Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
I'M DEBT FREE!!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Okay, let me put my flame suit on before I start.) Got a bug up the butt about my car lately. It's turning out to be a more "raw" experience than I thought it would. I guess the wheel bearing thing, the road noise, exhaust noise, squeeks, rattles, etc. have contributed alot to my feelings of dissatisfaction.

I stopped at the local VW dealership on the way home. I've been reading up on the new Jetta GLI with the new 201 hp VR6. They didn't have one, so I tested out a GTi with the same engine. What a freakin' awesome ride.

What tripped me out most was the sales "associate" just handed me the keys and said c'ya! Those are the best. I'd rather drive by myself anyway. I enjoyed dogging it with nobody in the car! :devil:

It was so nice to have extra torque on demand. Even in sixth gear you could put your foot in it and it'd scoot. It's got a nice growl when you down shift to pass. And pass it does. I was doing 90 through traffic before I realized how fast I was going. Barely any wind noise from the side mirrors. I love that solid German build quality. This thing is a vault!

It took a little getting used to the seats and shifter. The seats are more supportive than the RS. I loved the feel and look of the cloth. I think I'd like to move up to the leather though. But, the shifter felt like it had a longer reach and softer feel than my RS.

Overall ride was amazingly pliant, but sporty. I dove into the u-turns pretty hard and didn't feel like the tires would break away. They also didn't squeel too much. The 17" Michelins did a decent job. I'd prefer some better performance tires. One thing I did notice is that it goes exactly where you point it.

I'd say this car is definitely kick butt. I think I'd like to try the Jetta just to see if the size/weight difference from the GTi is significant. I also like the idea of 4 doors and a trunk. I'm glad VW finally updated the VR6 engine. Now all they need to do is offer their 4-Motion in the GTi and it'll be tough to resist!! :D

Adam

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
What do you need the flame retardent suit for?
I love the GTi also, I think it is a bad ass car.
I have been trying to convince my mom to get one. That would be a lot of fun. haha.
But I say definitely go for it if you can get a good deal and it is what you want. They are great cars.

·
Registered
95 L Swap Sedan, 01 RS coupe, 05 STI
220 Posts
Bohanan said:
I love that solid German build quality. This thing is a vault!

I believe they are built in Puebla, Mexico along with the Beetles. I love the design and engineering of VW's but the build quality itself is where the come up short. David Smith can tell you all you need to know about VW build quality.

Sweet car though!

·
Registered
I'M DEBT FREE!!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I might have to check with David on that. I noticed the window sticker had the content numbers. 65% Germany & 35% Mexico (or something very close to those #'s).

Zeo, I just wanted to be prepared for the replies from the die-hard, never-gonna-drive-nothin'-but-a-Subaru folks. :D Don't get me wrong, my car has been a hoot. But, I'm always looking ahead. You never know when the wife is going to say, "Guess what, it's twins!" or something like that. :eek: I'd like to eventually get a 4 door. Maybe the new turbo Legacy will be worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Ahh, excellent thinking Bohanan. You are a good man. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts