a cat, you could be sts. so something like an MRT midsection with a high flow cat would bump you out of STS?

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Re: Re: So I just ordered the injen intake and borla header

Deznuts05 said:
Intake = Nice sound... probably won't hear it over the Borla's. Peformance wise... loss of low end and increase top end... not bad!

Headers = great sound.... performance unless you have a free flow catback won't notice anything but the sweet sound....
you can hear the Injen over the borlas no problem... my friend has that setup...

You cannot however hear the Cobb over the MRT... (my setup...)

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Great combo. Got it on my '98.
I have no loss of low end with my current setup, the only time I recall any loss was back when I had the stock intake/filter and 2.5" exhaust, I countered with an Amsoil panel filter and a 97 Legacy intake and problem solved.

To help reduce the shock after each gear change I'm also slipping the clutch more now since I added the Boral...currently w/INJEN, Boral, stock cats, 2.5" Tanabe Hyper Medallion. When I jump on it I can definately hear the intake, that about the only thing I don't like, but it's the price I'll gladly pay to play.

If you haven't yet, get the STI engine and tranny mounts, a short shift bushing combo, and COLOR=tomato]try[/COLOR] the $8 grounding mod (it works for some - don't for others).

Other items that help retain of increase low end response are:
-avoid constant clutch abuse, keep pedal height adjusted within specs
-the throttle body bypass mod
-lightened crank pulley or a 14 lbs flywheel
-insulate metal intake piping
-vent engine with catch can and/or breather filter(s).
-maintain plugs, PCV, and fuel filter
-clean MAP port or MAF with electronic cleaner 2x annual
-clean air filter, inside intake and throttle body ~15k mls intervals
-use (injectors) fuel system cleaner, I do it about a week before a planned oil change
Accelerating can be fun:drool:

Oh, BTW I do not have all the above mods however I do all the maintenance items and more. Also I did not include a high flow cat because I have no personal knowledge that a high flow cat really improves low end over the stock cats/COLOR]. It might, I just have no knowledge of it doing so.

·
Registered
2013 SCION FRS WHITEOUT
638 Posts
i just got the borla header installed saturday. i have injen cai, apex n1 cat back, rallispec fast road cams, magnecore sparks/wires, kart boy short shifter...sti engine mounts...and some other stuff...but yea...my car officially sounds like a sexy beast. and the throttle response with the borla header got a lot better. seems like 3500rpm was when i started noticing some gain from the header...

·
Registered
352 Posts
mysubaruimp said:
you have to have stock cats for STS? i thought as long as you had a cat, you could be sts. so something like an MRT midsection with a high flow cat would bump you out of STS?
that is correct. we are not allowed to modify the CAT in STS. If I did that, I would have to jump to STX

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
The Cat rule is utterly rediculous...

If you can change your Struts, Cat back, Tires, and brake pads with whatever you want in a stock class why not a cat... that is a wear Item like the above mentioned... The reason they allow rediculous thing like double adjustable struts w/ external resevoirs in a stock class is because when they wrote the rules they figured why force someone to replace worn struts w/ factory units that cost more... This makes sense to a certain extent... just not to the extent of stock classes at Nationals...:rolleyes: But why do you have to replace a stock cat w/ a more expensive performance hurting cat when you can pay way less for a hi flow one? Stupid SCCA rules... :curse:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts