Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told by the Subaru dealership that mounting snow tires on 15 inch rims are better in the snow that my stock 16 inch rims. Does anyone know which size is better or does it even matter? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
I much prefer 16s. True enough a skinnier tire is better in the snow, but you could always get WRX rims and go with 195s anyway. Most importantly, you are already giving up a good deal of dry weather performance, do you really want even less tread and more sidewall flex? I don't. Regardless, I find my stocked sized snow tires to work wonderfully.

·
Registered
613 Posts
one of each here! i have an rs with 16"fat tires and a legacy L with 15" skinny tires. both wear the same pattern weathermaster studless. the legacy L kicks ass. the smaller the contact patch on snow, the better. as far as dry grip with snowtires, the bigger are better but not much. like two percent or so. my rs can walk right out it's contact patches with the snowtires and having to resort to them is always a drag.
my question; will 15" tires fit an rs? you can get 16" steel wheels with a narrow tires

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Well, for the record, I have just purchased a set of steelies from www.tirerack.com for $38 each. They said that these 15" steelies will fit an RS perfectly. They are a bit heavy though (the box with two steelies weighs about 38 lbs). Time to slap on some Kumho KW11 winter rubber in 195/65-15. I can't wait for the snow! :drool:

·
Registered
Silver '99 Impreza 2.5 RS
118 Posts
I got a set of four 15x6 Subaru factory steel take offs from my local dealer for $99. Mounted 195/65/15 Kelly Wintermarks on them and run them in the winter and for rallycross.

The thing I like about 15s is the extra sidewall height. The mountain roads get really crappy around here in the winter, and any extra padding between the wheel and the road is a plus in my book.

YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sean
www.subrew.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back to Subaru yesterday and they are now recommending the 16 inch tires and rims. I just bought 4 steel rims with mounted Michelin Alpines. I now have three sets of rims: one set of 17 inch titanium chrome with new tires, one set of 15 inch steel rims with snows, and the stock 16s. Don't know whether I should use the 15s this winter or sell them to buy snows on the stock rims. I live on a dirt roads with lots of snow and little plowing. Last winter the stock tires and rims were fine, but I would like the added safety of snow tires. My understanding is that it really does not matter if the rims are 15 inch or 16 inch. Do you notice a huge difference with snows or does it make minimal difference? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts