Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02MBP/07 2.5i SB&HEADS/DT:STG2
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while rechecking everything, after putting it all back together... i noticed smoke coming off the center pipe (stock header), where it comes in to one. i can't see a leak anywhere & no noticeable oil loss..... so, what is it. that's right where the rear main seal would leak to, yes/no?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what would cause the dip stick to be bone dry if the engine is not?

i have been checking the levels regularly after driving. due to what seems to be a leak somewhere onto the center pipe (see above). levels have been fine.

today, i check after driving it & it's bone dry.... i freaked. put in a quart. pulled the dipstick & it was way over full. so, i drained all the oil. put 4 quarts back in. drained the oil out of the catch pan, into empty quart bottles & the engine had almost just as much oil as I had put in.... so, I do have a small leak somewhere dripping onto the center pipe.

BUT, why would the dip stick show bone dry when there is plenty of oil in it?

short version:

engine had just under 4 quarts in it.
dip stick showed bone dry.
how?
car had been driven 3 times today.
car was plenty warm.
car was on a very level spot.

low pressure?

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
pressure should not have anything to do with the lvl on the dip stick. because with the motor off you should have zero oil psi. if you had and older DOHC motor i would say your oil seperator cover was leakin but if you have and 02 im not aware of that problem with them.

here is how i would find the leak

Pull you headers and cats. clean the bottom of the motor and i mean get it to shine
drive for a day or so and keep watchin where it gets dirty first.

it sould like alot of work but if you can't find a leak some other place you kinda got to do somthing nuts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i laid & thought last night.... this is what I came up with too. good idea.
problem is I would have to do this at a car wash... as I can't get a hose out to my parking lot & no one else is going to let me drown their garage floor in engine degreaser & oil!

need to also add, that today the level on the dipstick shows too high... :confused:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, that's a new approach. always read & have heard to check it warm, after letting it sit for a few minutes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
FalconRS said:
Should be checking your oil when it's stone-cold, not hot, that's when the stick will be accurate. If you're over-full when cold, you need to drain some out.
This is not correct, You should always check your oil at operating temperature. There is nothing wrong with checking it when it is cold but it is not an accurate reading. I am not talking out my ass either it is in the factory service manual. I run my car to Red line a lot and I am starting to burn oil its not bad yet but I need to check it at least once a week. when I fill the car I put in 5 quarts, the book says something like 4.6 quarts but a little extra oil does not hurt.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
amorton said:
This is not correct, You should always check your oil at operating temperature. There is nothing wrong with checking it when it is cold but it is not an accurate reading.
Read again. Never specifies temperature. It says to wait after driving for all oil to drain back to the pan before checking. Because people are idiots and impatient, and "wait a few minutes" usually translates to "bah, this should be long enough" after 30 seconds of waiting (not nearly enough time in a boxer engine), it's just far easier to tell em to check it cold.

EDIT: FYI, shop manual is open on my desktop right now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
FalconRS said:
Read again. Never specifies temperature. It says to wait after driving for all oil to drain back to the pan before checking. .

EDIT: FYI, shop manual is open on my desktop right now.
Read bullet the next paragraph down bullet number 6: "Just after driving or while engine is warm, engine oil level may show in the range between the "F" line and the notch mark This is caused by thermal expansion of the engine oil."

That is right out of the book, which yes I also happen to have in front of me.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
So, would you like your oil to be below the F-line when you're first starting it up in the morning?

Personally, I'd rather know EXACTLY what my oil level is, not some broad variable range where it roughly sits. When it's cold, you've got an exact reading.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:corn: good debate....
amorton, a little extra doesn't. but i believe a half a quart could.

but back to my issue, it is either leaking from the tranny cooler line, or from the oil seal by the cam. those are the only two places where fresh oil is visible. not sure how it would get back to the center pipe from there....... but the back of the engine is clean. so, it's not coming from there.

i had a race shop do my heads... so, if it is coming from there... well, looks like they'll be fixing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts