Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got back from the dealership, and they inspected the whole car and gave me a little list of issues that i need to fix :eek:mg:

the total cost to fix all of these things at the dealership was $$$4093:flame:
i just spent $950 getting my hubcaps and wheel bearings replaced on the back end of my car already, and now this..

LIST (prices include parts and labor)

oil pan - 225.63
head gasket assembly -
timing belt - $ 2383
2 valve cover gasket -

Clutch master cylinder fluid -
slave cylinder + hose - $ 390

power window regulator (right side) -
power window motor right side -$ 567

1 coil pack, 4 spark plugs, 4 spark plug wires - $515.16

so basicaly i have a leak coming from my engine, the head is leaking and the valve cover gasket is leaking i think (they said oil is leaking and they think coolant might be mixed with it), my oil pan is dented, my clutch has been being very weird, it wont fully depress out when i take my foot off of it, they said that the slave clutch cylinder is leaking, and my right window just stopped working 2 days ago they said it needs power window miotor and regulator.

I also got a CEL that indicated that my 4th cylinder is misfiring, and my gas indicator is not accurate!

i would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some suggestions on what to do about each problem, there is no way in hell im going to get it all done at the dealership because thats about 80% of what i paid for this thing, and $515 to get my sparkplugs and coils changed is rediculous.

the only cool thing about today was that they only charged me for a oil change and not for the inspection.. oh yeah and they washed my car.

thanks a lot!:puppy_dog

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Holy freaking crap dude.

Where do you live?

Edit: My advice. Burn it to the ground and get insurance money!... or swap it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5I
108 Posts
Buy a new engine... the amount you'll spend on repairing all that stuff is equal to a new engine. Or you could burn it thats also a good idea

-=Acex=-

·
Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i am located in calfiornia
i was thinking about getting a new engine, considering i got 143,000 miles on my engine right now, but isnt it super expensive to swap a engine as well???

im planning to do all i can by myself before i have to take it to get done. im just not that experienced to do the harder stuff

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
LIST

oil pan - 225.63 This is about 90 bucks and an couple hours of your time. Nothing big
head gasket assembly -
timing belt - $ 2383 HG is expensive :( shop around for a price for sure, also what mileage are you at? It could be under warranty still.

2 valve cover gasket - Rocker washers gaskets and spark plug boots are about 50 bucks and a 1 to 2 hour job to change for a complete learner

Clutch master cylinder fluid - Not sure about the master, but a slave can be had for about 50 bucks and about 10 minutes to change it (but bleeding it is another problem, get some help, but it can be done and is easy once you know how)
slave cylinder + hose - $ 390

power window regulator (right side) - Not sure, but you could probably find that in a junk yard for super cheap. good luckpower window motor right side -$ 567

1 coil pack, 4 spark plugs, 4 spark plug wires - $515.16 (Go to autozone, pepboys and buy these yourself. 4 plugs and 4 plug wires can be had for 50 bucks and it will take you all but 1 hour do to yourself. You should change the rocker washers and gaskets and spark plug gaskets when you do this. A coil pack is kinda expensive about 200 bucks, but very very easy to change.

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
do the work your self or find someone that will do it for you for cheaper.

my oil pan has been dented for years and I haven't had an issue. depends how bad the dent is to decide if you should leave it or get another one. otherwise buy used.

·
Premium Member
2011 Impreza WRX
565 Posts
Yea man you can go to Autozone or one of those cheap auto parts stores for the spark plugs and spark plug wires, the valve cover gasket I also need to do soon, I hear its nothing big... but the dealerships usually exaggerate on prices, just shop around... also look online for genuine Subaru parts and you can get a lot of stuff there

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
where CA you are in..i can do all of the repairs for you half price..
I just PMd the OT telling him there were tons of members on here that live in California and that there's definitely someone who will help him do all this work, assuming he can't do it himself. If he was in the tri-state, I'd help him out, but I won't travel 3,500 miles :lol:

Thanks JDMGC.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
I've got a passengers side window motor, and if someone can describe the regulator I can grab that too (got a parts car that's going to the junkyard soon).

·
Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i live in san diego, im hoping to try and do all i can by myself or hopefully someone else could help me, but i dont know where to start and what to do :run:
sigh!

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
I've got everything you'd need with the exeption of the gaskets. Ive got a coil, new plugs and wires, a great condition oil pan. This stuff isnt hard to do, go buy the haynes manual for the 99 legacy and it will have all the stuff for the 2.5 engine in it. and if you want the parts you need on the cheap, pm me.

·
Registered
00RS & 02WRX
1,439 Posts
I just PMd the OT telling him there were tons of members on here that live in California and that there's definitely someone who will help him do all this work, assuming he can't do it himself. If he was in the tri-state, I'd help him out, but I won't travel 3,500 miles :lol:

Thanks JDMGC.
too bad,he is in socal.i am norcal...500miles away..

·
Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
2,176 Posts
i am located in calfiornia
i was thinking about getting a new engine, considering i got 143,000 miles on my engine right now, but isnt it super expensive to swap a engine as well???

im planning to do all i can by myself before i have to take it to get done. im just not that experienced to do the harder stuff

if your located in SO CAl...hit up Kevin up at GT Imports.

they'll most likely cut the price in half... like they did to mine:clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts