Smitches garage 99 RS, 00 OBS

52K views 277 replies 69 participants last post by  scruff3333 
#1 · (Edited)
Smitch's garage 99 RS, 00 OBS

Mod list:
Power-
Version 8 twinscroll 2.0 sti motor
US 6 Speed with brembo, hubs, axles, control arms and lateral links
Act Street clutch with greddy lightweight flywheel.
Sold..Version 5 transmission 4.44 gears, mechanical lsd in the rear
Toda ten pound flywheel, Exedy three puck clutch (nasty combo)
Custom downpipe, three inch ss chrome exhaust.
Ghetto ebay fender CAI
Not tuned yet, waiting for a front mount and meth injection

Handling-
Tein Flex 6/5k with edfc
Perrin rear bar, with solid clunky endlinks
Tribeca bar up front with noltec front links
OBX rear trailing arms.
Rear strut bar
2.5 camber in the front, 1.5 rear, not so great caster at 3.5
Rota Torque R, 17x9 30 offset, Falken 615 245/45/17 for now, wider to come
Sold STi BBS wheels, RE070 bald tires

Stopping-
Brembo all four corners
Power Slot STi Rotors
Hawk HP pads
Subaru Four pots with WRX rotors
Ferodo front pads 2500
H6/legacy rear rotor upgrade
Axis ultimates rear pads
Stainless lines

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Sold Halloween 2007

Car2: 2000 Subaru Impreza SPT Outback Sport
Mods:
Power/Driveline-
2002 WRX motor and tranny swap in progress.
up pipe, down pipe, hks carbon fiber exhaust
Injen cai intake

Handling:
-Kyb struts with P1 springs.
-WRX factor rear swaybar, tribeca front bar.

Stopping-
-WRX front 2 pot calipers, rotors with caliper brackets
-Axiss Ultimates front pads
-Stock WRX spindle upgrade, from drums to rotors

OldVVVVV
This vehicle will be my project wagon once shes paid off. Look for updates starting next summer. (Edit..she's paid for in full, but now I have the 22b kit to fund. This car is on the back burner for a while.)

Update: I found a 2000 L that was totaled up past Detroit. The car already had the swap done. I really didn't want to buy it but couldn't pass up the price I bought it for. After selling off most of the parts I've recouped more than I thought I would. I still have a few more items to sell. So now the wagon is back to priority and the rs is yet again looking like a winter time project.

Story time....

July 3- Make the trip up past Detroit, four hour drive. Get to the guys house, rip off the rear bumper, front grill, tape the hood down with duct tape and screw on a license plate to the trunk. Start up the car and drive a totaled car back home.....stupid...I know.

July 4- Strip out the interior and exterior

July 5- Some friends (Mike, Mike and Dave) come over and pull the motor, transmission, engine harness, diffs, struts and whatevers left.

July 11, pull the cross member and reinstall the rear cross member
July 12- ghetto time! The car goes off to the scrapper, via an engine hoist and a tiny trailer. 180.00 dollars back for the shell! Big thanks to my buddy Meaty. 3 hours in the rain to get the shell on the trailer and to the scrap yard.

July 15- Pull the wagon in, organize the garage (only to unorganized it the same day). Pull the dash, Heater core, and start after wiring. Keep in mind this is two harnesses in the car. I would do a little at a time, paranoid that I would forget how the wire was run.

July 16-Started putting the interior back together.

I probably jumped the gun on putting the interior back together, but we know the wiring is good (crosses fingers) because it came out of a already working swapped car. I put the 1995 World Rally Championship seats in too, just no pictures yet.

July 18 out to the fender with the wiring, most of the dash is in

July 22 Old motor out, pedal box in (should of put that in before the wiring).

My buddy M@.

July 25, new motor and trans go in, thanks to my buddy Todd James

July 26, Wagon Mike and Giant Jay came and helped. I got the drivetrain in, axles, drive shaft, suspension on with Jays help. Mike handled the engine compartment.

July 28, the wagon is up and running. Pulls real good. Im betting I hit my goal of 13.2 without an other modifications first time out. If not it will be real close.
Frank is not amused.

July 31, hooked up the gauges and got my steering wheel on straight.

August 1, Alignment, air conditioner recharged and an oil change

August 3, Exactly one month later we're going autoxing!

Sold the wagon on October 31, Halloween to a friend. I did manage to take it down the drag strip before I sold her. The wagoon ran a 13.43 at 103mph.

Erin says, "Hey you guys!"

#4 · (Edited)
This is now my 04 Project space, deleted some old photos

I bought a 04 Sti with a blown motor for $5,500. It wasnt quite that easy though.

Dec 21, 08- It was two degrees outside with twenty mph wind I go and look at the car. It was dark and super cold. Put a deposit to hold it until Tuesday.

Dec 23, 08-
12:15pm During lunch pick up step dads truck.
4:20pm After work pick up car hauler from Uhaul
5:40pm Leave Uhaul finally with trailer
7:00pm Matt makes it out to the farm house and we take off in the freezing rain to Nobelsville.

(look we're happy)

Escape death a few time on the way there.

Spent an hour stuck in traffic less then a half an hour away from the car.

12:ish arrive at cars home and quickly find I cant back a truck and trailer up to save my. Pay the guy and spend an hour in the freezing rain, snow and ice getting the car on the trailer.

(can you read Matts mind??? How about his finger??? Not so happy now)

1:40am on our way home, soak'n wet, cold, more bad weather, more delays.

(Im getting real sleepy. Matt's sleeping. I took a picture but it was kind of creepy, like I was a pervert or something.)

(still stuck in traffic, maybe move twenty feet in a couple of hours)

5:ish am Im starting to nod off at the wheel. I keep rolling down the window and slapping myself in the face to keep awake. Matt wakes up and starts talking, really helped to keep me alert. We are driving anywhere from 30 to 50mph now.

6:40- Get home. I take a nap. Matt takes off to go to work at 8:00. Dudes my hero.

8:15 Mom wakes me up. I took a nap at her house. I leave to drop the car off at Todds house.

9:00am- Todd backs the trailer up like no ones business and we quickly unload the car.

Then Todd ask if I took any pictures of the car on the trailer........Doh!

9:30am- Drop off the trailer. The guy at the shop has to back it up. Again because I suck.

10:00am- Drop off the truck back at moms house.

10:30 Quickly leave and head back home

11:00 return home to find out we dont have any power and get ready to go to Christmas Eve party at Mother-in-laws. The rest of the story is much more boring then even the one told.

Friday 12/26/08 go to see just what I bought. I brought some cleaning supplies to Todds house to give the sti a bath and see just what I spent money on.

I stripped out the wiring for an amp, five neon lights and a bunch of crap.

Found a huge hole in the motor with pieces of ring and the block all over the place.

Dec 31-08, should be picking up an 07 motor with 10,000 miles on it.

Got the motor out.

Found out the turbo is shot.

Drove just about 5 hours to get my 07 sti motor that I was told would be plug and play only to find out it has a completely different wiring harness. Leave with no motor:mad:. Sorry Dave.

Take the good with the bad.

New motor should be here tomorrow 1/9/09.

#6 · (Edited)
2001 Impreza RS RallyX car
-Cobb equal length headers, exhaust, shifter and intake
-Cusco swaybar rear, strut bars front and rear
-Full cage
-Whiteline solid endlinks (cheapies), trailing arm bushings and steering rack bushings.
-Cooper snow and mud tires.
-Kyb struts with obs springs, noltec caster camber plates.

#17 · (Edited)
^^^ The scoop has two ripples in it, the vents dont fit that well. The undersides are fiberglass and unfinished. There are imperfections in the clear and in the weave. I got what I paid for though.

Side note.... I'll be picking this up Febuary 16th. Just put a deposit down.

2001 RS coupe 80,000 miles 5 speed. Lots of aftermarket stuff.

#18 · (Edited)
Flipping heck Chris! You really are going to town on the Impreza. I hope I can move in that general direction with my car once I'm done with college next year.

Is the wrx wagon FSB the US version? Any fitment issues with the Noltec links? I know DScamp (Daniel) has been having issues with his FSB/endlink setup with the V8 JDM motor.

#20 ·
Flipping heck Chris! You really are going to town on the Impreza.
Matt, Hey I was thinking about you today:color:, well more so the Justy. I saw some old camping photos of the ol'girl and it brought back some fond memories. I hope shes treating you good. I almost did you follow up, just to check up and see.

Yeah the white RS is getting the royal treatment this year and will be down most of the autox season. I'm also going to miss out on the gingerman honda track day...bummed. I'm buying the above black rs to 'feed the need for speed' this year. Im really stoked on rallyx and hope to get more involved.

To answer your question on the wrx sway bar and the noltec endlinks....No problem other than I would like a bigger bar up front. I dont have any binding problems and it doesnt seem to interfer with anything. I do have the jdm crossmember on there too, maybe thats the difference???

I'm going to try out the Tribeca bar this summer. I hope I have better results than I did with the wagon. I put the tribeca bar on the wagon and had big binding problems. The damn thing sounded like it was going spring off the car. I seriously thought I was going to break an endlink. So I just disconnected it for the winter.

#24 ·
Add three more pictures to the second post. Got the DIY cold air intake almost done. Next is the BOV pluming and the catch can.

Tomorrow I pick up the rallyx car! So excited! I got my five point G force harness for it already.

#26 ·
^^^I was checking out your OBS the other day. You started modding that thing in a hurry. Its coming along quite nice. My obs has been placed on hold until I get further along with the RS. Its been really cold here lately and its my daily so I dont want to rip into it to far. I have a giant list of stuff that needs to get done.

#33 · (Edited)
What are you plans for the rally one? what kinda engine,drivetrain, suspension is it running? updates damn it :)
The plans for the rally one (which I just brought back home after a 10 hour round trip drive about 30 minutes ago) is to take the Jic coilovers off of it and put some sort of a strut rallyx friendly suspension on.

Other than that its done...sure theres a bunch of little stuff that Im going to do to make it mine. I still have seat belts to install. There are no plans of swapping or motor upgrades as of right now. For the dirt the rs is plenty fast for a 'new to dirt driver'.

The car has Cusco front and rear bars, full cage. Whiteline sways with links front, rear and bushings in the important places. Cobb everything, intake, full exhaust. ACT clutch and maybe Act lite weight flywheel, its definitely lite weight. The car also has front skid plate and a diff protector. It still has to get stickered up rally car style.

The main plan is to beat the ever loving piss out of it and have a huge smile on my face.

cant wait to see car 1 completed:D
X2, The rallyx car will be the first to be done. Next the wide one.

Yep that garage looks plenty big enough for 4 guys 2 subarus and a weekend of swapping :)
By the time your back in the states, ready to swap, I'll probably be in a new house. That is if everything goes to plan. I'm seriously looking for a place with some farm land to rallyx in. I doubt it will happen, but I can dream.

so you now have 3? what is the wide body status? cause its going to be sweet.
Three it is. Wide body status is a long time away. Im hoping to have it wrapped up late summer with new rims and tires. Really its hard to tell. I bought a four door kit, that Im trying to sell the rear portion so I can buy the correct coupe rear fenders. Its going to be sweet when its done, just going to be while. Thats kind of why I picked up the black rs to fill my racing void.

Guy below its probably a early l'aunsport kit, again rear four door portion for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.