Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone in the so cal area,
the infamous head gasket has finally caught up to me. i'm looking to swap a 2.0 wrx engine into it.
any shops out there you have had first hand experience or recommend?
so far i've found...
Prolific in Upland
Nightmotorsport in Fontana area
Renner in Torrance

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
348 Posts
Send your harnesses to iWire for the merge and get your bolt-on swap goodies from them, that's a no-brainer I think most everyone will agree to.
IMO, stay away from Night Motorsport, I'm rebuilding a swap that came from their shop and I am in total shock with how poorly this was handled.
I wish I could point you to a shop I know does the swaps well, but it's quite straightforward if the wiring is done correctly so find any reputable place that knows their Subarus and you should be alright.

Conversely, do it yourself :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can also try ubersport in orange Kelly and Kevin are experts in the Subaru world maintenance, swaps and builds. Tell them Gil sent you.

·
Registered
04 WRX Wagon w/2.1 stroker, 02 WRX Wagon w/ V7 ej207, and 01 2.5 GF Wagon
13 Posts
Definitely call Brian @ iWire for the harness merge. I worked with Brian for a year or 2. The dude is a perfectionist.*
I can tell you first hand that iWire does the best work out there. Save yourself the headache(s), call iWire and never look back. A lot of shops will tell you that they can do the wiring, don't let them. I've seen some things..

I'm also familiar with all of the above mentioned shops and know or have worked with some of the people that run them. I totally agree with both posts.

Do a ton of research before you get into this. Know your stuff before you start calling around.. unless you'd rather just throw money around and let other people do the work. Seriously though, get organized, make an excel spreadsheet, make a budget, collect parts, and learn what's actually involved in this process.

A bit of advice, stay completely stock until it's registered. Your car needs to pass the BAR inspection. It's not easy to do a clean, Cali smog legal swap. I've done a few swaps myself that passed BAR the first time around and have taken my own car into BAR. You can try to cut corners but you will fail the BAR inspection.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely call Brian @ iWire for the harness merge. I worked with Brian for a year or 2. The dude is a perfectionist.*
I can tell you first hand that iWire does the best work out there. Save yourself the headache(s), call iWire and never look back. A lot of shops will tell you that they can do the wiring, don't let them. I've seen some things..

I'm also familiar with all of the above mentioned shops and know or have worked with some of the people that run them. I totally agree with both posts.

Do a ton of research before you get into this. Know your stuff before you start calling around.. unless you'd rather just throw money around and let other people do the work. Seriously though, get organized, make an excel spreadsheet, make a budget, collect parts, and learn what's actually involved in this process.

A bit of advice, stay completely stock until it's registered. Your car needs to pass the BAR inspection. It's not easy to do a clean, Cali smog legal swap. I've done a few swaps myself that passed BAR the first time around and have taken my own car into BAR. You can try to cut corners but you will fail the BAR inspection.
for sure everything pre cat is all oe items
let's say i get the usdm wrx engine and ecu, do i send my 2.5rs harness out to iwire? therefore i don't even need the wrx harness, right?

how was the bar process? what docs did you need?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to send your 2.5RS bulkhead harness, your WRX bulkhead harness, and your WRX engine harness.

I recently had a USDM ej205 swap done by AQ Motorsports, with wiring done by iWire. Both shops are extremely professional and a pleasure to deal with. The swap performed by AQ has been running great since they first cranked the engine, and I was able to pass the BAR referee inspection on the first attempt.

For the BAR ref inspection, I had to supply a printout from a dealership showing the model/year of the ECU and verification it was not altered. Timmons performed that work and Jon there took great care of my car.

They also asked me to email them a copy of the receipt for the work that AQ performed. The woman said it was the cleanest swap that she’d ever seen.

·
Registered
1999/2017 RSTI
221 Posts
Honestly if you go iwire, the hardest part of the entire swap will be taking the wiring harness out of the car... if you get iwire to do it, you can do anything else yourself or at a capable mechanic just replacing GD parts with the RS, even IF (not in my experience) iwire screws anything up they have good documentation and procedures to get to the problem very quickly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts