Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998, Outback, Green and Black
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so like i said i got the torque monster built. EJ25 block, EJ22 dual port heads, delta 2000 grinds, new pistons, rings, new main and rod bearings.
go it started and it makes horrible noise. LOTS of ticking.
should i be worried?

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
Did you check your valve lash? Forged or cast pistons? What clearances did you run? Oil pressure?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it all handled. the valve lash was a little to big on the number 3 cylinder and to tight on 4.

Did you check your valve lash? Forged or cast pistons? What clearances did you run? Oil pressure?
I have forged wiseco pistons, and i have an 04 sti oil pump. blew the first one up so i made damn sure to do it right the second time.

You're not revving this over 3000 RPM for 1000 miles while everything seals, right?
Yes. Again blew the first one up. not going to garage sale another one this month.

Also what are the chances i will be able to turbo this thing later on in it's life. I'm only thinking like five pounds.

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
Forged pistons will be louder. You could end up with a little piston slap depending on your piston to cyl wall clearances.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Not according to the guys at Delta. They said the 2k grind is just fine for a Turbo or SC. Optimal? Obviously not. But, the overlap is not enough to make it a "bad" idea.

What we really need is the guys from Delta (subaru rally guy) to chime in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was less concerned about the cams. i have stockers that i can put back in the heads or have those reground. my big concern was the ~11.5-11.7 cr. will the block be able to handle that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haven't done it yet. but that is what all the calculations said it would be. could actually be higher. let me tell you this seems to be a hell of an engine. i'm headed to a dyno in Bozeman, mt next month(no awd dynos in Boise) then we will actually see what kind of numbers it will put down as far as hp. what are the ej25 blocks rated at?

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
If it were that high you would have to be running 100 oct just to keep it from knocking. I wouldn't even think about boosting that motor.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
If it were that high you would have to be running 100 oct just to keep it from knocking. I wouldn't even think about boosting that motor.
+1 on no boost with that kind of compression.

Please be sure to take video of the dyno pulls though, I want to here what it counds like at full song with that high compression.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it sounds like a monster right now. i really haven't gone over 1/4 throttle and it will set you back in the seat. it is going to be so fun. and ya i run 94 octane with a bottle of 104 octane booster (the one with the black label). when i first started it all i had in the tank was 91. it sounded like it was going to blow up on the spot it was detonating so bad. but i pulled all the plugs and looked in the cylinders with a bore scope for any damage. 240 miles on it so far and it just keeps getting stronger.:) also i ordered the exhaust from the header back today oh and i have a set of borlas BTW.the only thing i need now is a good piggy back. i was thinking either emanage blue or safc neo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts